Automatically process the Navi OK screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Automatically process the Navi OK screen

Tonight, thanks to Timmay77, I was finally able to test out a module to automatically process the 'OK' screen that pops up every time you start the car. KPtechnologies has always offered this product for the '03-'06 G35, but starting in '07 things changed and our module was no longer compatible.

The new navigation system is much more complicated due to the fact that the OK button signal is multiplexed with a bunch of other signals. This means that a single wire can no longer interface with the system like in previous years.

KPtechnologies was able to tap in to data bus and extract only the information we need, and also insert data where needed (the OK button can be read in and sent out from the module).

In addition, the module has the ability to allow programming while the vehicle is in motion. This allows the driver and/or passengers to adjust the navi system while the vehicle is in motion. This is acomplished by cutting the vehicle speed signal sent to the navigation unit, just like in previous years.

To get this working, we through together several different custom modules. If there is enough interest we can have a new board made that would make it one package and a little easier to install. I would need at least 25 people committed to purchasing the module (small non refundable downpayment or payment in full) to get this going. The purchase price is expected to be around $99 and would include everything needed for the installation. This is NOT a plug in play installation. The installation actually wasn't too bad, as this car comes apart rather easily. You do have to solder two wires to back of the circuit board, but there is a great place to do it - right on the jack that the cable plugs in to. I will post pictures of this later, when I have more time.

For complete information please keep an eye on: http://kptechnologies.com/forums/vie...hp?p=2418#2418

Mods and Admins, please note that this product does NOT allow video to be played while the vehicle is in motion, so this discussion is not in violation of forum rules. There are several GPS units and car manufacturers who do not require a 'liability' screen to be processed each time the vehicle is started nor do they prevent programming while moving.

UPDATE:

The NI35 is NOW shipping and available for '07-up G35 and G37 coupes and sedans! It has also been tested on the new FX35. The module is available for purchase from www.KPtechnologies.com for $99.99.

Last edited by KPierson; 10-13-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This sounds good, I may be in if you can give me some more information.

When the nav entry is unlocked while in motion, does the GPS unit still work and will it still track my progress as I move down the road? or does it completely kill the motion info and the car appears to be stopped on the nav screen?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything works perfectly, nav tracking, everything. Kevin did an AMAZING job working on my car. KPtechnologies is the real deal, feel confident purchasing any of the modules that they sell. This was no easy task. I have been a Mechanical Engineer for 10 years and this guy impressed the hell out of me! I actually just got done emailing him on info to buy some of his other modules. I hope I'm not stealing your thunder Kevin, just wanted to help out....

Last edited by timmay77; 12-18-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
How hard is it for a novice like me? Although it is very tempting, I'm not so sure if I can install it myself. I've done several car stereo installations, but I'm sure it is far harder than that. Also, if the navigation is controllable while driving the car, why is that the video is not playable?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Banned
I will have detailed installation pictures posted tonight or tomorrow on the KPtechnologies website. It's not the easiest install, but it isn't too bad. The circuit board provides a very nice place to solder on, so if you have a pencil iron you shouldn't have a problem. The car comes apart easily and all the wires are in the same area so that makes things easier. This installation was actually a bit more difficult because of the mixing and matching of modules, there were a bunch more wires and relays needed. However, with a purpose built module we can consolidate most of stuff.

If the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is "bypassed" the unit will think the car is standing still so the navigation will NOT update. The unit contains a "smart' VSS bypass mode that will only keep the VSS signal bypassed while the navigation unit is being bypassed. Once programming has stopped for 20 seconds the VSS will automatically be restored. Also, keep in mind, that this bypass is triggered right from the 'OK' button, so it is very convenient. During our testing last night, we observed that when the VSS signal was restored the position was updated almost immediately, so this shouldn't be much of an issue. Any other speed based calculations (MPG,maintenence periods, etc) made by the Navi unit will be compromised.

The video input requires the parking brake to be depressed. Our module has no 'parking brake' output, and will never have such an output because of the liability. KPtechnologies will NOT provide a solution that will allow video while thie car is in motion for the same reasons the discussions are prohibited here - large amounts of liability.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be interested in this as well. Please contact me if you need me.

Nick

Old 12-19-2007, 09:25 AM
awesome!!!! i hope someone gets it and tests it out and gives us all positive feedback...i hate that ok screen and i hate having to pull over to do any mods on my navi screen....i also dont care for watching anything on the screen but i do hate not being able to adjust setting on the actual nav

thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 10:52 AM
OK, so during programming you DO loose the positioning during the programming time and for 20 seconds after programming is complete.

One more question, there are some things that we can do today while in motion, i.e. search the first 5 points of interest. Will those remain and while programming those current features will we still maintain positioning? or will the module make it so that ALL programming stop the positioning?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned
When the VSS bypass is not activated the Navi system will function 100% like stock.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by KPierson
When the VSS bypass is not activated the Navi system will function 100% like stock.
Got it. and you said the VSS is bypassed right from the OK button. Can you explain how? i.e. holding it initiates the bypass? or is it multiple OK taps in a time period? or every time I press OK it kicks on the bypass?

Old 12-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
awesome!!!! i hope someone gets it and tests it out and gives us all positive feedback...i hate that ok screen and i hate having to pull over to do any mods on my navi screen....i also dont care for watching anything on the screen but i do hate not being able to adjust setting on the actual nav

thanks

Read post number 3, Kevin put this in my car. It works GREAT! I turn on my car, my ok button is automatically pressed. When I want to program nav, change titles of songs in my music box, change settings, whatever I want to do while moving, I just press the "enter" button for 2 seconds. I get a beep from my dash, the bypass is on. Everything from the little heads up display between the tach and the speedo still works..... MPG, average MPH all that. The nav just stops as if I am not moving. Once I get done programming, and turn off the bypass by holding down the "enter" button for 2 second, I get another beep from my dash, the nav jumps right to my current position, and everything returns to normal......

Old 12-19-2007, 02:55 PM
This is interesting... since it doesn't require a switch for VSS so you can just use the onboard "enter" button (I assume on the wheel, not the little round controller?)

And it makes me wonder what other data you can sniff out of the bus...

Old 12-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned
I never tried it with the steering wheel button, but I doubt it would work. We tapped it right in to the navigation button.

If I could find the wiring information for the steering wheel button, which I believe was on the service manual stuff, I could probably make it work, but, your hand will already be over at the navi unit to program it while moving so I don't think it would be beneficial.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
I never tried it with the steering wheel button, but I doubt it would work. We tapped it right in to the navigation button.

If I could find the wiring information for the steering wheel button, which I believe was on the service manual stuff, I could probably make it work, but, your hand will already be over at the navi unit to program it while moving so I don't think it would be beneficial.
Yeah... I guess you have a point, you have to reach over to select items and what not.

Personally I went "another route", which I won't discuss so that we don't cross any gray areas, but I can see how this would be beneficial to those that don't want to put an external switch in their cars and instead use what's already there.

Excellent job btw... now get Timmay to volunteer his car for the window/sunroof/etc mods and you'll be all set.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned
We've talked about installing more modules, but we havn't got a firm date set yet. He lives about an hour away, so its not super convenient.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatically process the Navi OK screen