Automatically process the Navi OK screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The circuit boards are now scheduled to be here Thursday.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can have a few put together and tested. Once I verify that the new boards work I'll let the intereted testers know the pricing/etc.

Thank you,

Old 01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
The circuit boards are now scheduled to be here Thursday.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can have a few put together and tested. Once I verify that the new boards work I'll let the intereted testers know the pricing/etc.

Thank you,
I'm in like Flint, regardless... send me a paypal request and I'll send the money over right now.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by viguera
I'm in like Flint, regardless... send me a paypal request and I'll send the money over right now.
Ditto, Let me know when you are ready.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I'd be very interested in this as well. Like some of the other posters, i'm a bit reticent to start pulling my car apart to install this as i have no aptitude for this kind of thing. So i'll ask, are there any shops that would install this in the DC Metro region? Also, if there are any forum members in the DC area that have done this and could help me implement this that'd be cool too.

Thanks guys

Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I know you have already pulled apart your dash, so maybe you can help out here in preparation for this test.

According to the service manual, the shift **** has to come out, then the cover with the shift boot comes out next. That exposes a couple of srews at the bottom of the panel with the clock which comes out next. Finally the 2 screws holding the nav panel are exposed which are then removed.

My question is are there any tricks or lessons learned while doing any of this because I sure would hate to break any plastic tabs on those panels. Even better would be some "how to" photos from the last time you pulled your dash apart!

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
I know you have already pulled apart your dash, so maybe you can help out here in preparation for this test.

According to the service manual, the shift **** has to come out, then the cover with the shift boot comes out next. That exposes a couple of srews at the bottom of the panel with the clock which comes out next. Finally the 2 screws holding the nav panel are exposed which are then removed.

My question is are there any tricks or lessons learned while doing any of this because I sure would hate to break any plastic tabs on those panels. Even better would be some "how to" photos from the last time you pulled your dash apart!

Thanks!
Well I've seen plenty of how-tos on how to do this, from people that have done things that unfortunately cannot be discussed here.

I would say start at the back, and work forward. So you always lift the back or the bottom FIRST, and when putting things back together you do it backwards... top or front first.

It's really hard to break anything when doing this, because you only have a couple of clips around the beginning when removing the shifter trim. After that, everything is held in by a couple of screws. 2 screws to the clock piece, 2 screws to the screen, etc.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terrycs

Thanks!
Put your shifter in N, then pull the **** and lift the shift trim out. I usually stick a small flat head in the upper right cornor just before it bends up and pop from there. It should pop the right side up enough to pull the trim out. Disconnect the 2 connectors and put it aside. Take the bottom 2 screws out and pull from the bottom to get the clock and radio button section out disconnect the 3 connectors). Then unscrew the screws for the Nav unit and pull it out as a whole (Nav unit and vents). The screen will not come out with that piece. Once it is out take a small phillips head screw driver and unscrew the 6 small screws and th white cover of the Nav board will come off.

Done

Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned
Getting the **** off and the trim piece around the **** are the only two place where we were hesitant for fear of breaking stuff. We got on here and found info on how to remove the shift **** - it is really easy if you know how. Then, we just pulled up on the center trim piece. It's kind of hard because there isn't a good way to grip it. After that, I believe it's all screws. When you get to that point if anything is providing resistance take a second and make sure you didn't miss any screws.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Getting the **** off and the trim piece around the **** are the only two place where we were hesitant for fear of breaking stuff. We got on here and found info on how to remove the shift **** - it is really easy if you know how. Then, we just pulled up on the center trim piece. It's kind of hard because there isn't a good way to grip it. After that, I believe it's all screws. When you get to that point if anything is providing resistance take a second and make sure you didn't miss any screws.
I've done this so much that I can tell you right now... best way to grip it, without even risking scratches with a screwdriver...

Put your finger in the rear portion of the boot and pull up. Works like a charm all the time.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
THAT'S what I wanted to know! Screwdrivers on the shifter trim make me nervous! I know there are 2 metal clips on the back of the shifter trim. The rest is cake.

I've done this so much that I can tell you right now... best way to grip it, without even risking scratches with a screwdriver...

Put your finger in the rear portion of the boot and pull up. Works like a charm all the time.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

Yeah, that is how we did it. We didn't even consider using tools to remove it!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:52 AM
heeyy! my biggest pet peeve with the car! pleeease sign me up!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned
I got the stuff in and was able to play around with the new board yesterday. Everything seems to be working great - I just need to set something up with Tim and verify that it works as expected.

After that I will contact the test people with more information.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
it is to mod

I would like to test one of your modules if you have enough prototypes.
I have considerable experience working with car electronics, and a keen
interest in this particular issue.

Thank-you
cj

We came to a "half" decision yesterday regarding the future of this module.

We are going to build a few prototypes just to verify that they work as well as our first module did. After the testing is done we will then make a decision as to how to proceed.

We will most likely be looking for 5 people who can perform the installation themselves (we don't like our test units to be professionally installed) in a timely manner. In exchange, we will offer the unit at a big discount. If you are interested and capable of testing the unit please add your name to the list:

We will contact people when we get closer to having the actual modules.

x.
x.
x.
x.auto pilot
x.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned
I've got an '08 lined up for a test installation tomorrow!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatically process the Navi OK screen