Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah that harness from GROM definitely won't fit but if you can jury rig the wiring then you'd be set. that might be more work than it's worth though....

and i should clarify, the above harness diagram is for an 08, non-nav, non-bose satellite radio harness at the back of the head unit, which is meant to fit up to the harness from GROM.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
just a few update pics that I sent in to Grom Audio. Grom has responded very quickly, however they suggested that my car should be very similar to the FX35 (09)...

Attached Thumbnails Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig-sdc10640.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
more.

Attached Thumbnails Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig-sdc10643.jpg   Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig-sdc10641.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
ah that stinks. i don't know how many variations of harnesses they have but obviously the one they sent you doesn't work. like i said before though, the only other thing i can think to try is to actually plug it in at the xm module in the trunk but you'll need a longer set of connector cables to get from the trunk to your center console for the USB and iPod.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
ah that stinks. i don't know how many variations of harnesses they have but obviously the one they sent you doesn't work. like i said before though, the only other thing i can think to try is to actually plug it in at the xm module in the trunk but you'll need a longer set of connector cables to get from the trunk to your center console for the USB and iPod.

oh, I think i've got a 25 ft USB cable around here somewhere... lol

I'll give that a shot. I thought I had a service manual downloaded, but I can't find it. Otherwise, I'd wire direct.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
boom! lol, sounds like you got the USB covered! let us know how it turns out!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Update:

I have no idea if I have the right cable or not... LOL.

Please see the following pics and tell me if I have the right connector!

If I disconnect the yellow highlighted connector, CD changer power is no longer operational. I do, however, still have XM sat radio on channel 1, which seems odd, unless it's coming from somewhere else.

Attached Thumbnails Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig-g35strunk_satharness1.jpg   Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig-g35strunk_1.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM
hmmm, i'm not familiar with your trunk (since i have the base model) but you may as well just unclip it and take a look at the connector to the right of the sub -shrugs-

ok so according to the shop manual that big black box next to your sub in the first pic is the xm tuner....so the harness should be around there....so yeah try that one and see what happens

***EDIT***

oops i lied, the shop manual shows the xm unit to the right of that box. that box is something else not listed....maybe its the reel for the middle seat belt....so now i see it looks like you have a harness hidden behind the foam padding on the wires in the first pic, it might be that one you need.

Last edited by RemmyZero; 07-14-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM
hmm. I'll go take a look.

(taking half day off work for this fun!) lol

I downloaded the manual as well. I actually don't see anywhere in the manual a location of the tuner! I'm beginning to think it's completely integrated into the radio... All I see is the antenna pathway.

edit: page av-330.

Satellite Radio Mode
•Satellite radio tuner is built into AV control unit.
•Audio signal (satellite radio) is received by satellite antenna, and it is input to AV control unit. Audio signal
(satellite radio) is output to BOSE amp. and it is output to BOSE amp. to each speaker for AV control unit.

so, guess I can put all the panels back into the trunk! lol

Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
what did alberto from Grom tell you?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 AM
well, so far he has only stated that they have not run into this issue before. My guess, they haven't run into anyone with every possible option( bose/music box/nav/backup cam, etc...)

I just sent him the info from the service manual. There is NO tuner in the trunk. Only the antenna amp on the left hand side. The only connector in the trunk is for the CD changer. It's a very similar connector as the one Grom provided, but not quite the same.

I have a feeling I cannot use the sat interface in my vehicle. However, I'm guessing that I could use the CD changer interface (i have never used it anyway).

*sigh* add to all this, I got a few small scratches on my dash above the ash tray... DOH!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:31 PM
that sucks but yeah i guess you'd have to do it through the CD changer interface, which is what i wanted to do with mine....but doesn't that interface on yours go to the DVD player for the nav? if so i don't think you can use it....

Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
that sucks but yeah i guess you'd have to do it through the CD changer interface, which is what i wanted to do with mine....but doesn't that interface on yours go to the DVD player for the nav? if so i don't think you can use it....
NAV doesn't use a DVD player, just the HD.

I can disconnect the CD changer and still use everything else. Oh well. For now, car is put back together... we shall see what Alberto says

/prays/

Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Alberto stated that an engineer (which I am ) will be taking a look at the info tomorrow. I'm sending him pictures of the CD changer connections tomorrow to see what they can do with it, as he requested.

I do like the fact that they're trying to do everything possible to make this work. Hope I can get something done.

On a side note, at least this got me to move my Nav bypass switch from the ashtray to the center console... been meaning to do that for 6 months haha!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yikes Dookie. Looks like it is turning out to be a headache. You dove off into the unknown. I could never find anyone with all the options on the G (Nav/XM/MB/etc.) who did an iPod/USB install.

Eager to continue reading about your progress. Thanks for your work on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig