Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
not that big of a headache. a few hours of my time, really. I'm pretty confident that everyone else with an 07/08 G35 sedan would be fine, as long as they don't have the integrated XM tuner.

I still recommend this product, based off of the companies helpfullness alone, for everyone else.

Sent them pics of the CD changer connector in the trunk. They're going to see what they can do with that.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dookie
not that big of a headache. a few hours of my time, really. I'm pretty confident that everyone else with an 07/08 G35 sedan would be fine, as long as they don't have the integrated XM tuner.

I still recommend this product, based off of the companies helpfullness alone, for everyone else.

Sent them pics of the CD changer connector in the trunk. They're going to see what they can do with that.
i second the motion. their support is fantastic and returning the unit was hassle free. i've already received my refund. they do have a great product. it's a shame that they cant make it more like the iSimple gateway or something.

i really do wish i could do the stock ipod integration but im betting it would be expensive. for some reason all my searches for information on the 08 models come up kinda dry.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
sucks its been such a hassle.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too bad this requires you to disconnect your XM tuner. Can the Pac audio solutions be used with the steering wheel controls? All their documentation says seek, and tune buttons to control the ipod. can someone confirm if the steering wheel can be used to control?

Last edited by celwin; 07-17-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 PM
well, I don't use my XM. However, this thread wasn't about Pac audio, and I have no information about PAC. I was trying to get info out about Grom Audio's USB interface.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 PM
just a quick update.

GromAudio will be getting back with me on tuesday once they figure out what the solution will be.

*fingers crossed*

Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Any update?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by celwin
Too bad this requires you to disconnect your XM tuner. Can the Pac audio solutions be used with the steering wheel controls? All their documentation says seek, and tune buttons to control the ipod. can someone confirm if the steering wheel can be used to control?
the pac does work with the steering wheel controls but it's not very intuitive. you have to press and hold the ^/ v buttons for like 3 full seconds before it switches tracks. annoying. i wonder if the OEM nissan setup is like this too.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:22 PM
yes. here's the update. unfortunately, for my specific car with my specific options, the grom audio box will not work. So they're sending me an RMA and the device goes back monday.

That said, I think for everyone else who doesn't have an integrated xm tuner, this box would be great.

Guess I'll keep looking for a solution. I really don't want to use an ipod...

Old 07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
yes. here's the update. unfortunately, for my specific car with my specific options, the grom audio box will not work. So they're sending me an RMA and the device goes back monday.

That said, I think for everyone else who doesn't have an integrated xm tuner, this box would be great.

Guess I'll keep looking for a solution. I really don't want to use an ipod...
just out of curiosity, is there any reason you're so resistant to using an ipod?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
just out of curiosity, is there any reason you're so resistant to using an ipod?
a few

1. I hate itunes and being tied to it.

2. I've used iphones and ipod touch. I really just don't like either one.

3. I have a two phones, both of which are excellent media players and have SD expansion cards for easy swapping

4. ALL my music is on USB media. Both a 128GB USB drive and a 320GB USB hard drive, which is quite convenient.

That said, the one thing I like about ipod/iphones is that there are soooo many accessories and a fairly easy to develop to API.

Maybe I should just use my kids' Ipod Touch (I re-acquired it after he proved that he couldn't use it without trying to find **** lol). I was going to sell it...

Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
a few

1. I hate itunes and being tied to it.

2. I've used iphones and ipod touch. I really just don't like either one.

3. I have a two phones, both of which are excellent media players and have SD expansion cards for easy swapping

4. ALL my music is on USB media. Both a 128GB USB drive and a 320GB USB hard drive, which is quite convenient.

That said, the one thing I like about ipod/iphones is that there are soooo many accessories and a fairly easy to develop to API.

Maybe I should just use my kids' Ipod Touch (I re-acquired it after he proved that he couldn't use it without trying to find **** lol). I was going to sell it...

wellllll.....if you don't like ipod touches you can use a regular ipod and NOT have to use itunes you know? there is a program called flula (IIRC) or you can enable the mass storage and just use winamp to drag and drop files (winamp also can access the ipod without itunes) so maybe that will change your mind.

also, the PAC adapter has a 3.5mm adapter for phones or you could get a parrot bluetooth module and stream your music over BT....

i do agree that USB is great (obviously since i tried using a GROM box also) but the iPod is not as difficult as you think. you can buy a 300GB ipod on ebay for cheap and then just treat it like a USB hard drive by using the above methods i mentioned. it might be up your alley....

Old 07-27-2010, 12:40 PM
well, I may have to look into that... of course, then I have to deal with ANOTHER piece of hardware that I have to charge, etc... But, maybe it's not that bad.

What options do I have? PAC? what else?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
well, I may have to look into that... of course, then I have to deal with ANOTHER piece of hardware that I have to charge, etc... But, maybe it's not that bad.

What options do I have? PAC? what else?
yeah im not trying to be an apple fanboy or anything but you do have other options as opposed to itunes and the standard way of loading an ipod.

theres PAC, USA spec and OEM integration. OEM may be very easy for you given you have a navi package, you may have the required harnesses already. USA spec is supposed to be great. i have the PAC but i swear there is something perpetually wrong with it but everyone else seems to love it. i am certain it attenuates the ipod volume and often causes my xm radio not to display the song titles correctly (normal xm info, not ipod info). but since you don't use xm it might not matter. you can also buy the pac and install a bluetooth module (i think) to stream bluetooth music from your phone. they have a BT module i'm just not sure if it's compatible with the PAC units for our cars.

the pac and USA spec also have 3.5mm connectors for using a headphone out from a cell phone. ive gotta wonder if they developed USB connectors also....

Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Hmmm, USA spec stated that my car had no compatible products. Pretty much the same for the PAC. PAC also stated that I had to use the sat radio tuner, which we discovered, we can't. *SIGH* Thanks nissan/infiniti!!!

Most state that the 07 with factory nav is not supported. Do you have nav?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig