Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
hey Skiper, i actually haven't tried anything else due to time, money and i mainly listen to my xm radio now.

if i really want i can play music through my carputer, plus my parrot bluetooth system has a USB port on it (although the info doesn't display on the radio just on the parrot display, which is small).

Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you use your parrot bluetooth for hands free or for playback as well? GROM have Bluetooth that I am also thinking to try - wanna listen to the internet radio.
So many options out here... Will think for a couple of days and probably upgrade to USB.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
i use the parrot for both. while my phone is paired to it i will use the parrot controls (play/pause, fast fwd, rewind) to play mp3s off my phone. it also has a USB and iPod connector on it. arguably the parrot has better sound quality than the stock radio, this is mainly because the parrot system has it's own amplifier built in.

i can't give up my XM radio, i love it way too much!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey remmy, this might be something you can answer....

I noticed that GROM is now supporting CD Changer emulation. Since the changer is in the trunk, I'm betting that I can wire up the GROM unit to the CD changer connector via the GROM NIS harness and have success.

GROM stated that they do not support direct connection to the changer, but from the looks of things, I think the wiring is basically the same. (comparing the G's CD charger wires and the Grom harness).

The connectors are different, but I can wire up an adapter pretty easily. Just wondering if you (or anyone else) had any thoughts on this. GROM didn't seem interested in sending me the pinout for their NIS cable, but I can figure it out by comparing it with the connector for the non-G35S model head units. There are basically two wires in the G35S's CD harness that would get tied to ground.

Trying to debate on buying it again.... the bluetooth streaming options are highly desired

Old 08-26-2014, 05:59 PM
so not to revive a really old thread, but....

After farting around with other solutions, I decided to check back in with Grom. Grom stated that they DO in fact support CD Changer emulation. This time they were kind enough to provide a wire diagram of their NIS02 harness, including the signal breakouts. After comparing those with both the CDC and the SATNAV connections (from the non-Nav) model), I believe that the Grom unit should work.

According to Grom, I will have to flash the unit to control the CDC, since the default is to use the Sat interface. No big deal there.

I will mock up a wiring harness once I receive the unit and then see what happens.

The following users liked this post:
NATH_19 (08-27-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 PM
yahtzee!

I was finally able to get the Grom Audio adpater to work in my 2007 G35S Sedan with Bose + Navi! I was able to play an mp3 on a usb drive as well as play music via bluetooth. My testing with this has been limited, so I'm not sure if everything is working 100% yet, but hey... I'll take it!

After I'm done re-wiring everything properly and testing all the features, I'll start a more detailed new thread.

Briefly though, the steps are as follows to use Grom with CD Changer control in a 2007 G35S w/ Navi:
1. Get any Grom unit with the NIS02 cable
2. Disconnect CD Changer in trunk (At the CD Changer)
3. Build own wiring harness going from CD Changer connector to NIS02 Grom connector (They are different pin outs)
4. Flash Grom unit with gromusb2_nissan_cdc firmware instead of stock sat firmware (easy)
5. turn off car/grom, then back on.
6. switch to CD changer source. boom! got audio.
7. install android app on phone
8. pair via bluetooth
9. play music!
10. Check steering wheel controls. YAY!

So far, the only thing I'm disappointed in is the fact that the CD changer control doesn't put the track name/artist on the screen, either in USB or Bluetooth mode. That's a bit disappointing.

edit:
Also, it does appear that if you connect your phone to the Grom for audio, you will disconnect from the car's BT connection.
updated: in your phone, you can simply disable the "phone" connection in the GROM pairing setting in the bt menu. boom. phone goes to car, audio goes to grom.

Last edited by dookie; 08-27-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:36 PM
bumping this because I forgot to upload a wiring diagram.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by dookie

bumping this because I forgot to upload a wiring diagram.
Twice?

Old 08-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Twice?
I updated the first post with it

Old 08-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by dookie
I updated the first post with it
Ahh, OK, I didn't go back (the full 6 years).

Old 01-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let the dead (thread) arise and walk among the living once more...

Total noob here, just brought my 07 G35x home last night. Read the whole thread, and I know there was a lot of "no ipod," but I really want to connect my iPhone 6. I have the Bose/nav/XM, and I don't use the XM or the CD changer (though I'd like to retain the option for XM). I love the idea of BT streaming music, as that's what I had with my old Pioneer deck and it was great.

So is this THE method? Make my own harness?

TIA

Ray