Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I just bought a 2007 G35S w/ nav. I have the RCA ports, but I want to have control through HU. You are saying I have zero options and I have to use the RCA's?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by soltis007
So I just bought a 2007 G35S w/ nav. I have the RCA ports, but I want to have control through HU. You are saying I have zero options and I have to use the RCA's?
As far as I know, there is nothing else that we can do. Most, if not all, of the available options use the XM interface which is integrated into the HU. Grom said they will continue to look into using the CD changer interface, but I don't expect anything very soon.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM
That was going to be my next question was throwing out the CD changer port. I could care less about having a CD changer when compared to my ipod.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dookie
a few

1. I hate itunes and being tied to it.

2. I've used iphones and ipod touch. I really just don't like either one.

3. I have a two phones, both of which are excellent media players and have SD expansion cards for easy swapping

4. ALL my music is on USB media. Both a 128GB USB drive and a 320GB USB hard drive, which is quite convenient.

That said, the one thing I like about ipod/iphones is that there are soooo many accessories and a fairly easy to develop to API.

Maybe I should just use my kids' Ipod Touch (I re-acquired it after he proved that he couldn't use it without trying to find **** lol). I was going to sell it...
I have an ipod classic that I use in integration but don't like using the itunes either + also have a ton of music stored on my Blackberry microSD. I also like using BB to stream music wirelessly through the BB Bluetooth adapter and it sounds great. The BT adapter is pretty tiny and is powered by miniUSB and has an 3.5-to-y-audio cable split which plugs into the console audio jack; everything fits and is hidden out of sight in the armrest console.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:46 PM
How do you know if the XM tuner is integrated into the radio/head unit?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by javisaman
How do you know if the XM tuner is integrated into the radio/head unit?
hey man, if you have factory nav it's integrated, otherwise it's not.

the GROM audio is such a great product but i just couldn't give up my XM. the DICE adapter should be available soon. i'll update my ipod thread with the info they sent me.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 PM
So is it the consensus that the Grom is the best way to get your ipod to play through the factory headunit?

I have a 2007 g35x with premium package no nav and am interested in this. What i was wondering is how fast and intuitive the interface is when your using it. I have had a few in the past (one from pionoeer another from kenwood) which would work but were amazingly slow making it better off just controlling through the ipod and using aux.

Does anyone know where i could find videos of this product in use? I have searched on youtube but have not been able to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:52 PM
well to be honest i think the USAspec unit is good and the newer iSimple/PAC audio gateways are probably better than the one i had purchased last year. as i mentioned earlier i could use the Grom because i was unwilling to ditch my xm. dice is developing a unit for our cars (which hopefully will come soon) but i have no real info on it.

the Grom is nice because it also gives you the option for using a flash drive as a music bank.

as for videos you can probably find something if you google it but i don't remember seeing one.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:26 PM
G35 Sedan RWD
Just wondering where would this unit be placed? Wire from HU all the way to inside of armrest?

I am not getting it.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:29 PM
G35 Sedan RWD
Also I can give up XM radio (as I am not currently subscribed) to use this product, but will I lose XM traffic as well?

Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
G35 Sedan RWD
Wait...I have 07 G35 w/Navi, so XM tuner is integrated into HU...that means I am out of luck?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
hey scorpkev, basically it's yes to all 3 questions. you can wire it from the HU to the armrest, yes i think it's safe to say you'd lose the nav traffic, and yes since you have nav i believe your XM is integrated into the headunit. to check just look in the trunk right underneath the parcel shelf, if you see a silver box there with a harness in it that's the XM tuner, otherwise its in your headunit. sorry dude. also try DICE, since they are supposed to be making a new iPod adapter, and also since you have nav can't you add the ipod connector cable from the factory??

Old 03-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Do we have to take apart the center console and take out the head unit in order to install this?

Anyone can do a DIY with pics on the installation? Or maybe scan the installation manual?
I want to get this but I don't know how to install this thing.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:31 PM
nissin - yes, the head unit needs to be removed but that only takes about 5-10 minutes to pull out. there is a DIY in the DIY section on removing the LCD, and ill try to find a picture of the plug you have to remove.

here you go:

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...d-removal.html

there are two screws at the bottom of the head unit to remove it then it will just slide forward basically. hopefully this will start you off.

Bob

Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
GROM USB iPod adapter for Infiniti Nissan

RemmyZero, did you have a chance to try any of the other USB integrations besides GROM?
I just bought their GROM iPod adapter for Nissan, but now I am thinking about upgrading it to USB unit. I like the USB idea better as I am thinking to give up my iPod to my son.
They also have the CD changer emulation now :
http://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapt...2-nis_cdc.html
Not sure if it works with Infiniti, need to ask.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Grom Audio USB/IPOD integration Guinea Pig