Installed Garmin Carputer and Touch Screen Overlay in Non-Nav Model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AJinNJ
Hi ... need help in putting all of these together in my car... can you help?

-AJ
I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to posting. So busy!

I'd be happy to help though. Do you have any specific questions?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carputer in my '08 G35xS

Originally Posted by mikaly
I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to posting. So busy!

I'd be happy to help though. Do you have any specific questions?
wanted to ask "RemmyZero" since he is in NY and i am in NJ...

but from start to finish, i have NOT DONE anything like this in any car before in my life and plus the thought of taking the Dash apart just doesnt sound right...

Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AJinNJ
wanted to ask "RemmyZero" since he is in NY and i am in NJ...

but from start to finish, i have NOT DONE anything like this in any car before in my life and plus the thought of taking the Dash apart just doesnt sound right...
Hmm.. (with no disrespect intended!) this might not be the best DIY for you, especially if you need someone else to do most of the work because it'll take several hours. It is quite a project and I spread it out over a few days!

Not only do you have to take your center console area, monitor, and AC controls out, but you also have to route a thick gauge power cable from the battery, through the firewall, and to your trunk. You have to remove the lining in your trunk, and you have to route cables back to the center console for video and communications (e.g. USB). Also, removing your rear seats (if you have a sedan) is particularly helpful when routing the wires to make it a clean install. Knowing how to crimp and solder were also invaluable to reduce or increase wire length as necessary.

Either way, good luck! It was definitely a fun project, and it's nice to have a full-blown computer in the dash.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
mikaly - i'll respectfully say this might actually be a great first project (if you have some help) since it encompasses so many things that you would need to learn to do other mods or upgrades later.

it really just depends on how complicated you want it to be in the end.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I just finished reading your thread Remmy, I am have been toying with the idea of building a replacement head unit controller, but I think an halfway solution for right now maybe taking your touch screen overlay idea and hard moding my Android phone through the aux and connecting the touchscreen overlay. I am thinking about using an IR overlay though as I do have the GPS unit in my G35S. I will have to talk to my Infiniti reps and see if there is a way to splice directly into the head unit to connect the video from my phone into the display. I am really happy I ran across your thread I have not used my aux connection before and the news that the climate control will show up on the display still is great news. I know I will have to prototype a dockign station for my phone what will have a usb hub built in to split the usb video out and a connection to a daughter board for input of the touch screen overlay and some other evil daughter board for other things. My real concern will be looking into porting audio from my android phone into the stock stereo so I can stream music. I figure I am paying around 100 bucks a month for my cell phone might as well make it useful while I am driving.

But again thanks for all the info.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
ctmoto - check out this thread here if you haven't already:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...redible-5.html

and keep in mind that the tv out over USB only works on the HTC incredible right now. it's very easy to hook up video directly to the nav LCD though, there are two ways really. you can buy a pre-made box like mine (i.e. - the PAC-VCI, nav-to-tv, etc).

here's the link to splicing in direct video:

http://myg37.com/forums/audio-video-...peed-temp.html

this guy did a nice job. ive been thinking about modding my system to do this also.

cheers!

Bob

Old 12-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Just an update for anyone who followed this originally. I'm still using this PC as my Nav system. I mounted it underneath the glove box, as this seemed the most logical location. I also upgraded it to Windows 7 but had some issues with my Pro key so I downgraded and did the following:

* installed Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 for driver support/performance
* downgraded from 1Gb to 512Mb of RAM (I needed it for my laptop, ha ha, but 512 seems to be usable)
* installed a 3M capacitive touchscreen overlay, removing the resistive one (this was mainly for better touch response and the fact that the resistive overlays are slightly opaque, which annoyed me)
* added the Windows Vista Text to Speech "Anna" voice, which is superior to the Windows XP "Mary" voice
* updated to the 2013 Garmin maps
* updated my Parrot Bluetooth system for better connectivity for GMPC announcing directions through the stock stereo

To come:
* install an HDMI to RCA converter (currently using a DVI to RCA) in hopes of slightly better picture quality.
* buy 1Gb of RAM to reinstall
* potential Windows 8 set up since it's touch conducive

I've abandoned the idea of using it as a media center only because I haven't had time to sit and do the coding and what not but I may pursue this over the winter while i'm bored. I would definitely need an OS and RAM upgrade (IMO) so we shall see.

Overall i'm happy with the setup still and will use it until I trade in the car or sell it (hopefully next fall). I may toy with other map programs but for now I can't complain. The PAC VCI interface is awesome though, can't live without my backup camera!

Cheers!

Bob

Old 01-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is amazing. But wayyyy out of my league, haha. I'd need an insanely detailed write up. Fail.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:32 AM
ok ive been looking to do this forever, but i have a few questions, how much did this cost and if its not too rediculous then what parts do i need and for us non-tech people, could you post a detailed step by step DIY because i went to my local infiniti dealership and they told me it would cost upwards of 2 grand to do it because they had to change the wiring of everthing.. thank you very much and i hope you reply

Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Corbin Gandolfo
ok ive been looking to do this forever, but i have a few questions, how much did this cost and if its not too rediculous then what parts do i need and for us non-tech people, could you post a detailed step by step DIY because i went to my local infiniti dealership and they told me it would cost upwards of 2 grand to do it because they had to change the wiring of everthing.. thank you very much and i hope you reply
There are one or two members on here or myG37 that installed the stock navi system, which yes they'll charge you an arm and a leg because of the labor and the parts are a little pricey unless you find them on ebay. I think it's worth the effort but I personally don't have the time or a garage to work in so I haven't tackled it myself, plus i'll likely be getting a new car this fall anyway and i'll make sure it's fully loaded ha ha.

Basically this is a very easy alternative to the stock system but you'll need to have basic knowledge for setting up Windows on a new computer, which I felt was the longest part of putting it all together. The other issue is that Garmin Mobile PC is no longer sold by Garmin so you'd either have to buy a used copy with the GPS receiver or find an alternative program and buy a generic GPS receiver (this is a viable option as there are plenty of other PC navigation programs out there).

There's really no write up necessary other than installing the PAC VCI-NIS2 module for the backup camera and computer display. I have that in one of my other threads for my backup camera. The only difficult part there is disassembling the center console, which is actually really easy and there are a lot of pictorial write-ups out there. I just hid wires behind carpets and trim, which is really up to you how you do it. As far as mounting the computer I physically removed the plastic cover underneath the glove box and screwed the mounting bracket for the PC into it (i'll take a photo of that later because i'm not sure how else to describe it).

It looks hard but I swear it's way easier than you'd think. The prices have all changed i'm sure (remember I started this 3 years ago almost) so i'd encourage you to look at the latest prices off newegg.com or amazon or ebay. Here's the parts list:
* Nano PC/Netbook
* Solidstate Hard drive
* Laptop Memory
* Windows XP or 7 or 8
* PC Power supply with cigarette lighter adapter
* VGA to Composite video converter
* Capacitive or Resistive Touchscreen
* GPS receiver w/software
* PAC VCI-NIS2 module
* Parrot mki9100 bluetooth system
* USB Bluetooth dongle for the PC

Here's the deal though, I already had the PAC-VCI module for my backup camera so I don't consider that part of the cost really, and the parrot bluetooth system was something I wanted anyway for handsfree calling so I don't consider that part of the total cost either but to do the complete setup like mine that's what you'll need. I also already had a copy of windows hanging around so all that reduced the cost significantly for me.

Hopefully this clears things up a little.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Remmy-- I'm new to this forum. I just bought a inifiniti g35s sedan 2008. Now I love it. One of my first cars I've had that I've loved. Now I do regret not having the navigation and thebackup camera option. I am a very hands on peperson with cars like installing sound systems and so on. Anyways to the point. I have a Garmin portable gps and I just thought it was a waste to have that power cord and the extra screen there so I looked into the Garmin blackbox but I just feel their a little pricy just for what they are so I'm deciding to build myself a computer and I happen to stumble on yours witch btw I absolutely love and I congradulate you for an excellent job. Now I'm kind of in a budget I guess I just want u to tell me if I'm going through the right path on doing this or any advice on the process.. Parts I'm planning on getting:
-Intel nuc i3 processor with hdmi output
-4 gb of ram
-250gb ssd
-windows 7
(last 3 have laying around)
-150 watt power inverter
-the touch screen Isaw someone had posted the link of
-hdmi to composite adapter
-gps receiver /still don't know what software though

Those are the things I'm planning on starting out my build with... Any advice?? Please help before I beginto order parts.. Thank you so much.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 AM
I think you've got the right start there. Unfortunately Garmin Mobile PC isn't available any more although you may be able to buy a copy from someone. The issue there is that sometimes the software is linked to the GPS receiver (like mine) and sometimes the software is linked to the computer. So if you find a copy linked to the receiver and you buy them from someone then you can use it on any computer you like. There are a lot of GPS receivers out there and several different pieces of software to use. I'd recommend starting here:

http://www.mp3car.com/gps/

Also, I just got my HDMI to composite adapter and the quality is really good. This is the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Composite-Converter-Blue-ray-White/dp/B009CL8NH0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399213271&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+to+rca+converter http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Composite-Converter-Blue-ray-White/dp/B009CL8NH0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399213271&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+to+rca+converter

I think you're on the right track though, you've got the parts there. I'd just buy a small wireless keyboard if I were you. One like this maybe:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-fav...-laser-pointer

Trust me it's come in handy ha ha!