KP Technologies Mirror Tilt Module Install in 08 G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
KP Technologies Mirror Tilt Module Install in 08 G35x

hey guys, so since i bought my G i've been trying to install all the amenities i had in my 2002 Acura TL that my G doesn't have (self dimming mirror, tilting side view mirror, memory seats). when i bought the car i put in the self-dimming mirror from ebay, obviously the memory seats are too big a deal to put in though. i had purchased the KP Tech mirror tilt module last year but just never got around to putting it in so i finally got off my duff and did it.

to me, this and the backup camera i put in recently are two of the best convenience/safety features you could have (IMHO). now that i've got my touchscreen garmin carputer and all these other things done ill start saving up for engine mods

if you want to see my other threads you can check them out here:

Installed Garmin Carputer with Touch Screen Overlay in Non-Nav Model

Installed E Coastal Tech Backup Cam with PAC VCI-NIS2

ok so now for the writeup and pics. as an editorial note, i love the tilt module, its so convenient. i probably should have purchased the deluxe module to make the drivers and passenger mirror tilt. oh well. i did find that the installation was straightforward, however, maybe i read the instructions wrong (totally possible) but it took me alot longer than it should have to get the timing right for the raise and lower functions. it seems that against the instructions the "tweak" **** on the unit was controlling the upwards time of the mirror. to me there should be one **** and the lower time should be the same as the raise but obviously i'm not Kevin Pierson and he knows what he's doing so i'll shut up.

PICS!

first off, just use the standard DIY to remove the inner door panel. once this is done it's very easy to run the wiring. i chose not to run it through the rubber wire chase that goes from the body to the door.

with the panel removed, down by the hinge, i chose to use the hole with the black o-sticker around it. i ran the constant power and reverse power wires through here.

i pried the rubber boot open for the wire chase and stuck my finger in the door to feel for the wires i put through the hole in the door then pulled it out (the green is my reverse power wire).

on the body of the car, near the hinge and just below where the wire chase goes into the body, there is a grommet in the body. i removed it and put a hole in it to run the wire through. at least this way i know the installation won't let water into the body when it rains. this pic just shows the grommet you're looking for (after i removed it that is)

this pic just shows it with the wire put in...nothing special...

inside the car, down by the fuse panel area, i found another hole to pull the wire through. this proved very easy and convenient...sorry the pic kinda stinks...

i used these things called "tap its" or something like that to tap the power and ground at the window switch. i already had a fuse tap in the fuse box for power to my dimming rear-view mirror so i used that for my constant power (actually i think its switched but the module doesn't seem to care)

the tap-its are so great. i like the much better than the 3M circuit taps. these are removable and you can add like 5 wires onto it. they don't cause much damage to the wire either when you remove them.

now at the switch you have to cut the green and orange wires. once you have the ends the green and orange from the KP module connect to the green and orange ends closest to the switch, then the brown and blue wires connect to the ends that go back into the body

as for the reverse wire i don't have a picture of this because i had already installed the PAC VCI-NIS unit for my reverse camera, i used the tap i already had on here for the 12V reverse power to the KP module(which was the green wire i ran in the first few pics). it's tapped in the back of the stereo on the harness that actually goes into the radio.

afterwards i just ziptied the wires and shoved it inside the handle of the door. there is plenty of room in there....it does make a semi-annoying click when it engages to lower the mirror but i really shouldn't complain. you could probably wrap it with something to deaden the noise...

works like a charm!! enjoy!!

on a side note, i did scratch the bezel around the window switches when i did this (not that it wasn't already scratched). but my next project is to coat it with plast-dip or some durable matte black paint, which shouldn't be a big deal. if i find something that looks good i'll let you know.

Cheers.

Bob

Old 08-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
youtube video of it in work!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 AM
i've actually never attempted a youtube video. i could try though.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
let us know

Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice! thanks! I've been looking to do this mod too. A youtube video would be great.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:29 PM
hey guys, sorry for the delay. i took the vid just been too lazy to upload it.

a word of advice to anyone doing this though...when you run the wires out of the door if you go through the stock boot seal like i did you need to wrap your wires in something durable since they will be pinned against a metal edge (reference the second pic but ill take a better pic tomorrow).

i should have thought of this but didn't so the other day i was blowing the fuses whenever i put the car in reverse but i realized right away what it was so i took some scissors and made a slit in the boot to slide the wires into and i wrapped them in electrical tape. sure enough i saw a little cut in the jacket that allowed the 12V reverse signal to ground to the car body.

hindsight being 20/20 i should have found another grommet in the door itself and poked a hole to run the wires through but that will have to wait for another day!

cheers!
Bob

Old 09-12-2010, 06:10 PM
show us of it in work!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
nice work and subscribed

Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why one has to go into the driver's door to get tap into the mirror up/down. Those signals are going to the right side mirror anyway. So all the wires and module can stay on the inside.
Now the question is: where to tap into those 2, the power, the ground and the reverse.
Adil

Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 AM
hey Adil, i went in the door because in reality the mirror control switch is the easiest place to access the wires. there is plenty of room to work (sitting comfortable in the driver's seat and not on my back or side) and room to store the module in the door handle when you're done, plus if you ever want to adjust the timing it's easy to access, even if you're in a parking lot somewhere.

you're right that you could certainly get the wires elsewhere but there is very little room to cut wires at the BCM and i for one am not interested in cutting open the wire bundles running under the dash to find the wires i'm looking for. i originally was going to splice in at the BCM but when i got down there and identified the mirror wires i saw that i only had a few centimeters of wire visible to cut and splice the KP unit into, not ideal for me since eventually i'll remove everything and trade the car in.

power and ground you can get from nearly anywhere in the car (if you decide to splice at the BCM you can get it there easily). the reverse signal is easiest to get from behind the head unit IMO or at the shifter i would suppose.

one thing i will make a note of though is that there are two power wires on the KP unit, a constant power and a switched power. i routed *both* my power connections to a switched power source just out of convenience, but fyi if you back into a space and turn the car off immediately the mirror will remain down until you manually adjust it or until you put the car in reverse again and back into any other gear. using a legit constant power will ensure your mirror always returns to it's original state.

cheers.

Bob

Old 09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
^ any videos?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by djfarhan
^ any videos?
tonight i swear! ha ha!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 PM
^ u the man!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 AM
ok so i forgot last night but here is the video. i uploaded it to photobucket so if it doesn't work i'll try something else...

the mirror goes down right away in reverse and then it takes about 10 seconds after you come out of gear to go back up. kind of a crappy cellphone video but you get the idea.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
^ thanks a lot man! can u change how much u want to tilt the mirror?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KP Technologies Mirror Tilt Module Install in 08 G35x