gps idea for non-nav sedans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Unbelievable. It didn't work. All I got was a blank screen. I even tried the alpine rgb converter one more time. Same thing. I triple checked every connection. Red, blue, green, rgb sync, rgb ground, 5v power supply, general vehicle ground. I think I got close, but I'm just going to have to mount the alpine screen over the ash tray.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
ok now im really surprised....maybe we can walk through it....

how are you tapping into the stock RGB signal? are you using wire taps? stripped wires? etc...

when you stripped the wires in the alpine harness are you sure you properly identified which wire is which?

this really SHOULD work....let's start with this....the converter takes the 4 wire RGBs and converts it to composite right? did you check the composite signal on a regular tv to see if it is outputting anything? a dirty way of doing it might be to tap the signal and run the composite into your aux input in the armrest. it's a roundabout way but you won't have to drag a tv out to check it.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 PM
ok a couple additions....sounds dumb but this should work so let's retrace your steps....first thing first you need to make sure that the new converter actually works...secondly, im assuming you're taking that RGB and converting it to composite and you should be able to plug that composite right into the brain on the TME-S370....but you're saying you tried that and it doesn't work?

when you pulled out the KCE-900e converter you just spliced the RGBs into the alpine plug? and did you supply a voltage to the alpine converter? it definitely needs a voltage input to work. i don't know what level but probably 12V. that voltage input should be in that harness also and should come from the navigation brain in a normal situation. i think it needs a remote signal too....let's keep digging....

also, now that i think of it, you said the KCE worked the first time but that the picture flashed occasionally. did you disconnect the stock screen to see if that stopped the flashing?

if you don't already have it here is the pinout for your alpine cable:
http://www.mp3car.com/lcd-display/11...rgb-input.html

Last edited by RemmyZero; 09-16-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ok, I finally finished up installing the screen over the ash tray. Fortunately, the center console seperated without the need of cutting. This created more room for the screen. The GPS brain and multiple connections fit above the passenger kick panel. It was tight, but it all fits. I'll need to clean up the trim somehow around the screen later. One day I may try to replace the factory screen with the alpine. There is yet another RGB converter on ebay that may work. For now, though, I need to move on to other projects.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:54 AM
well im still baffled that the stock image won't display but i like where you placed the screen. you may be able to do some fiberglass work to make a custom mount or something....

when i have some time and money i'm thinking about getting back on my carputer project and getting all my software working so i can ditch the stock screen altogether and use a nice aftermarket touchscreen also. we'll see....