gps idea for non-nav sedans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
gps idea for non-nav sedans

Has anyone considered replacing the screen in the g35 with an Alpine TME-S370 touchscreen?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/tme-s370

Looks like the normal dispay info for radio, temperature, and maintenance could be routed through aux input. Nav and backup camera data could then be routed directly to the Alpine screen.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
John, i got your PM and here are my thoughts on this idea....

- great idea, i would love to do this with a nice lilliput touchscreen as well but i simply haven't had time/money at my disposal over the past 6 months. if you look at the shop diagram it shows that the video goes in via a normal RGB input to the screen (unless you're using the armrest input) so in theory what you should be able to do is a little "cut and paste" and convert the 3-wire connection to S-video signal for the alpine to use. this can be done via a VGA to S-video converter or a ScanDo or something similar. not impossible and not terribly tough to set up. you'll lose some quality going to S-video but since it's the stock screen that might not be so bad.

the nav connector is proprietary though, and so is the brain, so unless you plan on forking over the money for the alpine nav unit then this won't be useful to you.

now....consider this....use a 7" touchscreen (e.g. - lilliput) with two VGA inputs (or 1VGA and 1HDMI, whatever) and an RCA input for the backup cam. the RGB signal from the stock headunit can be converted to VGA for the input, the carputer can be another VGA (my carputer has an HDMI output also) and the backup cam simply goes in the RCA input. this would be easier and *maybe* cheaper depending on how much the Alpine Nav unit is (which i didn't look into).

overall a great idea if you're gonna stick to the alpine equipment though. i am a big fan of alpine stuff.

here is a thread from myG37.com about one guy who added/converter a RGB input for the headunit, this should give you an idea on the ScanDo converter....there are more details on page 6....the difference being you would feed the stock headunit image into the scando and make a VGA out signal from it.

http://myg37.com/forums/audio-video-...peed-temp.html

Last edited by RemmyZero; 06-13-2011 at 11:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (07-06-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the link. That write up says that the stock screen uses RGB input. So, I'd have to modify the stock connector to an s-video (just like you said).
To make this work, I'll need:
oem molex connector (I don't want to cut the stock wiring)
a wiring diagram for the screen input (which wire does what)
an s-video wire
a video trigger for the alpine unit

Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM
well to go from RGB to S-video you'll need a converter. you can get a cheap one for a computer and use that for an S-video out (sewell and aitech make them for cheap).

if you want to tap into stock wires without damaging them i *highly* recommend using the following product:

http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

i use these exclusively for all my wiring needs.

GXXXV X (07-06-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 PM
ok - I have determined that the connection to the stock screen is a 24 pin molex. No one seems to sell this connector except navvideo and PAC. Those seem to be expensive. How much was your PAC VCI-NIS2?
I also found that I need to tap into the R, G, B, and sync wires. I wonder what all the other wires to the stock display are for. Power, Ground, RGB, bright/dim, memory, and xxx?
I may see if FRY electronics sells a compatable 24 pin molex.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 PM
have you downloaded the shop manual? all the connections are detailed in there.

um, as for the VCI, i can't remember what i paid but it should be in line with whatever the latest price is here:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1387

Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 PM
ok - I've ordered a G35 shop manual, Alpine TME-S370, Alpine NVE-M300, and a video trigger. I am still reviewing the back-up camera option. I won't have this installed until the end of July, though. Busy summer. I'll update this thread with my progress.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
nice! let us know if you need help and how it goes!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 PM
This thread encourages me:
http://www.infinitifx.org/viewtopic....281507#p281507

The problem is that the alpine only has one rgb input. I am using that for the navigation. Converting the car's rgbs signal is proving to be rediculously complicated. I have the equipment now, but I'm still researching the stock video signal.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by johnw999
This thread encourages me:
http://www.infinitifx.org/viewtopic....281507#p281507

The problem is that the alpine only has one rgb input. I am using that for the navigation. Converting the car's rgbs signal is proving to be rediculously complicated. I have the equipment now, but I'm still researching the stock video signal.
i think you're over-estimating the complications of converting the signal. you can tap the wires and install your own VGA connector or RCA connectors and i'm not sure which pin is the synch pin on the alpine unit but you may be able to plug directly into it or use a VGA switcher from a computer store to swap between video inputs. if you need to convert the stock signal just pick up a scando unit on ebay or craigslist. it's been done before so i wouldn't worry too much.

also, if you head over to mp3car.com there are many threads with similar goals and im sure you can ask questions on there. look for a guy named RipplingHurst. he has added screens to his infinitis and also on here there is a member named aToxic who has added screens. he may be able to help you.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-carputer.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-aud...-pc-works.html

obviously i've never added a screen but i really don't believe capturing the stock signal will be any more difficult than what i said above. you're only issue is that you only have one RGB input so you'll need a switcher to go between the two.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM
ok - I'm about ready to begin. Time is limited, so I can only install one component at a time. A replacement chrome trunk lid is on the way. When it arrives, I'll install the camera first. Then I'll need to install the gps brain. It has to be mounted on a flat surface. Any ideas where I could mount it?

GXXXV X (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM
I bought the chrome trunk trim with camera hole from 180customs for $50. I also bought the elusive wire harness for the stock screen from tvandnav2go for $40. Both good deals. Infiniti doesn't sell the wire harness, and they charge way too much for the chrome trim.
I've just about got the alpine camera installed in the trim. It fits nice, but I'll have to use glue to make sure that the camera is secure. I'll check the video feed first before glue.

GXXXV X (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Wow this is definitely useful and specific info, please keep us updated!
Forgive my lazy searching skills, but how much did all the stuff in the pic in your last post run you and where you got it if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by GXXXV X; 07-25-2011 at 04:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: gps idea for non-nav sedans