Adding a Subwoofer in Box to 2007 G35 Journey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Adding a Subwoofer in Box to 2007 G35 Journey

Hey All.

I searched the forums to find an install for a 2007 G35 Journey but was unable to do so, only found installs on the previous body style (if anyone can point one out, please do).

I want to install an aftermarket subwoofer. I have the custom box, sub, amp, wiring kit, and relay kit.

What I am wondering is, what complications am I going to experience as far as the Bose system goes?

I have installed a dozen stereos before, but never on a car like this. I have the Bose system with the decklid subwoofer and I am wondering what I am in for.

The previous setup I had in my Honda was simple. Splice kit tapped into back speaker wire, RCA's ran from splice kit into the AMP, ground cable, power cable, and the amp's remote on run to the stereo fuse, AMP wires to sub, etc... It worked fine.

Will this be the exact same setup in the Journey?

I do not even care if I have to disable the stock subwoofer, but is that necessary?

I had a friend with a 2008 CTS and he was not able to hook up a subwoofer because the remote AMP turn on would not work, he had a similar setup with the stock subwoofer.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
no issues whatso ever. i am have my factory sub level at -3 and my aftermarket sub a lil higer than normal. so in this way, i get the bass from my aftermarket and i am not blowing my factory sub

Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I found a wiring diagram online when I was doing the install. The stock sub has a connector plug. I took the connector plug off and did all my wiring there. It does have a 12v so you can do everything there. Just figure out which one is which. I suppose you could still choose to use the stock sub if you wanted to but since the stock sub is quite "open" the new sub will probably overpower it anyways.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by hyukki
I found a wiring diagram online when I was doing the install. The stock sub has a connector plug. I took the connector plug off and did all my wiring there. It does have a 12v so you can do everything there. Just figure out which one is which. I suppose you could still choose to use the stock sub if you wanted to but since the stock sub is quite "open" the new sub will probably overpower it anyways.
Thanks for the info guys.

Hey Hyukki. I am intrigued.

Are you saying I would not even have to run a power wire to the batter, but that I can draw it from the 12v in the back?

If so, can you pleaseeeeee find me that wiring diagram if possible? That would be awesome!

Also, did you guys dynamat anything, rear-deck lid, etc...?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by MikeJones916
Thanks for the info guys.

Hey Hyukki. I am intrigued.

Are you saying I would not even have to run a power wire to the batter, but that I can draw it from the 12v in the back?

If so, can you pleaseeeeee find me that wiring diagram if possible? That would be awesome!

Also, did you guys dynamat anything, rear-deck lid, etc...?

Thanks!
Oh crap, I meant the remote power lead. I believe there is a 12v wire but it's too thin for what you're gonna need anyways. My apologies, I haven't paid attention to this sort of stuff and my memory sucks.

I found this diagram from another thread on here...

2nd diagram from the left in the bottom row.
I used the +, - and amp power-on wires. Spliced them before the connector (the car side not the sub side, obivously). Ran a 2 or 4 gauge power along the side of the car, then just sanded and drilled a hole in the frame behind the backseat for the ground.

Pretty simple, except for the taking off the interior pieces in the cabin...

Last edited by hyukki; 05-11-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Also, I assumed I didn't need an LOC since in my head the +/- were pre amp because there is a small amp attached to the stock sub which the connector connects to... it works fine for me but I might have it wrong....

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Also, I assumed I didn't need an LOC since in my head the +/- were pre amp because there is a small amp attached to the stock sub which the connector connects to... it works fine for me but I might have it wrong....
Thanx for the information!

Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 AM
Oh crap, I meant the remote power lead. I believe there is a 12v wire but it's too thin for what you're gonna need anyways. My apologies, I haven't paid attention to this sort of stuff and my memory sucks.

I found this diagram from another thread on here...

2nd diagram from the left in the bottom row.
I used the +, - and amp power-on wires. Spliced them before the connector (the car side not the sub side, obivously). Ran a 2 or 4 gauge power along the side of the car, then just sanded and drilled a hole in the frame behind the backseat for the ground.

Pretty simple, except for the taking off the interior pieces in the cabin...
Hey Hukki.

I am going to be using this LOC.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...he-LOC-80.html

It is a solid setup, so my question for you is, if you look at that LOC, this one has 4 total wires, two from each channel, is this the same style LOC that you used?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:44 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
You can get an amp turn on signal from the white w/green stripe wire that runs into the bose amp. If you want to know what color the speaker wires are you can look at my Bose amp bypass thread for details.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...03-04-g35.html

Old 06-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by SergeantRed
You can get an amp turn on signal from the white w/green stripe wire that runs into the bose amp. If you want to know what color the speaker wires are you can look at my Bose amp bypass thread for details.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...03-04-g35.html
Hey Sergeant thanks for the information.

Is the wiring diagram on the one you showed me the same for the 2007 - 2008 sedan?