Tire Replacement/Upgrade for '08 G35x 17"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Replacement/Upgrade for '08 G35x 17"

I just got a new '08 G35x w/ 225/55/17 GY Eagle RSA tires.
I read a lot of bad comments/reviews on these tires.
So I've been researching replacement of tires.

I like the looks of the OEM 17" wheels and will likely stay with that size.
I don't plan on lowering the car.

Looks like General Exclaim UHP is a good all-around tire for this car.
Are there better choices?

Is upgrading to 235/50/17 a good idea?
Indicated 60mph is actually 58.9 (1.8% fast).
Or should I stay w/ stock width/ratio?

Tom

Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
To your question regarding GY Eagle RSA tires: My '05 came with GY Eagle Eagle RSA and at first I was disappointed with wear but I managed to squeeze 32K out of them. I just replace them with top of the line Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and I'm not so sure that was a good move. The RSA's were very responsive side-to-side with a decent ride but the Michelin's seem soft comparatively; I get much more body lag & roll when attempting crisp lane changes and I'm not yet confident with high speed curves, and this from a Z rated tire. The RSA's were tight all around. The best review of the RSA will be your own. You might want to ride them out a while, if you want to stay with 55's then what's the rush?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:08 AM
I would not recomend general tires. And tire depends and what u want, there are different views of tires. Ones that grip better will wear faster pretty much, I work at firestone so some tires I can think of are Wide ovals, 960's, firehawk gt as far as all around.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Although I have an 07 Sport, my G is waiting to be picked up today with some new Pilot Sport A/S Plus's. I hated the F1's. I hope the PS A/S's handle better. If not I'm putting on Summer only's next time and dealing with the winter.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Double ACL: I agree with your assessment. I also discovered today on this forum some more info. The treadwear on the RSAs is 260 - not a great number, BUT the treadwear is affected by the compound used in the tire. The long the treadwear, the Harder the ride and maybe less handling abailities of the tire. Could make sense.I have RSAs on my 2007 G35X, with 16k, about half tire tread left. But the ride has diminished with the age; I leave them filled at 33lbs now, used to keep them at 35 lbs. MPGs are down too.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by DoubleACL
To your question regarding GY Eagle RSA tires: My '05 came with GY Eagle Eagle RSA and at first I was disappointed with wear but I managed to squeeze 32K out of them. I just replace them with top of the line Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and I'm not so sure that was a good move. The RSA's were very responsive side-to-side with a decent ride but the Michelin's seem soft comparatively; I get much more body lag & roll when attempting crisp lane changes and I'm not yet confident with high speed curves, and this from a Z rated tire. The RSA's were tight all around. The best review of the RSA will be your own. You might want to ride them out a while, if you want to stay with 55's then what's the rush?
Some user reviews indicated the tires were spooky on water and snow and dangerous on ice. That is why I was thinking about changing now while they have some value. Maybe they are better than that. Don't know.

Tom

Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Orange Power
Some user reviews indicated the tires were spooky on water and snow and dangerous on ice. That is why I was thinking about changing now while they have some value. Maybe they are better than that. Don't know.

Tom
the Eagle RSA's are horrible in the snow and rain. i drove on them for 2 winter seasons and both seasons freaked me out so much that i am switching to Blizzaks.
case in point, there was less than 0.25 inches of powdery snow on the ground, and i was turning left around a gentle bend @ 15mph. all of a sudden my tires lost traction and i slid into a pile of snow.
the handling is okay in rain, but the RSA's show their weakness when it snows.
my suggestion if you are in the snow belt, if $ allows, buy a dedicated summer/winter set. i guarantee you that you will feel the difference on dedicated tires.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 PM
My experience with GY Eagle RSA's having good handling comes from all central Florida driving - obviously no snow. So thanks G35xQX1 for the clarification. I didn't have any issues in rain, but as they are 225's anyway, I've been careful.
And yes Amatti, I too backed off the tire pressure to 30psi (which is the door sticker pressure) as I reached 25K & noticed the centers wearing way more than the outside edges. I picked up a little more grip but lost about a mile or per gallon.
Even at the lower pressure and with 32k miles, they still handled more crisply than the newly mounted Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my coupe (also at 30psi when installed). The store suggested we pump them up to 38psi to stiffen them up a bit (their rated to 51). I've noticed a slight improvement in handling while I'm very very happy with the smoother, quiet ride. So I'll probably accept that trade-off plus know that I'm getting a safer tire, especially if I ever travel to the great white north.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I think the stock 17" tires are just fine -- i live in chicago and they are good in the snow, just fine in the dry and wet... i never really push the G to the limits in the dry .. but it's not a sports car anyway, so why would i.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:15 PM
tire replacement

My 04 came with GY RSA's. Never liked them but wore the 04's to about 37K miles. Did a lot of research on tires and bought a set of
Yokohama V4S. Not only did these tires perform great but I got over 53K miles before replacement. Bought another set and they also ran great.
I just traded my 04 for an 08 G35X. Yeah, the car came with RSA's.
When these wear out, I'll be back to the Yokohama's.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:18 PM
I order a set set of General Exclaim UHP to be put on this week.
Tire got a lot of good user comments on TireRack for performance sedans (medium and high) like G35 and M3.
Hope they work out.

Tom

Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Orange Power
I just got a new '08 G35x w/ 225/55/17 GY Eagle RSA tires.

Is upgrading to 235/50/17 a good idea?
Indicated 60mph is actually 58.9 (1.8% fast).
Or should I stay w/ stock width/ratio?

Tom
I have the same question, is a 235/50/17 tire able to be mounted on the stock 17" rims?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Bringing back from the dead.....what are individuals thoughts on 235/50/17 tire mounted on stock 17" rim?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Bringing back from the dead again. I am interested in an attractive somewhat all season tire for my 17" on my 2008 g35x. Also if the 235/50/17 appear meatier and work would that be a good decision?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
It would be nice Tom when you ask a question like this regarding tires, we knew what part of the country you live in. If you live in the warm states where you don't drive in snow you couldn't do better than Michelin's new Super Sports. The UTQG is 300 so they'll wear extremely well and will handle almost like the PS2s with near zero noise. Check www.Tirerack.com for best prices. My experience with Goodyear's I wouldn't put them on my Honda! (lawnmower)
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement/Upgrade for '08 G35x 17"