Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pads

So my rear pads need replacement at 22K miles. Do I stick with OEM or go with another aftermarket manufacturer? Need your input fellas. And I cant afford the Akebono's at the moment so dont even go there.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how in the world did you wear through rear pads in 22k miles?

usually the stock fronts go bad with regular driving at 60k miles-and they wear out quicker than rears. if they really are worn, you might need to seek the dealers advice on what the underlying problem is thats wearing the rears out.

but to answer the question-
if you are satisfied with your cars braking-get OEMs
if you want more bite/grab- get metal pads(make more noise such as squeeking tho)
if you want better pedal feel- get stainless steel lines with higher boiling point fluid
if you want better higher speed higher force performance-get slotted or drilled rotors+fluid
if you want all of the above, get that which will run about $800. and also invest in some high performance tires and you are looking at the price of the akebono stock setup. its all in what you want/need.

i personally want the akebonos with slotted rotors, stainless lines, metal pads, and high boiling point fluid. my cars braking is good for a panic/emergency stop once, after that braking deminishes greatly thanks to 20'' rims.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I spoke to the dealer service rep last friday and mentioned to him that my slip, vdc off light and brake light were coming on. He checked my brake fluid resoirvoir and said your low on fluid therefore the light comes on. He poured in fluid to the max level and now the light does'nt come on anymore. He said check your rear pads because the rear caliper piston has extended out to compensate for brake pad wear hence more fluid leaving your resoirvoir. I mentioned how is that the rear brake pads wear sooner than the front? He said, sports sedans when braking dont lean forward when you punch on the brakes which is really true and i love that. He said as a result the car "squats" because the rear brakes are working hard to prevent from that "leaning forward which you experience in trucks and suv's". Hence my rear pads are worn down pretty good and will require replacement in the next 1-2 months.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
ok, well i tried to break it down as to what to get to satisfy what your looking for.

your answer really comes from the type of driving you do.

im at 39k miles, drive normally 65% of the time, use the engine to slow down 15%, and brake heavily the other 20%.

front pads are at 60-70% life, rears are 75-80% life. but as i stated they are done after a few good stops thanks to the rims. so i need the whole upgrade to get a caliper that gets more pad on the surface, get a pad that grabs better, get a rotor lets gasses escape, get higher DOT fluid to prevent fluid boil, and get lines to prevent brake line expansion. this is because i am working up to shifting this car to a nice handling, braking, accelerating car that i can track if i want to.

i quickly found this car is FAR from that when i hit a HWY that is known for its turns. 313 turns in 11 miles, elevational change of 1000feet up and a few hundred down. the G is not ready lol.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by IvoryPearl07G
i quickly found this car is FAR from that when i hit a HWY that is known for its turns. 313 turns in 11 miles, elevational change of 1000feet up and a few hundred down. the G is not ready lol.

mmmmm, the dwagon

Old 04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
My driving is 80% streets and 20% hwy. A lot of braking on the streets, especially stopping from high speeds. I'm gonna go to the dealership and see what they say with respect to the pad life right now.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
sorry for jacking your thread. but since everyone is on the same topic. i was wondering do you guys know why my car makes a Very loud rocking noise when i'm braking.

Well i'm currently running on stock rotors and pads in the rear. only have 45k miles

Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
how in the world did you wear through rear pads in 22k miles?

usually the stock fronts go bad with regular driving at 60k miles-and they wear out quicker than rears. if they really are worn, you might need to seek the dealers advice on what the underlying problem is thats wearing the rears out.

Wait wait wait, are you saying the front brake pads need replacing roughly every 60,000 miles??????

Old 04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I can't see getting 60K out of these pads without a stick shift... it's just never gonna happen. Not with any sort of city/town driving anyway. All highway, maybe.
The rears in the G wear faster than the fronts, due to the amount of rear brake being applied by the VDC.
I replaced my rears at 33K and did the fronts about 2 months after that. They weren't gone, but they were close.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM
with my driving- such as coasting to a stop and using engine braking before actual brake pedal, i think i prolong my brake life. all my past vehicles will go 50-60k miles no problem on brake pads. i do tend to warp stock rotors 3-4 times in that time period from the high speed braking. also, i hardly ever have my vdc kick in. so i guess my situation is unique.

hey primo-injected performance done any ecu flashes or piggy back tunes on HR motors? i would like a custom tune. PM me if you have an answer for me

Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im at 37k wit my 04 coupe i went to the dealership nd they said all four need to be replaced

Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^+1 rears do go out before fronts on this car largely due to vdc, i went with ceramic pads and am very happy with the reduced to near no brake dust on rims(means dont have to wash the car every other day) no noise what so ever and top notch braking! oh i do have slotted/drilled rotors that help a bit.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In replaced my rears I think at like 25k and I just went with OEM pads, they work for me and I'm pretty tough on my car.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
with my driving- such as coasting to a stop and using engine braking before actual brake pedal, i think i prolong my brake life. all my past vehicles will go 50-60k miles no problem on brake pads. i do tend to warp stock rotors 3-4 times in that time period from the high speed braking. also, i hardly ever have my vdc kick in. so i guess my situation is unique.
I had a 96 Toyota Tacoma with 75K on the clock, still rolling on the same factory installed brakes. It was a 5-speed and I drove that like a truck... certainly not like a G.
I wish I could get that out of my G, but it'll never happen.

Yeah, I'm not a maniac on the roads, but the VDC kicks in quite a bit with even modest spirited driving.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I can't see getting 60K out of these pads without a stick shift... it's just never gonna happen. Not with any sort of city/town driving anyway. All highway, maybe.
The rears in the G wear faster than the fronts, due to the amount of rear brake being applied by the VDC.
I replaced my rears at 33K and did the fronts about 2 months after that. They weren't gone, but they were close.
+1 I replaced mine at 26k miles, they probably could have gone 30k.

OP, I went OEM, they didn't fade for me even on the track, and they don't dust much.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads