Decision time for Springs!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice Scott!!! looks great!!!! :P Congrats again.

How does the drop look from rear and the front? fairly even? or does the rear sag more?

Old 10-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
No sagging at all... it looks great. We all know the rear fenders are cut differently than the front, but the car sits nice and level and looks good from all angles.

The best thing about this is the feel of the car in the corners. It's much improved with hardly any body roll at all on exit ramps. I've also noticed there seems to be more 'bite' when accelerating, sorta like there being less power loss due to the stiffer suspension. I dont know, but it feels great.

I'm liking it. I'm hoping to have the car cleaned up and some pictures taken by the end of the weekend. I worked until midnight last night, I'm playing Mr Mom tonight and they're calling for rain all weekend.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Im liking what im hearing =) hehe

how are you finding the new ride height in regards to everyday drivability? Do you find having to be SUPER careful with differing surfaces and levels? Or for the most part, its pretty good? no need to be overly cautious that is.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey Scott, congrats on your spring install. It looks great

Old 10-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Wes_888
Im liking what im hearing =) hehe

how are you finding the new ride height in regards to everyday drivability? Do you find having to be SUPER careful with differing surfaces and levels? Or for the most part, its pretty good? no need to be overly cautious that is.
I was really worried about the ride height. I got to the shop to pick up my car and standing next to it, you really notice the drop. The roof sits mid-chest on me now.
I got in and started driving and I was super cautious. The shop is on an old country road and the surface is less than stellar. I got to work and we have two huge speed bumps... I cleared both driving straight over them... no angled approach.
On my way home, I was starting to get comfortable with it and after testing it on my very steep driveway and seeing that it cleared there as well, I'm no longer worried.
I'm starting to get on it now and for the most part, there's nothing to worry about. I do try to avoid uneven road surfaces, but I did that before the drop anyway. You feel bumps more than before. They're more abrupt and you know you're hitting road seams and uneven bridge to road transitions but nothing you can't live with.

Wes, take my car onto a few exit ramps and you'll have these things on your car by week's end. The feedback is fantastic and I can now take the car right to the limits of the tires and know right where that limit is, without feeling the car roll to one side like before. It's a great feeling and I'm still super happy with it.
The other million G drivers on Eibachs can't be wrong... right?

BTW, I've gotten 4 compliments on my car since getting it back from the shop Tuesday afternoon.
Maybe it's because I park it in a garage at work next to my friends 08XS which is on OEM springs. The difference is night and day.

Originally Posted by GEE35FX
Hey Scott, congrats on your spring install. It looks great
Thanks Wayne. Honestly, I don't know why I waited so long. If I had taken a ride in someone else's G on Eibachs, I would have done this a long time ago.
I even had wife approval before getting it done, which adds to the pleasure!

Last edited by AesonVirus; 10-16-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread guys.

I have an '09 AWD and installed the Eibach Pro Kit springs a little over a week ago and had an alignment done a few days ago. AesonVirus, I'm curious to see what your post-alignment numbers are, as my camber way out of spec both front and rear. Really bummed about that because it looks like I will absolutely need camber kits.

My impressions are as follows-
- Night and day difference in the look department. The car just looks so much better without that ridiculous wheel gap. I didn't measure exactly, but I've got a little less than a two-finger thick gap in the front and less than a 1 finger gap in the rear (fenders cut differently as has been mentioned- I do wish that this was more even). The gap used to be FOUR fingers in the front and THREE in the rear. Really a dramatic difference and more aggressive than I anticipated, but I love it.
-Handling is without a doubt MUCH improved. Absolutely no roll/lean on very hard turns (I felt a lot of body roll on the stock setup) and the car feels much more planted. No floatiness at highway cruising speeds either (this was prevalent on stock setup). I've driven it very hard in the days after getting the springs, windy roads, straighaways, even before alignment, and it really feels like a different car. I'm really amazed at the improvement that $240 springs have made.
- At highway crusing speed, the comfort level is close to stock. At slow speeds, there is a bit of a difference, it certainly is not as cushiony. The real difference is apparent when (inadvertently) going over small bumps/potholes. All in all, however, the drastic improvement in ride quality and looks more than offsets the *small* reduction in comfort. I will note that I am on the stock 17" wheels/tires, so factor this in as needed- I am sure that the ride will get at least slightly harsher with 19"s in the spring.

I'll try to post pics in a few, although the afters don't do justice.

To summarize, I am extremely happy with the results, I just wish that my camber wasn't so out of spec. Unless I find someone to align at least a bit closer to spec, it looks like I will need camber kits for both front AND rear- something I was trying to avoid when I was researching this mod.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey Tia... welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I'm a little worried about the camber as well. I'm most likely going to order a rear camber kit and have it on hand when the car gets it's alignment, which I'm planning to have happen about a week from now. We've found that pretty much any drop, no matter how subtle, will need a rear kit. Front kit I'm not too worried about.
I'll definitely let you know how things go.

And you're right... pics don't do this justice.
I dropped the car for looks alone but I would have done it much sooner if I knew just how much better the car was going to feel afterwards.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:18 PM
BEFORE

AFTER

POST ALIGNMENT

Last edited by classy37; 10-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Looks great.

You should think about some window tint. That always makes the car pop that much more.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Looks great.

You should think about some window tint. That always makes the car pop that much more.
Eh. I've had tint on my previous cars. With this car I go back and forth on this all the time. On a white car, it needs to be very dark IMO (especially with a light interior), and here that's a problem. I've seen a lot of white cars on nice sets of 20s/19s without tint and I really like the look.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Car looks fantastic Classy!!! same as mine,,, wow that before pick is just outragously high!!! btw.. i also am running 15mm wheel spacers the give a REAL nice look down the side of the car,, very flush,, with zero rubbing issues, even under autocrossing cornering....

Old 10-20-2009, 12:12 AM
classy - car looks great. Any side shots? I wanna see how tucked in the 17's look when dropped.

Scott - im still waiting on your proper photoshoot!!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm trying!!! You know me. There's no way I'm posting pics of my car until it's clean.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Guys,
Is $172 (shipped) the best I'm going to do for a rear camber kit? This would be the SPC kit to be more specific.
Need to know... I need an alignment and I haven't even orderd the rear kit yet.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wes_888
Scott - im still waiting on your proper photoshoot!!
Wes... the things I do for you.

I left work early, got my little one out of daycare and booked home. I walk in the door and tell my wife that I need to disappear for 15 minutes. I leave her hanging with hungry kids and run out the front door.
I go outside and do a quick wash on the car. I grab the camera, snap a pic and see that it's too dark to capture the car. I then run back to my gear bag and grab my flash, pop it on, snap a few more to find that the batteries are too low... I need more light!
I run in the house and climb up into the attic. I come down with an arm full of Christmas flood lights and extension cords.
I go back outside, run 100ft of cord, hook up two 250W flood lights and snap a few more pics. Now, the light reflecting off the car is way too much... can't see the car. I rerun the wires, reposition the lights and snap a few more pics... bad lighting. I then turn the internal flash off and use just the flood lighting, but it requires a long shutter time and I couldn't go back into the house to grab a tripod... the wife would have flipped on me. Nothing was coming out. The wife thinks I'm nuts, trying to take pictures of my car in the driveway in the pitch dark with flood lights blasting out of the back yard... she may be right.
Here's the outcome of a rushed photoshoot in the pitch dark with bad lighting. LOL

I'll have to snap a few pics tomorrow in the parking garage at work. Tonight just didn't work out.
I tried though!

EDIT - Ya know, looking at these crappy pics, the drop looks good with no butt sag at all.
Things have settled VERY nicely and I couldn't be happier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Decision time for Springs!