Shudder at 40mph (~60km/h)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
O.k. just dropped the G off this morning, I went for a ride along with the Tech again. Soon as i started the card it did that funny idle and almost died out. He said he immediately knew what it was. He apologized and said he forgot to reset the idle or something like that. He said the car was trying to learn the idle range again after the reflash. He said the first generation requires them to reset the idle after a refresh but the second generation sometimes did not. So he said it was an easy fix. New tranny is on order and while they have it today he is going to do the TSB on the heat shield and turn the rotors. So I'm a pretty happy camper now. Now I need to look for an extended warranty, I'm open to suggestions. What extended warranty do you guys have?

Oh an I'm rocking a little white EX35, looks like a bubble lol!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Nice i am so glad everything worked out for you, and as for adjusting the idle he is right, on the G you have to do the idle relearn if you unplug the TB harness which i am not sure why the would unplug.

Anyways congrats on the soon to be new tranny and fully functional car, as for the extended warranty i got the Infiniti Elite Extended Warranty for about a grand which covers ALL mechanical and electric systems for upto 100,000mi or 8yrs (had to work on that with the manager ).

Till then enjoy the EX.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
This might help you decide on which warranty to get, with this plan you get many other little luxuries as well as unlimited claims and peace of mind that your repairs will be done right with OEM parts.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
This might help you decide on which warranty to get, with this plan you get many other little luxuries as well as unlimited claims and peace of mind that your repairs will be done right with OEM parts.
Thanks Kool Yaar, I'm just looking over my invoice and they replaced the pads, rotors, baffle plates and disc brake kit.

Everything on the warranty info was reading great until I got to he FAQ-that warranty coverage can be denied if I don't do all the maintenance intervals. I don't do the 15k, 30k, 40k etc. I intend to do the big service jobs but not the rip off ones that change your oil and check everything for $400.00. So if all extended warranties are requiring I get every service interval this will be a no go for me.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Well i have the plan and do all my maintenance myself and discussed this explicitly with my service manager and he told me as long as i have my receipts it should be no issue and even if i didnt they would have to prove that the service had not been performed which caused the damage.

Remember its an Infiniti warranty not a dealership exclusive, and as per infiniti they can not require you to get the service done by infiniti to keep your warranty they can just enforce you to get it done in time.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is going in 2 weeks for this issue finally. It has been getting worse so it's time to bring it in. I noticed the shudder at 45 mph the other day which has never happened before. I am interested to see what they find.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update on my case. I had this shudder they replaced torque converter. It became jerky at downshifting. They updated the ECU/TCU was little better than got worse. Finally replaced my tranny and it is all good now. Back to where it was at day1. Smooth shifting. Oh yeah.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Keep me posted, my dealer has been no help with this issue. They said this happens on every G...ya right.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by NBYOND
Keep me posted, my dealer has been no help with this issue. They said this happens on every G...ya right.
Wow, I would hate to hear that response from my dealer. Like I said this is been going on for a while and has recently gotten slightly worse. Passengers sometimes can feel it and ask me if the car is going to stall.

I'd hate to say it, but this is one good reason for a lease. I am still on the fence about buying out my lease or getting a new one. If they don't resolve this it is being returned. I figured I would have it looked at while under warranty even if I do return it so that I do the next guy a favor. My dealer is 3 hours away but it should be done.

I'll let you know what I find out. If they change the tranny is it a one day job? I wonder if they will give me a loaner to drive 3 hours home and 3 hours back!!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Mossman, were you ever a member on ExplorerX? If so, I was GordieHowe09 over there.

I love my G, but not enough to keep it if I think they're might be tranny issues. If the situation isnt resolved soon I'll be getting rid of mine for something else. Hopefully I can take all these examples in and get it fixed. Mine's only under warranty until July...

Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by NBYOND
Mossman, were you ever a member on ExplorerX? If so, I was GordieHowe09 over there.

I love my G, but not enough to keep it if I think they're might be tranny issues. If the situation isnt resolved soon I'll be getting rid of mine for something else. Hopefully I can take all these examples in and get it fixed. Mine's only under warranty until July...
I have no idea what explorerX is so would have to say no.

They should resolve this issue. It's not too bothersome to me (and I am picky) but I am more concerned about reliability in this case.

My dealer has been great about the small things that have gone wrong with the car which were minor imo. Heated seat didn't work from new, fixed in one day. Brakes warped, completely replaced. Now the rubber under the chrome on the trunk is squeezing out. They said that was common will change when they look at the transmission (part in stock).

I am happier with this car than any other car in my past. I have had a 98 Prelude, 2001 A4 (JUNK !!) and a 2005 Subie Legacy Gt. This car has been the best and I would buy it or lease a new one. Although I might test drive the 335xi coupe... not sure I can justify the extra money for those 3 little letters though. Also German reliability is horrible. At least the dealer is very close. haha.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by mossman
I have no idea what explorerX is so would have to say no.

They should resolve this issue. It's not too bothersome to me (and I am picky) but I am more concerned about reliability in this case.

My dealer has been great about the small things that have gone wrong with the car which were minor imo. Heated seat didn't work from new, fixed in one day. Brakes warped, completely replaced. Now the rubber under the chrome on the trunk is squeezing out. They said that was common will change when they look at the transmission (part in stock).

I am happier with this car than any other car in my past. I have had a 98 Prelude, 2001 A4 (JUNK !!) and a 2005 Subie Legacy Gt. This car has been the best and I would buy it or lease a new one. Although I might test drive the 335xi coupe... not sure I can justify the extra money for those 3 little letters though. Also German reliability is horrible. At least the dealer is very close. haha.
Talked to the dealer today and have an appointment scheduled for March 31st. I guess we will see what happens. I was wrong, the car is under warrantly until July of 2011, but regardless it needs to be fixed.

I love the car too, everything about it...actually I can't stand the crappy interior plastic on the door handles, but other than that I really like it.

Only thing I would consider getting in its place would be a new Maxima.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Just wanted to say I have this exact same problem. I had the ECU flashed about 6months ago (for the TSB on rough engine idle) and it made the shudder way worse which made me deal with it this long since I'm afraid another update will make it even more horrible.

However, after reading this thread I may take it in just in case I can get a new tranny, but I don't know about doing another ECU update at this point. I'm down to the powertrain warranty (62k mi) so I don't know if that even covers ECU flashes... I think I may be ready to jump ship and get another car as more and more problems appear.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by voltagefx
Just wanted to say I have this exact same problem. I had the ECU flashed about 6months ago (for the TSB on rough engine idle) and it made the shudder way worse which made me deal with it this long since I'm afraid another update will make it even more horrible.

However, after reading this thread I may take it in just in case I can get a new tranny, but I don't know about doing another ECU update at this point. I'm down to the powertrain warranty (62k mi) so I don't know if that even covers ECU flashes... I think I may be ready to jump ship and get another car as more and more problems appear.
Make sure you have the newest version of the flash. If you are uncertain, they should have it on record as to which one they flashed it with.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Will do, I looked at the work order and it just lists the TSB, doesn't say with version they flashed to so hopefully they noted it in their system.

Last edited by voltagefx; 03-25-2010 at 10:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shudder at 40mph (~60km/h)