Two piece rotors for Akebono are in - pix

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
434 each!!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks great adrian! im still waiting for them to produce mine...and when the heck did you get baller wheels?!!?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Sweet!!

shouldn't the rotors go the other way around though?
I love your wheels and they look even better with the BBK
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
I was wondering that, too. The slot 'sweep' seems to be in the wrong direction...are they on the wrong side(s)?

Look great, though.
GT-R Brembo:

A's Akebono's:

Vanes are oriented the same. Interestingly enough, some pics show the rotor facing the opposite way. Like Ian said, I don't think it really matters.

Last edited by E-Ticket Ride; 02-24-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
so since it's a two piece rotor you only have to replace the rotor part of it next time right?

How much is that by it self?

Never mind. I found the price.

Looks great.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
nice, very functional looking. not as visually pleasing to the eye as i had hoped though.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
any word on rears? at least 1pc rears w/matching slots, if 2pc are gonna be a problem.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
The rotors are installed in the correct direction.
Slots are cut across the direction of the internal vanes.
It would really weaken the rotor if they were parallel direction.

My Stoptechs are another example.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G

Here are some pics of the rotors installed. The first pic is a before pic with the stock brakes and all the other pics are with the new RacingBrake 2-pc rotors with the Akebono calipers.
Sorry for the OT, but do you have any full car pics of the GT30's mounted? I would like to see how those offsets look....

Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, this is a nice surprise.. mine just arrived.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
Mmmmm tasty mods...

dangit! stop temping me with all these sessy toys!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Sweet!!

shouldn't the rotors go the other way around though?
I love your wheels and they look even better with the BBK
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
I was wondering that, too. The slot 'sweep' seems to be in the wrong direction...are they on the wrong side(s)?

Look great, though.
Thanks, man!

As other have already mentioned, the slots are correct. I know it looks a little odd, but they are actually supposed to be installed that way. The slots run parallel to the interal vanes on the vented rotor and it's the direction of the vanes that determine the direction of rotation, not the actually slots. Installed this way, the vane actually create a suction effect and pull air through the holes in the slots, helping to keep them cool, vent gasses, and prevent the slots from packing with brake dust.

Originally Posted by Deepdiver
interesting how the crossdrill is in the slot. I suppose its cause they aren't channeled to the edge.
It's called an "open slot" design and it is patented by RacingBrake. It give you the best of both worlds (i.e. slotted and drilled) without any of the drawbacks. You can read more about it on their web-site.

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/two_piece_compare.asp

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Looks great Adrian

What pads did you go with?
Thanks, Ian!!

Per Mike at Racing Brake's recommendation, I went with the Hawk HPS pads. He recommended them over the Hawk Ceramics or Project Mu's. He says that since these rotors are so hard, they require an equally hard pad to match them and most other performance street pads are just too soft. I'll let you know how I like them once I get some miles on them.

Originally Posted by G35_FTMFW
what did you pay for these?

Yes i would like to know what pads you got also
They aren't cheap. Here's a link to the product page on their web-site:

http://www.racingbrake.com/G37S_Akeb...133-381-02.htm

They ran a pre-order group buy back in August when we started this project, so they were offering them at a discounted price, albeit, they were still quite expensive.

Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
Nice A, but man they still look small behind those wheels.
I know, S!!! Crazy, huh?!?! 14" rotors look nice with 19" wheels, but they don't quite cut it with 20" wheels. I actually just installed a 15" Alliance BBK on my buddy's car and those things really fill up the 20" wheels nicely... Makes me want to upgrade again already.

My thanks to SoundMike and E-Ticket Ride for helping to answer all the questions on these. And, congrats to the guys that already received their new RacingBrake rotors!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by G35xQX1
looks great adrian! im still waiting for them to produce mine...and when the heck did you get baller wheels?!!?
Hehehe... I've had the new wheels for a couple of months now. I originally ordered a set of Forgestar's back in August, but they screwed them up somehow and in December they told me it would be another 6 to 7 months, so they credited back my money and I started looking for something else. I ended up getting the GT-30's used from a forum member over on MyG37. They only had apx 6K miles on them and are in virtually perfect condition, so I'm happy!

Originally Posted by JOKER
so since it's a two piece rotor you only have to replace the rotor part of it next time right?

How much is that by it self?

Never mind. I found the price.

Looks great.
Yup, you are correct! You can simply replace the ring (disc part) so you don't have to buy a complete new rotor assembly. The replacement rings are still quite expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a complete new rotor.

I know you said you already found it, but for everyone else, here's a link the the replacement rings on RacingBrake's web-site: http://www.racingbrake.com/G37S_Akeb...403-02-381.htm

Note that these include all replacement hardware required to swap the rings, so there's no need to purchase anything else.

Originally Posted by jran76
Sorry for the OT, but do you have any full car pics of the GT30's mounted? I would like to see how those offsets look....
My calipers are currently off getting powder coated, but as soon as they come back and I get the car back on the road I will take some updated pics to post up. I've got several new mods that haven't been posted on here yet, so stay tuned!

For what it's worth, the offsets work pretty well if you don't mind running some negative camber in the rear. The rear is actually a bit more aggressive than I prefer, but with -2.4° negative camber in back, evryone says that it looks perfect. The front offset is nearly perfect, but I may add 5 mm spacers in the future so they match the rears a little better.

Originally Posted by jookyshank
Mmmmm tasty mods...

dangit! stop temping me with all these sessy toys!

I know what you mean, man... I'm always drooling over all the new mods I find on this site... makes it hard to not to spend all my disposable income on my G. LOL

Old 02-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G

My calipers are currently off getting powder coated, but as soon as they come back and I get the car back on the road I will take some updated pics to post up. I've got several new mods that haven't been posted on here yet, so stay tuned!

For what it's worth, the offsets work pretty well if you don't mind running some negative camber in the rear. The rear is actually a bit more aggressive than I prefer, but with -2.4° negative camber in back, evryone says that it looks perfect. The front offset is nearly perfect, but I may add 5 mm spacers in the future so they match the rears a little better.
No problem. You pretty much answered what I was looking for. I was most curious about the rears, and I did not think the fronts would be a problem. Looking forward to pics when you get everything back together....

Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Cool. Glad to help. I'll let you know once I post up some updated pics of the car. Should be within the next week or two.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Some more photos for the curious.

Lifting this alternately with the OEM, you can *definitely* tell the difference in weight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Two piece rotors for Akebono are in - pix