Question about SS Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I tried it both ways...per their instructions and the way you did. It did not line up well with the banjo bolt their bbk way. I ended up doing the way you did. BUT...for whatever reason, i had to use the line marked L on the passenger side to get the tabs to orientate the same direction as you have them. Not sure if Stoptech marked my lines wrong or maybe you swapped them a couple years ago because you thought that was the best fitment. Good call however it happened. It seems to have enough clearance. I'll probably do the other side tomorrow and the rears.

All in all...I'm pretty disappointed with my stoptech line install experience so far. I do not have a warm fuzzy at all about these lines and I'm a bit paranoid since this is my wifes daily driver and the last thing I could take is her having a brake line failure. These lines are really engineered for their BBK first and a stock caliper setup was an afterthought. Not pleased with lack of instructions or fitment. In hindsight, I wish I wouldn't have purchased them.

Oh well, on to the finish tomorrow. Vqsmile, thanks again for your help!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by C6Zhombre

... Not sure if Stoptech marked my lines wrong or maybe you swapped them a couple years ago because you thought that was the best fitment. Good call however it happened. It seems to have enough clearance. I'll probably do the other side tomorrow and the rears.

Lol, that actually sounds exactly like something I would have done. If it looked like a better fit, then I'd have done it in a heartbeat. I do seem to remember 'test' hanging them initially and then redoing them a few more times, so it is very possible. If those clamps are welded or constructed in such a way that they are not openable, then I couldn't have flipped the clamps and must have swapped sides instead. It would make the most sense actually.

I wouldn't be too worried for your wife's DD as far as the integrity of the lines, as they ARE a good quality product, even if the instructions are lacking. I could tell when I bought them that, since they were listed to fit numerous model years/varieties, they would have a somewhat generic fit that could probably be improved with a little ingenuity. (Isn't that what modding cars is all about anyway?) Anyway, I'm sorry you're having a hard time with them. I'd suggest following your best judgement and common sense about placing them out of harms way (contact) with anything. If you do that, then they should outlast the car itself, instructions be damned. I know mine have worked flawlessly since I installed them.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 PM
All 4 rotors/pads/lines are on. I feel better today about it, it works flawlessly. I actually just got back from the bedding process. Stops great. I did have an mil light on the first start up after bleeding....I drove the car around the block a few times to test the brakes out, came home and cleared it with my handheld scanner device. Then went out for the bedding after it was cleared and I inspected everything one last time. Drove and broke just fine, pedal feel is great. I might re-bleed her one more time next weekend just to be sure. No additional mil light on the bedding trip.

Thanks again for the encouraging words, vqsmile

Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 PM
All 4 rotors/pads/lines are on. I feel better today about it, it works flawlessly. I actually just got back from the bedding process. Stops great. I did have an mil light on the first start up after bleeding....I drove the car around the block a few times to test the brakes out, came home and cleared it with my handheld scanner device. Then went out for the bedding after it was cleared and I inspected everything one last time. Drove and broke just fine, pedal feel is great. I might re-bleed her one more time next weekend just to be sure. No additional mil light on the bedding trip.

Thanks again for the encouraging words, vqsmile
Glad you got her in all back into shape, but I'm real curious what your MIL lamp illuminated for.

By any chance, did you get a chance to write down the code before you erased it?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Glad you got her in all back into shape, but I'm real curious what your MIL lamp illuminated for.

By any chance, did you get a chance to write down the code before you erased it?
Unfortunately, no. That stupid dashdaq device I have must not include whatever code it was in their "generic free" list. It indicated "failure to read code", so it's probably a code in their "enhanced nissan/infiniti list" I'd have to download from drewtechnology for a fee. It did however clear the code no problem. I have driven the car twice this morning and its still mil free.

The only thing I can think of is possibly the brake fluid level in the MC got too low at some point during the bleeding process or install. I also had the battery connected and disconnected many times. I never ran the MC dry, but it might have snuck just barely below the MIN line. If a code pops up again, I might swing by a mechanic I know locally and let him read it. I'll keep you updated if it pops up and I get to read it. Hopefully it doesn't and this is a done deal lol.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Unfortunately, no. That stupid dashdaq device I have must not include whatever code it was in their "generic free" list. It indicated "failure to read code", so it's probably a code in their "enhanced nissan/infiniti list" I'd have to download from drewtechnology for a fee. It did however clear the code no problem. I have driven the car twice this morning and its still mil free.

The only thing I can think of is possibly the brake fluid level in the MC got too low at some point during the bleeding process or install. I also had the battery connected and disconnected many times. I never ran the MC dry, but it might have snuck just barely below the MIN line. If a code pops up again, I might swing by a mechanic I know locally and let him read it. I'll keep you updated if it pops up and I get to read it. Hopefully it doesn't and this is a done deal lol.
Hmm, so it wouldn't even give you a "P" code number, regardless off whether or not it could decipher it? If you ever do get the number, all those enhanced code descriptions are available for free here: http://engine-codes.com/make/infiniti

Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Hmm, so it wouldn't even give you a "P" code number, regardless off whether or not it could decipher it? If you ever do get the number, all those enhanced code descriptions are available for free here: http://engine-codes.com/make/infiniti
No, it did not indicate any prefix to what the code was. Just "failure to read" message.

I have read more tonight on the bleeding process, and I have no doubt I did it incorrectly. From what I read, you need to have the battery disconnected during the bleed process...and I did not. Not only did I have it connected, but I had the "key" position to on...but motor off. Also, I bled apparently in an incorrect order. I went RR, LR, RF, LF.....from what I've read I should have gone in an x-pattern RR, LF, LR, RF.

Damn, 2 things wrong lol. I'm guessing that's definitely what tripped the code, probably ABS related. Ironically, still no additional MIL light since I cleared it, and the car's gone through at least 6 heat cycles since last night. I made several separate 20 minutes trips with it today. I guess I got lucky and did not get air pockets in the ABS. I did probably activate the ABS by accident last night during one of the 80-10 mph bedding stops I did....maybe that forced fluid through if some pocket did happen to be there from the incorrect bleed process.

Regardless, I'm going to re bleed tomorrow for sure with battery disconnected and correct sequence just to ease my mind. Probably a good idea.