Question about SS Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Question about SS Brake Lines

I noticed that the aftermarket SS lines i got only had four lines (2 long fronts, 2 short rears).

However, the OEM front lines seem to be composed of 2 hoses per corner. Am i right to assume that for the SS lines i bypass that other connection altogether and go straight from hardline to caliper?

Thanks.

p.s. OEM set-up is hardline/brake tube > hose > brake tube that goes from rear to front of strut body > hose > caliper.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

This had me puzzled as well but I didn't post here because I had the car ripped apart and needed to get it back together when doing a full break upgrade. I have the Stop Tech SS line kit and it was 2 short hoses for rear and 2 long hoses for front. The rears are a direct replacement, just remove the stock line and install the new SS line.

What I did for the front's was remove the OEM hose from the metal main line then removed everything from there to the caliper. That includes the metal line mounted on the backside of the strut. I then installed the new StopTech line which has two mounted brackets on the SS line and a metal/rubber bracket in the kit. I installed all three mounting brackets on the three OEM mounting points and its good to go. Have been running them for about a month now no issues, works great.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the response. So, basically just connect straight from hardline to caliper, right?

Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes, hardline to caliper using the 3 OEM bracket bolts to secure the ss line. I could take some pictures for you but wouldn't be until Saturday when I go to install my INJEN CAI.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 PM
No biggie, this certainly helps! My lines are from a different manufacturer and IIRC only has one bracket.

Thanks again!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Your welcome. Let us know how you make out and take some before/after pics. I just realized I can't find any pics of SS lines installed on our cars. I am going to take some pics and post them up anyway this weekend to help members in the future.

How do you plan to bleed your brakes? With all the air that gets in the lines when doing a SS line upgrade I researched and bought a Phoenix Systems Max Pro brake bleeder which works awesome and the best part is you can bleed your brakes with only one person. No longer need someone pumping the peddle while you crack the bleeder valve. I won mine brand new on ebay for around $100.00. I also drained all the OEM brake fluid and replaced with Super Blue Racing DOT 4 fluid.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 PM
I just found Ian's post here that shows a bit of how the lines are set-up. But if you can post better photos, all the better for the rest of us!

You seem to have made out on a really good deal with that bleeder! Don't those things retail for at least 2x as much? I'll be using a Motive Power Bleeder and regular Valvoline Synpower fluid - it's never failed on me on the handful of times i took the car to the track.

Thanks again for the help!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump...

For those with 07-08 g35s and who are running SS Brake Lines.

Looks like our cars have 6 lines while the G37 Sports have 4 lines. Supposedly we can run BBK without changing our OEM lines but I want to run SS lines.

Should I buy the 4 line kit or 6 line kit? I'm assuming 6 line kit since that's how our OEM set-up is? Anyone know how many lines are in the g37 non-sport brakes since they are suppose to be the same as ours (07-08 g35 sports) Also would the g37 sports be able to run the 6 line kits?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM
I used the kit talked about earlier, just four lines. One single line from hardline to caliper. The rears are fine, the fronts i had are a little longer than i'd like but it works just fine, too.

I think these days, the SS kits for our cars have the same set-up as OEM, along with the block-like bracket halfway through.

The following users liked this post:
OMG35S (03-30-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by OMG35S
Bump...

For those with 07-08 g35s and who are running SS Brake Lines.

Looks like our cars have 6 lines while the G37 Sports have 4 lines. Supposedly we can run BBK without changing our OEM lines but I want to run SS lines.

Should I buy the 4 line kit or 6 line kit? I'm assuming 6 line kit since that's how our OEM set-up is? Anyone know how many lines are in the g37 non-sport brakes since they are suppose to be the same as ours (07-08 g35 sports) Also would the g37 sports be able to run the 6 line kits?
Wait, when you mention that the g37 non-sport brakes are the same as g35 sports, are you referring to the G37 Coupe or sedan?? The G37 sedan non-sport brakes are the same as the G35 sedan non-sport brakes. The G37 Coupe non sport brakes are the same as G35 sedan sport brakes (with the lone exception possibly being the '09 year, unless infinitihelp info has a typo).

I can tell you that I have the G35 sedan w/Sport brakes, and I have put SS lines on it, and that they were a 4 piece set.

OMG35S (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 AM
^ good call.

Also, to add, the G37 Sport (Ake) uses a different banjo bolt.

OMG35S (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by soundmike
I used the kit talked about earlier, just four lines. One single line from hardline to caliper. The rears are fine, the fronts i had are a little longer than i'd like but it works just fine, too.

I think these days, the SS kits for our cars have the same set-up as OEM, along with the block-like bracket halfway through.
Okay, so you're using the standard brake lines that come OEM with the G37 Sports. This is different than our 6 lines that come factory with our vehicles but it still works fine. Correct?

Originally Posted by vqsmile
Wait, when you mention that the g37 non-sport brakes are the same as g35 sports, are you referring to the G37 Coupe or sedan?? The G37 sedan non-sport brakes are the same as the G35 sedan non-sport brakes. The G37 Coupe non sport brakes are the same as G35 sedan sport brakes (with the lone exception possibly being the '09 year, unless infinitihelp info has a typo).

I can tell you that I have the G35 sedan w/Sport brakes, and I have put SS lines on it, and that they were a 4 piece set.
You're using SS lines that are exactly the same setup as our cars (07-08 g35s) come from factory.

2 lines per front corners correct?

Meaning, you purchased a 6 line kit? (4 front brake lines and 2 rear brake lines)

Originally Posted by soundmike
^ good call.

Also, to add, the G37 Sport (Ake) uses a different banjo bolt.
Ahhh. What exactly is this banjo bolt? Must I purchase it for the BBK install?

I'm DIY inclined but have never bled brakes yet. I think I might just take it to a local mechanic who's done the Akebono upgrade for others already.

At first I wasn't 100% if our stock lines are plug and play with Akebono Calipers. After some research it seems as they do no problem. I'm still not sure if it is better to purchase the brake lines that the g37 sport models use since maybe it would work better with Akebono? (2 front lines instead of the 4)

I'm thinking about purchasing Goodridge or StopTech Lines. I don't know how I feel about all these other companies with SS lines. Which ones are you guys running?

Thanks for all the feedback

Last edited by OMG35S; 03-30-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by OMG35S
Okay, so you're using the standard brake lines that come OEM with the G37 Sports. This is different than our 6 lines that come factory with our vehicles but it still works fine. Correct?

<snipped>

I'm thinking about purchasing Goodridge or StopTech Lines. I don't know how I feel about all these other companies with SS lines. Which ones are you guys running?
I probably should clarify first, so we're all on the same page.

I have the Akebono BBK upgrade. The SS lines were one of CZP's earlier iterations, which had somewhat longer than needed lines, but still workable. It's particularly noticeable on one side. The kit already included the proper banjo bolt. I can't recall which is which, but the OEM bolts that come with our Sport is either too long or too short to fit properly.

If you got the SS lines for the Akebono's, very high chance it will include the correct banjo.

Here's an old pic of mine, notice it's just one line from hardline to caliper. Specifically, one line for each corner, total of four lines. I think the Goodridge and some other brands have the OEM-type set-up.

edit: here's what my kit looks like:

and the OEM-type (goodridge)

OMG35S (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all your contribution Mike!

I haven't purchased them yet because I'm not sure which to order. When they say to enter my cars information I don't know if I should enter my specific car 2007 g35s or a car that came equipped with the Akebonos (2010 g37s sedan).

My question is what are the differences in brake lines between the non-sport and sport models? Is it just the banjo bolt?

I did some more digging on myg37 and you're right about the rear banjo bolt:
http://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-a...-here-plz.html

Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Here's what confuses me:

Infiniti G35s 2007 Sedan:
http://www.stillen.com/product/brake...g25-38572.html

Infiniti G37s 2010 Sedan:
http://www.stillen.com/product/brake...kes-38581.html

Why is there an extra 2 lines for the 2007 vs 2010?

Also looks like I'm not going to look into stoptech since they don't have those square (blocks) like the Goodrich and OEMs use. Do you think this is a big factor?

Here's a picture of the stoptech's I found for sale on myg37:

Also realized this on z1motorsports brake lines:
http://www.z1motorsports.com/g37_370...oducts_id=5285
- The models without Akebono brake lines cost $44 more... I wonder why...
Z1 states "Z1 Premium Brake Lines fit 370Zs and G37s equipped with the larger Akebono brakes for the base price as listed with no additional hardware required. Cars equipped with the smaller base sliding calipers require 2 additional lines which can be included as an option below. Please select the appropriate model and options below:"

^ I'm assuming the extra $44 is for the extra 2 lines... In conclusion the non-akebono models have an extra 2 brake lines... I'm assuming that's in the front...

I'm still confused on what to order..

Last edited by OMG35S; 03-30-2013 at 01:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about SS Brake Lines