shopping for a suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shopping for a suspension upgrade

Hi guys.. I have a g35 07 sedan and like the title reads, I am looking for a suspension upgrade.. now.. I don't race or abuse my car, but i need to spice up a little the love for my car

I have a completely stock sedan.

I would love your recommendations

Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Quality Aftermarket sway bars (IE Hotchkis) is a good starting point. That will be the most effective upgrade for stock suspension.

Next cheap upgrade is aftermarket lowering springs or 350z springs.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^ Agreed

+ Adding on, coilovers will do wonders! The coils will drop your car a little more giving a much cleaner look as well as tighten up your handling. Definitely worth the money from my experience

Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
I would go for new tires first! Get some max performance (sumitomo htrz3) or extreme performance(hankook r-s3) tires. though paradoxically the driving feel may get worse with better tires since your total traction improves your roll angle will get larger.

then if you're just looking for driving feel, swaybars are probably good way to go.

I would stay away from lowering springs. You probably want to change shocks as well if you change your ride height.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by totopo
I would go for new tires first! Get some max performance (sumitomo htrz3) or extreme performance(hankook r-s3) tires. though paradoxically the driving feel may get worse with better tires since your total traction improves your roll angle will get larger.

then if you're just looking for driving feel, swaybars are probably good way to go.

I would stay away from lowering springs. You probably want to change shocks as well if you change your ride height.
Hi.. thanks for replying.. I was actually thinking about getting new wheels too and i thought of getting the Eichbak pro kit to lower the car a lil bit.. just curious.. why should i stay away from lowering springs if you don't mind my asking? . a decent set of coilovers is about 1g :/

Old 11-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by drcasper
Hi.. thanks for replying.. I was actually thinking about getting new wheels too and i thought of getting the Eichbak pro kit to lower the car a lil bit.. just curious.. why should i stay away from lowering springs if you don't mind my asking? . a decent set of coilovers is about 1g :/
Did you mean wheels or tires? Don't get new wheels and save that money towards decent suspension or something.

Basically, from what I can tell, most lowering springs are actually about the same to weaker than the stock springs. I bet this is to prevent the car from pogo-ing because the system would end up underdampened otherwise.

With same/weaker springs and lower ride height, you will bottom out your suspension. a lot. the shocks also aren't meant to run at that height and will wear and fail quicker. and in the end you will end up pogo-ing unless you keep changing out your shocks.

with same/weaker springs and a lower roll center, you will actually end up with a larger roll angle, hilariously, though this can be remedied with beefier anti-roll bars.

and don't even think about loading the car up and moving for a road trip or something.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BC Racing Coil overs. I love mine.

Trending Topics

Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by totopo
Did you mean wheels or tires? Don't get new wheels and save that money towards decent suspension or something.

Basically, from what I can tell, most lowering springs are actually about the same to weaker than the stock springs. I bet this is to prevent the car from pogo-ing because the system would end up underdampened otherwise.

With same/weaker springs and lower ride height, you will bottom out your suspension. a lot. the shocks also aren't meant to run at that height and will wear and fail quicker. and in the end you will end up pogo-ing unless you keep changing out your shocks.

with same/weaker springs and a lower roll center, you will actually end up with a larger roll angle, hilariously, though this can be remedied with beefier anti-roll bars.

and don't even think about loading the car up and moving for a road trip or something.
Thank you this was very informative how about a cool over set then ?

Old 11-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by drcasper
Thank you this was very informative how about a cool over set then ?
Coil over sets vary vastly in the quality. A lot of them have poor quality control and don't test their shocks before shipping, and the shocks you receive may not be doing what they should be doing. A lot of aftermarket coilover/shocks are also way over-dampened, because people want to feel like they got their money's worth and want a harsher ride after they put it in.

some coilover systems do help in preventing bottoming out. They will usually have stiffer springs, or very progressive springs, and some of them will have good bump-stops.

It's hard to know who makes good shocks unless you have your own shock dyno. But most people seem to agree bilstein, ohlin, penski, koni = good.

Here is more info if you are interested. Read the whole website if you have the interest/time.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so what are our current aftermarket shocks choices for otherwise stock suspension? i look at koni's and tokico's website and come up empty for a 2008 G35 sedan.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Modding your suspension is an endless task. You're better off with upgraded adjustable sway bars (Stillen) and quality tires like Michelin Super Sports. If you have over 60K miles on you Infiniti it's possible you might need new shocks, I recommend Tokico blues available on you MARKETPLACE under vendor suspension. Hope this answers some of your questions....Gary

The following users liked this post:
speavler (01-22-2013)