Borla Exhaust Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Borla Exhaust Questions...

Hey guys, i have been looking around for a decent exhaust for a LONG time now, and have seen some decent ones(Stillen, FI) which show decent gains as well as good sound, however going over the myg37.com borla review and to see the person gain 16WHP ONTOP of his Berk HFC is quite amazing(also this would be close to 18WHP on a DynoJet), AND 12 - 15 ft lbs gain and the sound is just PERFECT!!

They are also 12lbs lighter than stock and use a H-Pipe as it yielded the maximum gains for them as opposed to their X-Pipe prototype exhaust.

My G37 Borla Videos

Borla Dyno Gains ONTOP of HFC

They might not be the best looking exhausts when it comes to the muffler being polished but they are very high quality(aircraft-grade T304 Austenitic Stainless Steel) and the tips(the only part that we can see) is nicely polished, now the MSRP is high @ $1600 but ppl have found place where they get for $1211 Shipped for coupes!!

So now i wanted to know if you guys know where i can get these for my sedan around the $1200, and is it possible to just get the mufflers polished from a shop(no big deal but would prefer) and if anyone already has them plz pitch in....

Thanks

Last edited by kool_yaar; 07-31-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, great find man...I've always respected Borla and would love to get this system...let's get a group buy going or something...I'll throw down with you man

Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cool info man, but 2 things...

1) that exhaust system is a totally different setup compare to our sedan systems.

and

2) obviously the motor is different, even though a lot of the components are the same, the dynamics are different with the different displacement

so, it's a decent thing to look at but you can't go by that to see what we'd get. personally, i think the stock systems on our sedans are much better than the stock systems on the coupe, so they have more room to 'grow'...

Here's a pic of the G37 system and the G35 system.

Attached Thumbnails Borla Exhaust Questions...-140260.jpg   Borla Exhaust Questions...-140270.jpg  
Old 07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's pretty impressive gains for a catback (on ANY car).

I don't know what to think about his speculation about a dynojet numbers, but still, pretty impressive.

I'd like to see 1/4 mile times to back up the dyno gains. If they're right, it should drop like .3 seconds and gain 2-3mph in the 1/4.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by silverG2007
That's pretty impressive gains for a catback (on ANY car).

I don't know what to think about his speculation about a dynojet numbers, but still, pretty impressive.

I'd like to see 1/4 mile times to back up the dyno gains. If they're right, it should drop like .3 seconds and gain 2-3mph in the 1/4.
i could see that happening with those kind of numbers....but taking what sredish said into consideration, i wonder if we will see similar results...

Old 07-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I see borla uses a H pipe now

Old 07-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Borla G35 Sedan Exhaust
http://www.fixthisride.com/showprodu...B25&pid=140270

Borla G37 Exhaust
http://www.fixthisride.com/showprodu...B25&pid=140260

.........wtf, why do us sedan owners get shat on

Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
If the price were the same as the G37 exhaust, I would definitely be down for it. But as is, it is just plain wack.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
So $150- is the difference between deal and no deal?

Maybe the sedan is a little higher because more sedans are looking for a better sound than those with coupes?
Dunno, but it doesn't look to be a materials or labor in additional bending.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Honestly though, I kinda hate when people post big HP gains from mods on the internet.

All it does is get a bunch of people excited to spend $$, then disappointed when you don't hit the same #'s as guy X did.

I wish there was a spreadsheet of the dynos from a bunch of people, then we could just average them out and figure that an average intake (no matter what the brand) is gonna get you 5hp, and a decent exhaust (no matter what the brand) is gonna get you 10hp.

Bottom line, there's no magic when it comes to intakes and exhaust and design. The difference is how much power is "corked" from the factory from engine X. There's only so much you can gain.

Intake design when a new car comes out:
Take off old intake, attach tube, bend to fit, add large filter.... sell for $600 to suckers.

Exhaust design when a new car comes out:
Take off old exhaust. attach tubes, bend to fit, add mufflers..... sell for $1600 to suckers.

Oh yeah, and step #5, claim magically huge HP gains.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Balloon Popper!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
So $150- is the difference between deal and no deal?

Maybe the sedan is a little higher because more sedans are looking for a better sound than those with coupes?
Dunno, but it doesn't look to be a materials or labor in additional bending.
The price definitely isn't based on the labor and materials (that's probably about $150 total).

The price is set by the market. Plus, more people probably buy exhaust in the coupes, and the G37 coupe is probably going to be around longer than the 2 years of the G35 sedan.

FWIW, borla catback exhaust for an LS1 fbody (Trans Am) is around $800. For a 5.0 Mustang GT, it's $650.

They're all made of the same materials.... Borla Mufflers and tips, and bent stainless pipes. Pretty simple.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Balloon Popper!

I used to get so frustrated with the unrealistic expectations that forums on the internet produce.

There's always that ONE guy with a factory freak car that runs like stink no matter what they throw at it. There were plenty of those on ls1tech.com. Like the low 12 second guys in the 1/4 with just basic bolt ons... intake, exhaust, headers, and a tune.

It's like the nerd in school who always screwed up the curve.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
All good reviews and comments guys, i talked to a rep from Borla over at myg37 and he said they dynoed similar results on the sedan as well, also he added that the sedan exhaust is a bit more expensive because it includes two resonantors that the coupe does not(final sale prices set by sellers not them), which helps in settling down the exhaust sound a bit for a more luxury sport sound without being raspy.

i personally am liking it however we need to get a group buy going(if we have enough interest) so that we can get it around the $1250 also as mentioned the gains will vary but should be around the the same considering the g37 gained the 16WHP ontop of hfc's so stock increase should easily get us around the 14-16whp! fingers crossed

Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverG2007

I used to get so frustrated with the unrealistic expectations that forums on the internet produce.

There's always that ONE guy with a factory freak car that runs like stink no matter what they throw at it. There were plenty of those on ls1tech.com. Like the low 12 second guys in the 1/4 with just basic bolt ons... intake, exhaust, headers, and a tune.

It's like the nerd in school who always screwed up the curve.
are headers and hfc the same thing? i feel like people interchange those 2 words on the forum, but i've never heard anyone say HFC in my life, people always say intake, exhaust, headers...so what are headers? and are any made for our cars?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Questions...