Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
It's been a few days now.... any new thoughts?
I know that I loved mine even more a few days after the install.
Have you had a chance to put on some miles and allow for things to settle in?
The car pulls faster but I feel it more at higher RPMs. The interesting thing is that even though I am pushing the car hard, I am getting about 1MPG improvement (city). I should get better MPG as I settle in. To be continued...

I am not sure how BD calibrate the fuel/timing maps for better performance and still return better fuel economy.

Last edited by drgsaik; 07-12-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by q8y_drifter
and a tiny percentage of us can't flippin wait for winter xd haha
+1 :bounce:

Old 07-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by drgsaik
The car pulls faster but I feel it more at higher RPMs. The interesting thing is that even though I am pushing the car hard, I am getting about 1MPG improvement (city). I should get better MPG as I settle in. To be continued...

I am not sure how BD calibrate the fuel/timing maps for better performance and still return better fuel economy.
my guess would be a leaner A/F ratio. I was told our cars run rich from factory, particularly at higher rpms. A leaner A/F ratio would result in a noticeable power increase across the range but more specifically up top, as well as improved fuel economy (less fuel being injected)

Old 07-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm seeing more pull throughout, but it is certainly more noticeable as the RPMs grow.
I've gained 2-3 MPG since the install.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need the MPG's desperately. I live in New York and avg 14 MPG!! The wife makes me take her car (merc c-class) for extended trips, but I love my G and the mercedes just doesn't do it for me.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I just called them and they said it is NOT compatible with Mac's. I still ordered it and will have to use a friends computer I hope its worth it.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I have an old mac that can't dual boot. Had to load it on my gf's comp. Let me tell you... its worth it. For sure I got more HP... MPG is about the same, but thats probably due to me driving the car harder than before. But thats a butt dyno...

I'm early waiting the real dyno.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
my guess would be a leaner A/F ratio. I was told our cars run rich from factory, particularly at higher rpms. A leaner A/F ratio would result in a noticeable power increase across the range but more specifically up top, as well as improved fuel economy (less fuel being injected)
I am not sure I follow you on the leaner A/F = more power.

Based on my understanding, stoich. A/F is 14.7 which should be the optimal A/F ratio. If you go too lean, you start pinging. If you are too rich, you don't fully burn the fuel. Under acceleration, the A/F needs to go richer (more fuel).
Spark timing is also another ingredient for creating more power and is intertwine with the fuel calibration.

How does BD do it? Do they map every point for mean best torque?
Are they going to release updated maps in the future?
Am I better off going back to my stock intake air?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Now I just have to convince one of my friends to let me use their PC. I'm thinking a six pack bribe is a good compromise.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 AM
I am not sure I follow you on the leaner A/F = more power.

Based on my understanding, stoich. A/F is 14.7 which should be the optimal A/F ratio. If you go too lean, you start pinging. If you are too rich, you don't fully burn the fuel. Under acceleration, the A/F needs to go richer (more fuel).
Spark timing is also another ingredient for creating more power and is intertwine with the fuel calibration.

How does BD do it? Do they map every point for mean best torque?
Are they going to release updated maps in the future?
Am I better off going back to my stock intake air?
True, however not all engines like to run at a 14.7:1 ratio, some will run over 14.7 without any ping while others will ping at 14.7. a lot of ECUs are setup to run a little richer than optimal setting from factory throughout the rpm range as a safety measure. the HR's and VHR's (Not sure about the DE's) run noticeably richer than optimal in the higher rpm range which I'm assuming is why most people notice more power at the higher rpms. Again these are all assumptions based on dyno graphs showing the A/F ratios on stock HR and VHR's. I'm still waiting on members to post dyno graphs with the BD installed showing A/F ratios

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
True, however not all engines like to run at a 14.7:1 ratio, some will run over 14.7 without any ping while others will ping at 14.7. a lot of ECUs are setup to run a little richer than optimal setting from factory throughout the rpm range as a safety measure. the HR's and VHR's (Not sure about the DE's) run noticeably richer than optimal in the higher rpm range which I'm assuming is why most people notice more power at the higher rpms. Again these are all assumptions based on dyno graphs showing the A/F ratios on stock HR and VHR's. I'm still waiting on members to post dyno graphs with the BD installed showing A/F ratios
I did some reading on this. Richer A/F ratio does give more power, the pinging is taken care of by timing adjustments. But they don't do it stock for some reasons, the first is that it increases fuel consumption like mentioned earlier not all of the fuel is burnt and then this causes another problem. Because all of the fuel doesnt burn, it travels through the exhaust, not sure if it increases exhaust temperature, but then it gets into the cats and burns them up and ruins the cats. Therefore the companies wouldn't be able to pass smog emisions. I hope BD come with an update where it does run richer A/F. We could always turn it back to stock and take it to the dealer. And the biggest update BD should do is give an option to adjust the trottle restriction which exists in the car. This will not add us any power or weaken our engines, but instead allow us to use our engine true potentional. For a good driver, having trottle response is a key to a better take off, acceleration (especialy when its not restricting you from WOD) , and overall better performance. I noticed in my BD system setings that this feature was n/a.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gevo1
I did some reading on this. Richer A/F ratio does give more power, the pinging is taken care of by timing adjustments. But they don't do it stock for some reasons, the first is that it increases fuel consumption like mentioned earlier not all of the fuel is burnt and then this causes another problem. Because all of the fuel doesnt burn, it travels through the exhaust, not sure if it increases exhaust temperature, but then it gets into the cats and burns them up and ruins the cats. Therefore the companies wouldn't be able to pass smog emisions. I hope BD come with an update where it does run richer A/F. We could always turn it back to stock and take it to the dealer. And the biggest update BD should do is give an option to adjust the trottle restriction which exists in the car. This will not add us any power or weaken our engines, but instead allow us to use our engine true potentional. For a good driver, having trottle response is a key to a better take off, acceleration (especialy when its not restricting you from WOD) , and overall better performance. I noticed in my BD system setings that this feature was n/a.
Pretty sure there's no throttle restriction in our cars, that's a Titan thing. There's no option on BD to turn it off for an HR, either.

BD does not give you a choice of lean or rich, they give you three options - Standard HP, Premium Tune, or...Economy? Can't remember.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 AM
I no bro I was saying I wish it gave an option for lean or rich. About the trottle response though im not sure, but after that stupid ecm update the dealer did 2 my car, my cars trottle response went away and my car feels slower. So I thought it might be a trottle restriction thing.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
The only throttle restriction that I've heard of is while under WOT.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 AM
WOT from a standstill there is a 80% throttle restriction. I've read that we have it too. From 40mph onwards it opens up to 100%

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions