Initial Review - Injen SRI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Initial Review - Injen SRI - Updated with Videos

08-29-2010: Just a little update, it's been about 15 months, 24k miles, since the Injen has been on the car. Recently had a chance to get it dyno'd so here's a chance to hear it at WOT with as little wind/road noise as possible.

As i reported in a previous thread, there's hardly any MPG increase with this on. And to address some initial concerns about AF ratios with the Injen on, mine was hovering between 11 and just under 12 the entire rpm range. Also, according to all my Blackstone UOA's, air filtration is doing very well. Just about the only downside, if any, is that those little rubber padding that sits between the filter enclosures and the bottom of the hood cover has come off in two locations (nothing glue won't fix).

Vid of the dyno run

------ Older Threads and Updates Below ------

This is just a short review of the Injen SRI. I'll update this every now and then as i get more miles on the set-up.

Injen SRI Before/After Video - Mostly for sound comparison, it's more obvious with the windows down.
Injen SRI WOT & DRM - Just playing with it between 1st and 2nd gear at WOT and downshift rev-matching.

Installation: Pretty straight forward, i probably exerted more "grunt" in trying to pull the stock airbox off than to install the whole intake.

Fit and Finish: Excellent. Everything lines right up, and to think i bought this kit used. The dry Amsoil filter is a bonus. The intake is "enclosed" on three sides and partially on one side. The partial side is that which faces the fenders. There seems to be a pretty good seal on the hood-side, however, as it takes a bit more effort to close the hood now.

05-25-2009 Initial driving impression: There's certainly a nice growl to it at WOT, but in normal daily driving you really can't appreciate the fact that you have an aftermarket intake in the bay. Throttle response also feels iffy, whereas the stock set-up had a more linear feel to it, there is a bit of lag with the intake -- it seems to either be "gas, rpms climb, wait a second, response" or "gas, slight lag, rpms climb and the car responds". Granted, i have approximately 50 miles on the set-up, and i did not reset the ECU. I will update as time goes by. Right now, i'm not overly impressed by it.

05-27-2009 Updated driving impression: On the 2nd start-up/drive after installing the intake, i noticed the car behaved differently. The lag i mentioned above was nowhere to be found. To be on the safe side, i reset the ECU and put on another 150 miles on the set-up. The car feels touchy from a stop, quite the opposite of what i've experienced with "heat soak" on previous cars and what i almost thought was causing the lag in my initial driving impression above. It reminds me of how my car was prior to the dealership updating the ECU (without my approval, i might say, i miss that touchy throttle) - not as pronounced, but it's there.

Sound-wise, again, for normal to semi-aggressive driving you won't know the intake is there. Even with brisk acceleration (partial throttle), past 4k, the signature aftermarket intake sound is still nowhere to be found... it sounds just like the OEM box without the silencer connected. At WOT, OTOH, the intake comes alive with a nice growl. It can also be heard when you downshift/rev-match.

As for heat soak and lags, i drove nearly 20 miles in stop/go and slow moving traffic yesterday, in 97 degree weather and am happy to say i experienced no such thing. Which leads me to say, i may not feel the "few" horsepower/tq gains claimed by Injen, but it also doesn't feel like i lost any either.

On that note, looking back to the design of the intakes and the filter, the inside element of the filter is open and actually gets fed by the stock air duct that feeds air to the OEM box from in-front of the grill. I also noticed that air moving is felt more noticeably on the inside filter element than it does on the outside (the part you normally see on these intake filters). I'll bet the inner element will get dirty faster than the outside element. I'll monitor that and update this post in the future.

06-04-2009 Updated driving impression: I was recently asked for an update. I'm Happi-er with the kit, actually. To be honest i was thinking of selling the piece, but decided to give it a few more miles of "break-in", and i'm glad i waited.

I've noticed the car being much more responsive than even on my last update - and to think it's been getting hotter down here in Houston. The lag is non-existent and the car revs nicely regardless of rpm or throttle location. Although i was slightly disappointed that there's no growl unless you go WOT, i'm warming up to it... it's nice to leisurely accelerate without making much of a scene but yet have that ability to make it howl when needed.

On a different note, i just had my state inspections done and passed it without issue. (This may matter to some.)

Last edited by soundmike; 08-29-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the factory induction setup on the v36 is quite good.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I admit that I like the look of the chrome pipes under the hood that some of these intakes offer, but I will not stand for any drop in performance or a lag in response.
Keep us posted once you have a few hundred miles on the ECU... your results may be quite different. (I hope)

Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
(not to thread jack) i have the r2c and have experienced no such loss in performance the reason i say this is because my car actually feels peppy now, however initially i also had similar feeling but after about 100mi (WITHOUT reset) the car felt good, then recently i did the ecu reset with pedal method and the car felt like a new beast and has been great ever since.

So either have patience and keep driving to let the ECU modify its boundaries and adjust the A/F ratios or simply reset and experience the change much more quickly

Old 05-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys, yep, i'll likely just go ahead and reset the ECU or wait at least a couple hundred miles. At this rate, the ECU is probably still basing the performance on the stock intake. Although there is a bit of lag right now, at speed, the rush is actually quite pronounced and silly as this sounds, i wore ear plugs when i tested that part out. Why? I didn't want the sound affecting how i observed the performance. Let's face it, we tend to equate loud noises with speed.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
(not to thread jack) i have the r2c and have experienced no such loss in performance the reason i say this is because my car actually feels peppy now, however initially i also had similar feeling but after about 100mi (WITHOUT reset) the car felt good, then recently i did the ecu reset with pedal method and the car felt like a new beast and has been great ever since.

So either have patience and keep driving to let the ECU modify its boundaries and adjust the A/F ratios or simply reset and experience the change much more quickly
I can't seem to find the pedal method, would you mind posting that info up, please? Thank you.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

*Credit to whoever posted this originally. TIMING IS VERY IMPORTANT

Old 05-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

*Credit to whoever posted this originally. TIMING IS VERY IMPORTANT

Isnt just unplugging the negative terminal for 15 mins enough for a reset?

Is the above step necessary? or is that only when CEL occurs?

I would definately suggest reseting the ECU. I should have done the a long time ago when I got my exhaust on. I felt a difference when I resetted my ECU vs not reseting. I felt a loss in low end torque for a good while after my exhaust.. but after the reset, I dont feel that anymore.

But yes. Subscribed!!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I just unplugged my negative terminal today. Yes, it does exactly the same thing, only you have to redo your windows and radio presets.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:29 AM
ECU Resetting Procedures
Awesome. Thanks! I didn't realize it's the same procedure across the board. I used this same thing for my old Maxima.

Updated the first post.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Wonderful update!!! thanks!!

Makes me want to get intakes now.. :S Even though I have no cash to do so.

Its either these or the R2C's. Hands down.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I wish they made a prettier version. I know, I know, we don't drive around with our hoods open, but I love the look of the Injens and Stillen Gen 3.
Yet another intake to consider, not consider and consider again.... ugh.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
nice.. i ordered my injen long tubes.. install should be this wknd ill keep u guys posted

Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by aooooo
nice.. i ordered my injen long tubes.. install should be this wknd ill keep u guys posted
G drivers that are interested in Injen SRI's and R2C's are for ease of installation and not having oiled filters.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Wes_888
G drivers that are interested in Injen SRI's and R2C's are for ease of installation and not having oiled filters.
okay ?? lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Initial Review - Injen SRI