Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suby01
i dont know, im going tommarow to see what they tell me. i asked them so send me to paperwork email or whatever. that would state the what specific part caused what specific damage. they refused to do that. the engine is apart and hes like you seem to know a lot about cars come take a look at it. just being a real..... so i agreed going to go down first thing in the am. but they should also be prepared with some proof to backup their decision.

what does the dealer care they just want to be tough guys and say were not covering it. honestly they would make more money because the part would be free of charge and they would still get $$ from infiniti for the labor. if they fixed it like they said they would in the first place i was going to trade it in for a new G. and later on this year purchase a convertible for my mom. but now they just lost a pretty valuable customer.
Your warranty isn't through the dealer, it's through Infiniti, and the dealer won't do any work without authorization on a case like this. I'll put money on it that infiniti is asking for pics, and they will ask for the motor back from the dealer for inspection. If infiniti finds aftermarket parts that caused the failure, they won't pay the dealer and the dealer will be out the money for the motor and labor.
I'd deal directly with infiniti from here on out, I'd also call my insurance co and start a claim. Your attorney isn't going to do anything but take your money.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dmkhnr
Your warranty isn't through the dealer, it's through Infiniti, and the dealer won't do any work without authorization on a case like this. I'll put money on it that infiniti is asking for pics, and they will ask for the motor back from the dealer for inspection. If infiniti finds aftermarket parts that caused the failure, they won't pay the dealer and the dealer will be out the money for the motor and labor.
I'd deal directly with infiniti from here on out, I'd also call my insurance co and start a claim. Your attorney isn't going to do anything but take your money.
what type of claim can i possibly make in this situation? what possible reason would have my problem covered?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
The only time I've seen cranks fail was when the harmonic dampener was unbalanced (not applicable to our motor, but just an example). I changed pulleys on my Mustang for 60,000 mile without any problem, (again, just an example), so perhaps could it have been an installation error?

How long was that pulley on for before the motor let go?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:47 PM
for about 6 months. say 8k miles. thats my whole point how is that an our engine can break with bolt ons. people do way more to these cars and have no issues.
ill see what they tell me exactly tomorrow i want the diagnosis and their report of what i personally did to damage this so they will not cover it.

i pretty much know im already assed out from 40k and a car. so im just going to try to at least get something for it now. as of now i have nothing else to lose.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The recommendation that the service manager told me was to never do anything to the motor because that will void the warranty. This is regarding any hardware that isn't from Nismo. It has to be anything from Nismo "S" and not "R". Any other parts from any other brand will void the warranty. Before I started modding I specifically asked what can I do to enhance the performance and that is what he recommended. When my engine went I couldn't reflash the ECU to total stock tune so when they checked, they could've raised the flag on the limiter and the +2* change that was made from my bullydog but they didn't. As for the Cats, we are safe if we changed them unless if you kill the sensors that are associated with them. I hope things work out for your benefit.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Holy crap... the Stillen pulley is now off of my short list of things to do.
Friggen yikes... that sucks.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:09 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
And what does Stillen have to say about this? Are you on the hook for the work already done?

Not sure what the actual damage is, but I would consider calling GTM or FP and finding out how much they charge to build an HR with a built bottom end. Then you have a nice solid foundation for any future work.

Last edited by terrycs; 06-27-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by terrycs
And what does Stillen have to say about this? Are you on the hook for the work already done?

Not sure what the actual damage is, but I would consider calling GTM or FP and finding out how much they charge to build an HR with a built bottom end. Then you have a nice solid foundation for any future work.
yess my friend for 14 K i think you paid somewhere around there for your work done and all they want is a stock replacement.

like i said first i need to know what the dealer bs story will be.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
Damn... I'm sorry to hear this madness Subie. I REALLY hope you get a good resolution outta this mass. Also, if you are really going to spend 14k to replace the motor, like terrycs said, try to source one from GTM or other pro engine builder. You might have better luck with them.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Call ins co and file a comprehensive claim, something happened when you were driving that caused catastrophic engine failure. You have no idea why, it could have been bad fuel, low oil, water in the intake??? The ins should look into it, they should press infiniti for warranty if its applicable.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:19 PM
called the insurance co... told them that something happened to to car will not work. pretty much what u just said. and they said that's not covered they would need to see paperwork from repair shop what caused damage and could proceed. since its none of those things it will not be covered.

so i went to the dealer in the morning..

the car was all taken apart it was a body with a whole pile or wires and parts.

the service guys showed what was wrong the camshaft spun causing the timing chain and everything else in the car to fail. the cause that they are saying is the pulley because it was on the camshaft and there's a chip on it, from where the key goes.

who knows if that broke or that's something that they broke to have something blame on it.

like i said in the beginning when i went on monday morning they said that it will be taken care of will have engine at the dealer in a week and about a week to put it in.

then they called me on friday and said will not be covered because of the pulley caused the damage.

when i went on sat morning the car was all apart. and my option was to fix the car for $13500 or to have to towed away which would cost me $4800 for putting the car back together and restocking fee for the engine. because suposidly they have the engie there already.

i best bet would of been just taking the car from there towing it home and then sending it off to gtm fi or wherever and have them hook it up for a couple grand more would of had a nice FI setup. but they would not release the car in pieces and would cost me 5k just to get it back to me without nothing else.

i have till monday morning to give them an answer so im going with the replacement and going back to stock. for 13k. sucks cuz they have me by the *****. but whats done is done.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I thought you had the underdrive pulley on the crank? I wasn't aware that there were pulleys for the cams (or are there?)

Perhaps you over-revved it, causing the cams to fail? I can't see how the failure was related to the pulley you had.

Didn't they originally say your crank failed?

Old 06-28-2009, 05:24 PM
so you had a supercahrger or turbo? What mods did you exactly have?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, too bad these are not timing systems supplied by the company I work at. I'd probably be doing the failure analysis on it..... I think these are Tsubaki's now.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
very sorry to here all of this Subey... if anyone needs some good luck now its you......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs