Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i asked the service manager if there was rust inside the heads, and he told me there wouldn't be any rust since it's an aluminum block. i also asked about the oil, to see if it was milky...cause i remember it being real clean, and the service manager told me the oil wouldn't be milky at all because the water came in through the top of the cylinder...insurance is also telling me they won't cover it...looks like i'm basically on my own for this...how should i go about getting it fixed? a loan? buy a new engine? or should i sue my dealership?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I have no insight on any of this uga... but best of luck.

Hope it all works out for ya.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sue them or suck it up and pay. I am not sure that you can get a loan for that (especially if you still owe money on your car). Do you have a credit card or line of credit that could cover that?

The other thing I would say, if they are not going to repair it under warranty tell them not to touch it, and that you have no desire to have them fix it (don't give them a dime). I am sure they will try to charge you close to the 5k that they did Suby. At that point I would tell them to keep the car there, and you are getting a lawyer to work it out. If you quickly get a lawyer involved, and file a suit, they will take a different approach. Whether they think they can win or not, fighting the lawsuit will cost more than giving you a motor. Nicely tell them that you have no desire to give them a dime, but you understand that you do owe them for the work done if it is not covered by warranty. Just tell them to keep the car while you lawyer works it out. You have to act quick, and make sure they understand what is going on. I know the situation stinks, but try to remain as calm as possible in dealing with them and I think they will take you more serious. Don't use the lawyer as a threat, just let them know that you disagree, you aren't giving them a dime, and at this point your lawyer is going to handle it.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also, when you talk to the dealer make sure they are aware of the MM act, and that when you take them to court that the onus is on them to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. Speculation won't cut it in court. With that said, they will probably not care, but just make sure that they know that is the grounds that you plan to fight them on.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:59 PM
anyone know of some good attorneys for this kind of stuff in atlanta? would i have to start looking for product liability attorneys?

Old 08-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off this sucks. Im mad for you. Now a couple of questions and ideas.

1. Does nismo make dual intake for the g35 or does 350z have dual intakes also? ANYONE ?

2. Even though this will be hard. Dont get pushy or threatening, (How do you react when you are threatened?) play the poor old guy that cant afford to pay for that large of a repair bill and you are in need of there help and warranty is the only fair way. Talk to the service manager, store manager, owner if possible.

3. Ask for a written hard copy of there diagnosis and the reason for non warranty signed by the service manager. Once its on paper they cant change there story for the supposed failure. If you have to fight later on. Find out if the refusal of warranty is coming from them or Nissan corp.

4. Get on the phone to Nissan corporate ASAP. Talk to as many people as you can and nicely work your way up the chain of command. If one person cant help you thank them for there time and ask to speak to there boss, and so on... You may have to spend hours on the phone but if it gets your motor warranteed it will be worth it. Be nice to everyone you speak to. You get more with honey then lemons or how ever that saying goes. Take down names and times you speak to everyone. Keep detailed notes.

5. Write a certified letter return reciept requested ASAP. Explianing the whole story and how much you believe in Nissan products and you are very dissappointed in how you are being treated by your dealership.

Try these before you start with all the legal talk.

Just some ideas. Good luck

Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
thanks for the good ideas

Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
anyone know of some good attorneys for this kind of stuff in atlanta? would i have to start looking for product liability attorneys?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=9QV&q=magnuson+moss+lawyers+atlanta+georgia&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
....uga
WTF dude i just read your situation im so fkin heated. that your dealing with the same shT that i was. man i cant even find a response now, sorry ill be back later when i cool off bro. good luck.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow Paul, sorry to hear about all this.
Sadly I can't really help you out but I'd say kid4now has a pretty good idea on what to do, if all else fails then go for legal action.
Wish you the best of luck and I hope to see you back behind the wheel of your G soon.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I still don't get how they can assume a spun bearing can only be caused by hydrolocking it. Water would be in ALL the cylinders.

I'm sure we can also show through engineering analysis that the entire filter(s) has to be completely submerged all the way to the pipe opening before enough water can be ingested through the intakes. Then you can show them that the inside of your car is dry, because if you drove through water that high, the floor of the passenger cabin would have become a pond.

Driving through a pond, yes ... but I have NEVER heard of a car hydrolocking because of rain. I used to drive around my mustang with a Holley carb and velocity stack in light rain no problem.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I just don't get this...I don't know anything about CAI's ( i am intake stock) So. water would have to get in the filters, past the mass air sensor, past the intake air temp sensor. PAST the throttle bodie, (s) and into the intake plenum right?? then wouldn't water or mist of water go to ALL cylinders? wouldn't the motor atleast miss, or stumple, or something because foreign matter is getting injested? I don't see how they, the dealer can prove this... Unless they spent all the time doctoring up his motor.... i'm pissed at this to,, Ugex,,, man i don't know what to think.....

Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you take a pic of the pistons/cyls/head? Was it the piston bearing or the rod bearing that spun? I'd also want to see the valve rod to see if any of them are bent.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM
^^ from my understanding, it's the rod bearing that spun and went through the oil pan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs