Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, i took kid4now's advice and i received the estimate of the repair and what happened to the car...then i proceeded to call infiniti consumer affairs on friday. talked to them for about an hr, they asked me all kinds of questions such as...how many nissans have you owned previous to this vehicle? were you the first owner of the car...etc

i hope something can be done, the rep i spoke to said she will give me a call back after they review it thoroughly on monday. i basically told them that i disagree with the diagnostic the dealership gave me because hydrolocking is not the only way a rod bearing can be spun off. another way is from low oil due to oil consumption...which infiniti engines are notorious for

i was very nice to everyone i spoke to including to the service people at the dealership. i'm hoping that i get some good news back from corporate on monday. i also told them that i do not remember hydrolocking my car, and if they would like, they could talk to the tow truck person who picked my car up right after it happened...there is no reason for me to tow my car to the interstate after it was hydrolocked if that's what the dealership is presuming

i also told them the oil is so clean, it looks like the car just got the oil changed. the tow truck person can also attest to that, or my third party mechanic who came out there when i was getting it towed. when the car was tilted on the tow truck bed, the rest of the engine oil was pouring out, and all the oil was clean.

i told them that if the dealership says it's hydrolock and i say it's not, that insurance won't cover it. i also told them, i'm not going to lie to my insurance company just because the dealership's diagnosis returns that. also, how can you be 100% sure that it was hydrolock after ONLY removing the oil pan?!? wouldn't you have to take apart the block...which i told them they can do ONLY if they don't charge me for the labor, which they will.

i'll keep you guys updated on what corporate says...i've heard horrible things about infiniti consumer affairs on google...especially the consumer affairs department up in canada. i still believe that infiniti makes great products, but at the same time...does anyone make a perfect engine? does something like this never happen to a company? does infiniti make such a high quality engine that when catastrophic engine failure occurs, it's DEFINITELY not their fault...i just have a hard time believing everything is perfect from any manufacturer...thanks for the help guys

Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad you're taking action and not letting the dealer push you around.

Good luck to you uga.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
^+1, props uga
....hang in there, don't let them get away with this.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 AM
thanks fellas. if worst comes to worst, i'll just have to buy a used vq motor and drop it in. that won't cost nearly as much as 13k haha. i still can't believe they want that much for the repair. will an engine assembly from a g35 awd fit the rwd? or better yet, will a g37 coupe engine fit okay on my tranny? what do you guys think...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
will an engine assembly from a g35 awd fit the rwd? or better yet, will a g37 coupe engine fit okay on my tranny? what do you guys think...
I don't know, but if you decide to have the dealer do the repairs, they won't go for swapping out for a different motor. It's gonna have to be an exact match for them to even be involved.
I ran into a similar issue when the V8 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee blew like 4K out of warranty. The dealer wouldn't bend at all and that repair cost me an arm and a leg. Same thing... went in not knowing what was wrong and by the time they did, I was so far in to repair costs that there was no getting out and going with other options.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I don't know, but if you decide to have the dealer do the repairs, they won't go for swapping out for a different motor. It's gonna have to be an exact match for them to even be involved.
I ran into a similar issue when the V8 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee blew like 4K out of warranty. The dealer wouldn't bend at all and that repair cost me an arm and a leg. Same thing... went in not knowing what was wrong and by the time they did, I was so far in to repair costs that there was no getting out and going with other options.
i'll probably end up going with a different place to do my repairs...i just can't see how it will come out to $13k in repairs...i've found websites with engines for around 2500-3500 shipped...

another note, i got a call back from infiniti consumer affairs. it seems like they are siding with the dealer, the lady told me i should try calling me insurance company. they also told me, they were still reviewing it and would give me a call back wednesday...

Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i asked the service manager if there was rust inside the heads, and he told me there wouldn't be any rust since it's an aluminum block. i also asked about the oil, to see if it was milky...cause i remember it being real clean, and the service manager told me the oil wouldn't be milky at all because the water came in through the top of the cylinder...insurance is also telling me they won't cover it...looks like i'm basically on my own for this...how should i go about getting it fixed? a loan? buy a new engine? or should i sue my dealership?
You should fight it, with an attorney. Let's say atty fees are a grand? Still better than $12k.

You'd need expert testimony from mechanics who have experience with hydrolocked engines, you'll need pics of the damage, testimony from the tow truck drive that it wasn't raining / car wasn't sitting in a puddle, or whatever... Hopefully the dealer will get scared enough that they'll cave partway through.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 PM
i'm not sure, i think the atty idea sounds great...but would probably end up being a complete pita. i'm about to start my final semester next monday and i would like to get my car situation sorted out beforehand.

i've pretty much come to a conclusion that this is my fault for taking the car to the dealership with the injen cai installed on the car even though my car gave out in perfect weather. i could sue them and all that stuff...but it just isn't worth my time. i would much rather pay around 4k to fix this independently.

i think they want around $290 for taking my oil pan off in order to inspect the bottom end. I'll just pay them 290, and say another 150 for towing fees to my friend's shop. and anywhere from 2600-3800 on a used vq35hr. that's not so bad right? i have some family friends who have a lift/cherr picker who will do the swap for no charged labor. probably another 200 for rental car fees for a few days. back to school

Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I guess you have to weigh the costs/benefits for yourself. If you can afford to be without the car for the time it takes to get it sorted out, then good. In your case, it sounds like you can't (which is about 99% of all owners), so in that sense it sucks.

Maybe find an attorney, pay your out of pocket costs, then sue them to reimburse those costs? That may be an option.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i'm not sure, i think the atty idea sounds great...but would probably end up being a complete pita. i'm about to start my final semester next monday and i would like to get my car situation sorted out beforehand.

i've pretty much come to a conclusion that this is my fault for taking the car to the dealership with the injen cai installed on the car even though my car gave out in perfect weather. i could sue them and all that stuff...but it just isn't worth my time. i would much rather pay around 4k to fix this independently.

i think they want around $290 for taking my oil pan off in order to inspect the bottom end. I'll just pay them 290, and say another 150 for towing fees to my friend's shop. and anywhere from 2600-3800 on a used vq35hr. that's not so bad right? i have some family friends who have a lift/cherr picker who will do the swap for no charged labor. probably another 200 for rental car fees for a few days. back to school
dude sorry to hear that.
still 5 K is 5 K.
i mean wtf.
dude all the stories people are telling your for lawyer thats been tried. even with you calling the consumer affairs i mean ya everyone want to try but this sucks.
as we can all tell infiniti does not give a crap about us. at least for 5k your gonna have a fixed car. and they just wanted that much from me to just to give me back a broken one.
either way what you decide to do ive been there man. good luck keep us posted.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

While you are doing your math, you may want to also add in what the loss of value on your investment may be once your car is toting around a used motor.
I know the attny is a PITA, but in the end, it may in fact be your best option.

Good luck which ever way you decide

Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still mad over your issue. You see I'm just a pain in the *** to people or corporations when I feel I'm in the right. They want their lower level people to tell you know No! No! No! hoping you go away and many do. If you just go away that's what they want and in the end they probably will not give in. But if they see you are willing to fight and not give in the chance of getting in touch with someone higher up that does care are greatly improved. Once you get through to the higher up people they will hopefully help. They just use the lower level people as a barrier so they dont have to dish out the money and use the excuse " oh this is the first I have heard of your problem let me look into it" .. Im not telling what to do im telling you what I would do. I dont give in easily .

Have you asked for and received a written diagnostic report for the reason for the failure and refusal of warranty work? If they said they don't give it in writting have you asked/told the service manager you will be quoting him that they don't due that in writing if you have to take the next step. Same thing for the person you spoke to from cooperate. If she does tell you No on Wed. ask her who made that decision and ask how to get in touch with that person and what is there full name. Get everything in writing and document times and what they said and let them know you will be quoting them if you have to in the future. What does all this do ? Really nothing except hope to get in touch with the one person who has the authority to authorize the repair. Don't give up or go away. Thats what they want. Whats the worst that could happen you wasted some time? Whats the best that could happen, you get your car fixed? Once again this is me rambling on.

Good luck,
Brad

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM
^^ they will not and do not give out that information.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
If you sue them, they have to provide documentation when it goes to discovery.
If they don't they just kissed their case goodbye.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
ya i dont know the legal process. maybe it differs from state to state. but when my lawyer requested that and they refused to provided he said the same thing. thats its pretty much a win for me because they did not want to provide files or whatever its called.

but then some law or whatever protects them from doing that also, and they could of or would need to provide that to the jury or whoever in court im guessing, but not to you or your lawyer.
once again i dont know anything but ive tried and got nowhere. i diddnt go as far as in the court room, so i dont know the process or w.e.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs