Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn. this whole thread is scary.

and just when i'm considering to buy a new G.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
two cars outta our whole community of v36 sedans. we are about to hit our 3rd year so that seems to be not so bad.

im worried about being a third tho

Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 PM
If it does end up being because of the rain, then the insurance should cover the repairs if the dealer does not.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by link

Why? The first was caused by a faulty aftermarket part, and the second is yet to be determined (although most likely, 99.9%, not due to the aftermarket intake).

So, it's 1 motor out of how many tens of thousands (if not over 100,000)?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by link

If that scares you buy something else what you think is more reliable.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^+1 seems like link does not really fancy the G35's considering some of your other posts as well, you should seriously look around and then decide on what you really want rather than finding reasons for not buying a certain car that you think you like...

Old 07-30-2009, 12:16 AM
wow...me working in the auto repair industry. we have something called the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

in order for you warranty to be void they have to prove thats what caused it suby...sorry to hear what happened. i would of probably been a cheap *** and fought it lol

Last edited by NationsMostWanted; 07-30-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 AM
okay so i get a call this morning, 2 weeks and 1 day after the incident happened...the service manager calls me with horrible news. the bill is $12,960....they will not cover it under warranty...and here is his explanation.

the 5th cylinder failed to what we believe to pressure changes from the aftermarket intake ingesting water...

what do you guys know about the magnuson-moss warrant act? is it true they have to prove without a reasonable doubt that the aftermarket product caused the problem...because it sounds to me they're just saying, it "could" have been the intake...anyways, i'm thinking what my next step should be

i don't want to call my insurance agent and LIE to her because my that's pretty much what my dealership wants me to do...they want me to ****ing lie about getting the car hydrolocked...i'm pretty pissed right now, or should i just put on my ***-kicking shoes and head up to the dealership? any input is appreciated

Old 08-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Swallow your pride, Pay the $500 deductible and have your insurance fix it.

The other way, you get a lawyer to fight them in court. Who knows how much more you spend.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:02 PM
^^ but will the insurance cover it if they know i have an aftermarket intake on the car?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm assuming that since the dealer wants you to lie to the insurance company, that they will not mention the intake to them.

When I had a claim with my maxima for a new transmission through an extended warranty, the dealer went ahead and removed all my aftermarket parts including the y pipe to make sure that the claim was not denied.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Was it raining when the motor failed? Your OP didn't specify...

You'd really have to have the entire front of the car submerged in order to even have a chance of HL.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
okay so i get a call this morning, 2 weeks and 1 day after the incident happened...the service manager calls me with horrible news. the bill is $12,960....they will not cover it under warranty...and here is his explanation.

the 5th cylinder failed to what we believe to pressure changes from the aftermarket intake ingesting water...

what do you guys know about the magnuson-moss warrant act? is it true they have to prove without a reasonable doubt that the aftermarket product caused the problem...because it sounds to me they're just saying, it "could" have been the intake...anyways, i'm thinking what my next step should be

i don't want to call my insurance agent and LIE to her because my that's pretty much what my dealership wants me to do...they want me to ****ing lie about getting the car hydrolocked...i'm pretty pissed right now, or should i just put on my ***-kicking shoes and head up to the dealership? any input is appreciated
I doubt that it would just be cylinder 5 if that was the issue.
There would also be water in your oil making it milky.
He is trying to run a game on you since the car is already apart

Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
^ I agree 100%

It wouldn't surprise me if dealers are getting a hard time from Infiniti these days
after all the Revup oil issues

Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you hydro-locked your engine, it would be the entire engine, not just one bearing that failed. Water typically goes everywhere (fluids do that) versus a broken part that usually only affect one area. Also, if you did not ingest a large amount of water at the time of failure there is no way. My brother's Integra type-R hydrolocked with a cold air intake, and the entire engine was pretty much damaged.

I would without a doubt get a lawyer and fight it. Based on the MM act you have a pretty good case from the sounds of it. It will be a pain, and it will take forever.... Just be prepared to fight.

I will also add that this is the reason I am not a fan of CAI. I have seen first hand what can happen (although my bro was kind of dumb about it). I have personally known 3 people to hydrolock their engines, and it just is not worth the extra few HP to worry about it. I also think, if it was not already clear, that it is best to tow your car home and remove any mods other than an exhaust. If there is major engine failure it is too easy for the dealer to blame it on a CAI, pulley, cats (although cats would be a reach), or tune.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs