Catastrophic Engine Failure?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catastrophic Engine Failure?!

I have an '08 G35xS that turned 1-year old on August 1st, 2009. With a little over 43,000 KM's the car was doing great, however right now it is at the dealership up on the lift with the engine as well as about 15 other parts out that ALL need to be replaced!! It's already been there for about 2 weeks and they say it will be another 2-4 weeks as they need to wait for parts to arrive from Vancouver and Japan. Apparently there is a hole in my long block (that isn't supposed to be there) the size of a golf ball! I've been told this is a warranty issue and it will be fixed. I've been told I'm getting a new engine and several other parts that were damaged. However my concern is that my faith in the Infiniti name is not what it used to be and more specifically my faith in my car is totally gone.

I'm getting great service from the dealer (Oakville Infiniti) and they gave me their '09 G37X service loaner but my issue is that a $55K luxury sports car shouldn't have this trouble, let alone so early. I've mailed a formal letter to Infiniti/Nissan Canada essentially asking for a new car. Perhaps through warranty they could credit me the difference in value between my car and a brand new one. I have no engine modifications and I am an average-type Infiniti driver

Has anyone heard of this issue before? My fear is that I may be back at the dealership to fix related-issues again and again. But (more specifically) back in PAST my warranty period. Any recommendations as to other steps I should take?

Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
You will most likely not get a new car, but you can argue for a complimentary extended warranty for your issues. Be stern and argue politely.

Out of the 100 of thousands of motors out there, there's bound to be a few bad.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:55 PM
hmmm thats interesting to see this all happening recently.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Catatrosphic Engine Failure

Originally Posted by NationsMostWanted
hmmm thats interesting to see this all happening recently.
Do you mean that you've seen this same issue recently?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by bailey24
Do you mean that you've seen this same issue recently?
Do a search. I think two members this year have had their engines replaced (out of warranty too because of minor mods). At least they are replacing it under warranty.

I'd say if you get it back and don't have any issues over the next year, it should be good as new. Kind of hard to demand a new car when you have 44k km on the ODO.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
......it is at the dealership up on the lift with the engine as well as about 15 other parts out that ALL need to be replaced!! ....... Apparently there is a hole in my long block (that isn't supposed to be there) the size of a golf ball! .........
Sorry to hear your troubles....
That sounds like a strange one.

Is there any more info besides a hole in the block?
Was it internal failure that punched the block?

Old 09-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Sorry to hear your troubles....
That sounds like a strange one.

Is there any more info besides a hole in the block?
Was it internal failure that punched the block?
Gotta have thrown a rod, no? I can't see anything else making a "hole" in the block, especially when he's stock

Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Catastrophic engine failure

With the car being stock the service manager told me it would all be covered under warranty and that they've never seen this before (one of my reasons for posting)

From what they told me, it sounded like one of the pistons became loose and jammed itself in the interior of the long block (while i was doing 120 KM/hr) and as a result a bearing/rod shot out the side of the block and on it's journey out ripped up the rest of my car. While it was happening there was a lot of rattling down there so there must have been more than just one bearing

I thought this was a similar issue I read about in this forum with '05/'06 sedans, engine noise and faulty piston rings causing premature oil burn but with the amount of white smoke that came out the back of my car when this happened i would say that i wasn't short on any oil

I gotta admit it was sad to see my car up on the hydraulics with the hood open and nothing but an oversized-stabalizer bar (i assume to make sure the frame doesn't twist without an engine in it). My engine was sitting on a skid in the floor behind it with a few other "infinit" boxes (i assume parts that arrived, waiting for the engine block to come from Japan)

I hope this is a rare case...perhaps i should go out and play the lottery!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:08 AM
With the car being stock the service manager told me it would all be covered under warranty and that they've never seen this before (one of my reasons for posting)

From what they told me, it sounded like one of the pistons became loose and jammed itself in the interior of the long block (while i was doing 120 KM/hr) and as a result a bearing/rod shot out the side of the block and on it's journey out ripped up the rest of my car. While it was happening there was a lot of rattling down there so there must have been more than just one bearing

I thought this was a similar issue I read about in this forum with '05/'06 sedans, engine noise and faulty piston rings causing premature oil burn but with the amount of white smoke that came out the back of my car when this happened i would say that i wasn't short on any oil

I gotta admit it was sad to see my car up on the hydraulics with the hood open and nothing but an oversized-stabalizer bar (i assume to make sure the frame doesn't twist without an engine in it). My engine was sitting on a skid in the floor behind it with a few other "infinit" boxes (i assume parts that arrived, waiting for the engine block to come from Japan)

I hope this is a rare case...perhaps i should go out and play the lottery!
Sorry....thought my original post explained this....

i was driving on the freeway going 120 KM/hr heading home when without warning the car began to jerk....first very sligtly and the more frequently and aggressively. that was when the rattling started. Once the rattling disappeared so did the jerking (along with something from underneath my car). Thats when the ploom of white blinded everyone behind me and the car dash lights all lit up. when i pulled over the car would not turn over nor would the gps tell mw where i was...

...a sad day

Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the update.
That is an extremely rare occurrence.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
These engines are not built by computers (parts are machined by them), they are still assembled by humans. Humans are fallible as are unseen casting and forging flaws. You just were the unlucky one. From what you have posted, you are being treated well. As another has posted, ask to extend your drive train warranty. This is what car warranties are for.

Most people here are not old enough to remember the old Tryumph TR-3 sports cars. It wasn't "if" it would through a rod through the side of the block, but WHEN. 99% of them you see in someones yard have a big hole in the block.

Good luck,