V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

My morning at Fast Intentions ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

As far as the interior sound goes, it is heard up to about 4,000 rpm and then it drops somewhat. In my opinion, the "loudness" is subjective. For example, a lady friend was riding with me and she asked what the sound was that she was hearing. I asked her if she thought it was "loud" and she said somewhat. To me it is not loud, per say, but it is there and it is noticed. I drive with the windows up, generally.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
Anyone wanna buy my exhaust? I wanna go with the super shinny ones. hahaha
How much you willing to let it go? This exhaust is awesome!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Terry,

I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but do you find the Fast Intentions exhaust with Sebring mufflers to drone at all at any RPM? I have Stillen and am finding droning during casual around town driving, say 1500 to 2000 RPM. Any feedback would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I guess decribing DRONING would be the first step. I have never experienced true droning in this car with the FI exhaust using either muffler (magnaflow or sebring). To me, droning is when the interior of the car resonates to where it is difficult to hear your passengers talking to each other. I was in a car that resonated so much, it gave me a headache ... we're talking about vibrating body panels.

Droning is NOT the same as where peak noise occurs in the RPM range. With my exhaust, the peak noise was between 2000 and 3000 RPM which seems to be at a higher RPM range than yours.

However as I recall, I don't think there was much droning (by my definition) in the Stillen system either but Joey's car had Berks HFC on there as well, and I only drove it around for a few passses. It was louder, but not untolerable.

So .. in summary, I don't recall droning with either FI or Stillen exhaust.

Hopefully someone else that have tried out these configurations can chime in.

Originally Posted by garymtl
Terry,

I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but do you find the Fast Intentions exhaust with Sebring mufflers to drone at all at any RPM? I have Stillen and am finding droning during casual around town driving, say 1500 to 2000 RPM. Any feedback would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I recently had the FI exhaust installed on my G35S Sedan. Droning would be subjective much like one would define what is too loud. I do not find the system to be too loud and or droning. I can carry on a conversation and neither I nor the passenger is annoyed by the sound of the exhaust. Can we hear it? Yes, but it is not raspy, vibrating, buzzing, and or annoying. It is louder at lower RPM’s which I would expect, but when I get to around 3000 RPM, it is very muffled, you know it’s there, but barely. If you get on the car, you know it is there. I Have the Sebring mufflers.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 AM
By my definition droning is basically a resonance that seems be a low frequency. It is some what painful when the rpm and throttle level are just right. In this case the sound may be a little louder in the back seat. My 13 year old son seems to think so. Although he would kill me if I took the exhaust off.

Again it is very pronounced at mild throttle 1500 -200 RPM when transmission is in "Drive". If I manually shift I can stay away from lower RPM's and ease the noise.

So Terry, if this does not describe your situation(and keep in mind Stillen said this is not normal) then I may have to talk to Tony.

Does this make sense?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:15 PM

It does sound ( ) like a droning problem to me at 1500-2000 rpm. Even if I were to hold the RPM at where the peak noise occurs, I wouldn't consider it "some what painful".

I would offer to do some in car recordings for you to see if it helps, but my exhaust system isn't the same anymore (new mods). Post up the city you are in ... maybe someone nearby will have an FI exhaust you can listen to.

By my definition droning is basically a resonance that seems be a low frequency. It is some what painful when the rpm and throttle level are just right. In this case the sound may be a little louder in the back seat. My 13 year old son seems to think so. Although he would kill me if I took the exhaust off.

Again it is very pronounced at mild throttle 1500 -200 RPM when transmission is in "Drive". If I manually shift I can stay away from lower RPM's and ease the noise.

So Terry, if this does not describe your situation(and keep in mind Stillen said this is not normal) then I may have to talk to Tony.

Does this make sense?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Yes I saw those new mods. And to think I saw you as a little conservative. Holy cow those are serious mods. Good for you.

I'm in Montreal Canada. I don't believe anyone has one up here. I even have an .mp3 of the drone, but it's 380 KB which is louder than this forum allows.

Anyway, I'll figure it out and thank for your feedback.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I had a Stillen Gen2 on my 05 and it droned also. It didnt bother me until the last couple of months before I traded it in. Thats why I bought a FI this time around. Should have it here next week.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM

And to think I saw you as a little conservative.
If I weren't conservative, I'd go for 500 whp.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by terrycs
If I weren't conservative, I'd go for 500 whp.
Hah. Good point.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
terrycs - Loving the sound of the FI exhaust (and HFC)!!! NICE!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just wanted to know if the FI exhaust has a nice deep and mellow rumble at idle (similar to the G35 coupe)?

From what I've read and heard on youtube it seems to have a nice deep and averagly loud sound (much more noticeable than stock) but would like to make sure if I'll be able to hear the light rumbling when I'm at a traffic light.

I need to make sure of this because HFC's are sadly illegal in Dubai and they don't just let you off with a ticket over here.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:25 AM
In my opinion, the sound is a better mellow than the G35. Hear it at idle at a light? Maybe with the windows down and no traffic noise. Certainly on take off, through the gears, no problem. As I have previously posted, the sound is a good sound for the G.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:39 AM
ok so lets get some final dyno numbers in here with all of the mods. FI exhaust, HFC's, Injen Intake, and Technosquare reflash...what are the gains with that setup vs. stock?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My morning at Fast Intentions ...