V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

I just got my G35x, LOVE IT, but HATE XM, I need Sirius...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008 | 05:56 PM
|
I just got my G35x, LOVE IT, but HATE XM, I need Sirius...

Does anyone know of a way to get XM out of my car, i LOVE the car but hate that i cant get Howard, Bubba, And Shady45.
Are there any solutions to convert the radio from XM???

Thanks in Advance

Old 04-30-2008 | 06:10 PM
Check out this thread. If you scroll down a bit, I posted a mini DIY for cars with Nav. If you don't have Nav, then it's even easier.

Last edited by bfranks; 04-30-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2008 | 06:39 PM
Howard 100 and Howard 101 FTMFW!! Maybe hell will freeze over and the merger will be approved tomorrow and then we'll have a-la-carte pricing and selection so you won't have to worry about switching XM to Sirius??

Old 04-30-2008 | 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Yv12345vY
Howard 100 and Howard 101 FTMFW!! Maybe hell will freeze over and the merger will be approved tomorrow and then we'll have a-la-carte pricing and selection so you won't have to worry about switching XM to Sirius??
Ala-carte packages won't be available for almost a year after the merger is approved according to the time line both companies filed with the FCC and DOJ. Plus with the current price structure, I would expect Howard to be a Premium channel (like the NFL) which will cost extra on top of the ala-carte price

Old 04-30-2008 | 06:55 PM
Yeah but that's still so far off...

Old 04-30-2008 | 09:44 PM
|
I happen to me a dealer for Sirius, As my business is home audio/video/automation.... That being said i spoke to a bunch of poeple it will be along time before they are both able to be used under one system as the systems are completely differnt. like Dos and Mac....
Only the newer radios will be able to recieve both signals from what i am told.

I am gonna check out that thread right now.
thanks for the help!

Old 04-30-2008 | 09:54 PM
|
So, i got the car yesterday i have yet to drive it.... well i did put 2 miles on it coming back from the dealership.
What exactly is this XMtraffic? Do i need to suscrib to it? If i need traffic i can turn to a local station on AM and get waht i need. So does XMtraffic apply to the navi some how? Is there a fee for it?
ANy thing i should know about the navi/radio head unit? I am not able to drive it till sat as i am cramped with work. Sat i get to go for a 4 hr. drive to dirty jersey so i can play. =-)

Old 04-30-2008 | 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by lonald
I happen to me a dealer for Sirius, As my business is home audio/video/automation.... That being said i spoke to a bunch of poeple it will be along time before they are both able to be used under one system as the systems are completely differnt. like Dos and Mac....
Only the newer radios will be able to recieve both signals from what i am told.

I am gonna check out that thread right now.
thanks for the help!
That is correct. They use two different (incompatible) means of broadcasting their signals. So until new radios are designed that are able to receive both XM and Sirius signals, there only option is to dual broadcast stations. Which explains why the "Best of" packages are less then impressive. XM has severe bandwidth limitations, and Sirius would rather use it's extra bandwidth for new features like TV.

Overall I'm not that impressed with the new offerings. It's far from the "sign the deal, flip a switch, and get all the XM and Sirius channels" that some people seem to think it is.....

Old 04-30-2008 | 10:21 PM
So, i got the car yesterday i have yet to drive it.... well i did put 2 miles on it coming back from the dealership.
What exactly is this XMtraffic? Do i need to suscrib to it? If i need traffic i can turn to a local station on AM and get waht i need. So does XMtraffic apply to the navi some how? Is there a fee for it?
ANy thing i should know about the navi/radio head unit? I am not able to drive it till sat as i am cramped with work. Sat i get to go for a 4 hr. drive to dirty jersey so i can play. =-)
You should already have nav traffic activated. It's part of the free XM trial. Do you have a green "traffic" on your nav screen? You should also see green / orange / red lines along major freeways to indicate traffic flow. It's possible you live in an area that isn't covered. You can go here to check.

The only other heads up I can give you about the radio, is that the iPod interface is a little lacking. You should be able to search the forums and come up with a few different work arounds.

Other then that, it's a great car, so enjoy it. I love mine.

Old 04-30-2008 | 10:40 PM
|
Bfranks,
do you know who makes the part that you got from grubbs??

Old 04-30-2008 | 10:49 PM
It's a Nissan OEM part, but I don't recall who makes it. You can send an email to Grubbs to find out. The guy I spoke to was very helpful.

Old 05-01-2008 | 05:51 PM
I just ordered one. The guy you want to talk to is Buckley. He has sold lots of these tuners to 2008 Sedan owners.

Want to thank bfranks for being the "beta-tester" on this one!

Al

Old 05-01-2008 | 06:25 PM
XM Traffic gives you route flow information as well as events (accidents, road construction, etc) in real time provided your area updates things quickly or has xm traffic available.

it's 3.99 if you pay for it on top of an XM radio subscription or it's 9.99 by itself. I don't think it's worth 9.99, but for 3.99/mo over XM radio I decided to get it. I managed to get my second years worth of XM radio at $77/yr again, so the 3.99/mo isn't really that much money.

Old 05-01-2008 | 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by OldPhart
I just ordered one. The guy you want to talk to is Buckley. He has sold lots of these tuners to 2008 Sedan owners.

Want to thank bfranks for being the "beta-tester" on this one!

Al
Yeah, Buckley is the one I spoke to. He's a good guy to deal with. Is he still telling people they will lose their CD player? I had originally sent him the info on how to do it, but guess there was a little confusion on that point. You will lose the CD changer in the trunk, but the in dash player works fine. Who still uses CDs these days anyway

Old 05-01-2008 | 06:58 PM
Anyone want to volunteer to see if Sirius nav traffic works with our systems?

For what it's worth....the XM nav traffic WILL still work with the Sirius receiver if you decide to pay the $9.99 a month for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I just got my G35x, LOVE IT, but HATE XM, I need Sirius...