V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Dead battery - Anyone know how to put it in Neutral?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead battery - Anyone know how to put it in Neutral?

This morning strolling out to my car, I go up hit the little button next to my handle; some reason it didnt beep or let me in. So I took out my fob and hit the unlock, that didn't work either. So Then I had to do it the old fashion way, actually take out the key from the fob. Though getting into my car, it didn't start either.

I put the fob inside the key fob hole, yet still didn't start. So I'm assuming the batteries dead for some unknown reason. (Perhaps b/c i always leave on 'auto' and for another weird reason it doesn't always turn off the lights at night..)

Now the problem is, I need to put my car in reverse so I can push it out far enough to have someone come over and gimme a jump (I dont have a portable battery jump on me). Though I can't get the shifter to even budge, older cars you can just turn the key to 'acc' and shift away, yet on my 08 g35x I have no luck.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Will have to walk out to the garage to check, but there should be a little rectangular "hatch" towards the front of the shifter panel, on the left. Get that out, and stick an allen key or something small in there - that should let you disengage the shifter and move to N.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Will have to walk out to the garage to check, but there should be a little rectangular "hatch" towards the front of the shifter panel, on the left. Get that out, and stick an allen key or something small in there - that should let you disengage the shifter and move to N.
First, try the horn to make sure it's the car battery that is dead and not the i-key battery.

If it is the car battery, be careful when pulling off the release cover ... it's very easy to scratch the brushed finish if you slip. BTW ... a standard length allen wrench is not long enough.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Crud, you need an allen wrench to take off the cover?

I tried my horn, it doesn't work. I guess I'll have to play around with it, going to go look under my hood now.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
No ... you need something long and skinny to push into straight down into the hole once the cover is removed.

Unless you have some strong fingernails, my best solution to remove the cover itself was to CAREFULLY use a jewelers screwdriver.

BTW ... if you cannot get the release cover off, there is another way. It is possible to pull up the back of the shift handle trim and lifting it up. The front has tabs to hold it down so don't pull up on the front. You can then get to the rectangular white release button that way.

Originally Posted by stealw
Crud, you need an allen wrench to take off the cover?

I tried my horn, it doesn't work. I guess I'll have to play around with it, going to go look under my hood now.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Not to be funny or anything, it might be a little ghetto but you can try borrowing several sets of jumper cables and hook them long enough to reach from a car behind you all the way to the front. Just becareful not to short the connectors with anything or with each other.

It might not get that juice you need with a such a long distant, but it should be able to power enough to get your car in neutral.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Or you could just buy a new battery, and put it in your garage and be all set to go?

Old 06-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Ya but he may not need a new battery, just a jump to get the alternator to do the charging...

Old 06-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just say, call roadside... doesnt it come with the car?

Old 06-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Had someone bring their battery jumper kit and jumped me. All fixed.

I woulda considered deezflip's, but its raining outside and I dont want to get electrocuted.

But still a nuisance to not be able to get it into neutral, easier than described above. Oh well. I blame this on my car computer, perhaps it's screwed up. Often times the lights dont turn off when I click lock on my fob (when I leave my lights on auto). Perhaps may get it looked at.

Thanks for help anyways.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:35 PM
^^ yah but most of the time, once you have a dead battery, its always better to replace it.

Because the next time you stop your car and forget to off your light or something, even for a short while, your again need to get a jump start. I would usually prefer to swap out a dead battery then take the chance of getting stuck again in a short period of time.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Any type of dead battery in Arizona we replace automatically-most last about 18-24 months. My old Saturn I had for 10 years, I think I only bought 1 battery and kept getting free replacements because they'd go dead within 24 months. When it's 110 degrees out (43 Celsius for the UAE people) you don't want to be stuck in the middle of heat trying to get a jump.

Replace the battery.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Deezflip
Not to be funny or anything, it might be a little ghetto but you can try borrowing several sets of jumper cables and hook them long enough to reach from a car behind you all the way to the front.
The ghetto way is to get another battery, flip it upside down and touch the terminals to your dead battery terminals (don't mismatch them!) and start it up. A little crazy, but it works.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Dead Battery

Recently, with the car off, I wanted to roll up the windows. I had to push the auto ignition button twice (to "on") in order to power the windows with the car off. In bright daylight I then locked the car and walked away not realizing the ignition was still in the "on" position (with the lcd displays lit, the stereo drawing current,etc). After 2 hr the battery was totally dead and I could not even unlock the doors. Something for everyone to be aware of.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by princealyy
^ Ya but he may not need a new battery, just a jump to get the alternator to do the charging...
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but an alternator does not charge does it? It use to be there was a device called a generator in vehicles and that might charge. My assumption was that the alternator did not charge a dead battery....seriously if I'm wrong let me know.....

In AZ when batterys die they are dead and usually stay that way !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dead battery - Anyone know how to put it in Neutral?