V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

I have a couple of questions about the new G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a couple of questions about the new G

I haven't bought one. But I'm really considering it. I went on a 500 mile roadtrip to the beach a month ago. I didn't want to drive my car or the gf's, so we rented a car. They said I could choose between a Dodge Caliber, or 09 G37 sedan. Now the G37 was a base model, but I have good things to say. It was smooth on the highway at 90, handled pretty well and I was plenty happy with it. It didn't have navi or the auto telescoping wheel, but I've seen G37's I can afford with all that. My questions are about the car in general. Is there a height difference between the base model and the S? I want to get the 19inch coupe rims, I just want to confirm what I've read...just slap the wheels on the BASE model or S and it's all good. Half way it needs a drop, half say it doesn't. Also my brother has an 05 sedan. If he puts the key fob in the trunk and closes it, the trunk opens back up and beeps. How come the G37 doesn't do that? And my last question, can any of you give me any reasons why I should not buy this car, mechanical issues you've had, etc?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kgh31386
I haven't bought one. But I'm really considering it. I went on a 500 mile roadtrip to the beach a month ago. I didn't want to drive my car or the gf's, so we rented a car. They said I could choose between a Dodge Caliber, or 09 G37 sedan. Now the G37 was a base model, but I have good things to say. It was smooth on the highway at 90, handled pretty well and I was plenty happy with it. It didn't have navi or the auto telescoping wheel, but I've seen G37's I can afford with all that. My questions are about the car in general. Is there a height difference between the base model and the S? I want to get the 19inch coupe rims, I just want to confirm what I've read...just slap the wheels on the BASE model or S and it's all good. Half way it needs a drop, half say it doesn't. Also my brother has an 05 sedan. If he puts the key fob in the trunk and closes it, the trunk opens back up and beeps. How come the G37 doesn't do that? And my last question, can any of you give me any reasons why I should not buy this car, mechanical issues you've had, etc?
GET IT!!

I really don't think there's any height different base vs S, but there is a big one RWD vs AWD. The coupe wheels will "slap" right on, I put mine on today. They'll fit base (journey) or S no problem. And you don't NEED a drop, but some people say it looks better with a drop. When I put my key in the trunk it pops open, maybe you need to just try it again. Absolutely get premium package, most people will say get sports package. Sometimes I regret not getting navi, that's up to you.

This is undropped - most people will tell me I need one. And if you're getting an '09 you'll have those gorgeous Akebono brakes too

Old 05-30-2009, 02:53 AM
that does look good undropped. how many fingers can you fit between the tire and fender?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that does look good undropped. how many fingers can you fit between the tire and fender?
No clue.... haha

After I get my full detail this weekend I'm put up a new picture thread and I'll get better pictures of the height. I'll try and measure it for you and put that in there

Old 05-30-2009, 02:59 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I would say to absolutely spend the money to get the sport package. For 2100.00 retail, you get:
VLSD
Seats
Body mods
aluminum pedals (you can't do the dead pedal should you decide later unless you change all the carpeting)
Paddles (if you go AT trans)
Upgraded Akebono brakes
Suspension

The brakes alone, if you were to add them later, cost 1500 for the F/R.

You don't get the upgraded brakes unless you get the sport package on the Journey or unless you go Sport 6MT. A base model G will not allow you get options.

And, IMO, a drop is necessary with the coupe rims:

Old 05-30-2009, 03:09 AM
just by looking at a new G sedan...how can I tell if it has the sports package? Would you suggest an 07, or should I get an 08?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:13 AM
just by looking at a new G sedan...how can I tell if it has the sports package? Would you suggest an 07, or should I get an 08?
S badge on trunk lid
Different side skirts
Different front bumper
Paddles on an AT
Aluminum pedals
Larger brakes

Old 05-30-2009, 03:25 AM
oooh see i knew the S was the sports and stuff. but i didn't know if the sports package was just a package you could add to say a journey without having an S on it. anyway these are the kinds I'm looking at. I really want a certified one. 72 month 100k miles warranty. Anything against an 07? Plus my BIG BIG question is, can you REALLY tell the difference in the suspension between base model and S? Backroads and highways is all I drive on, so handling is a must. I know that 30-40k miles is not a lot, but would all of you buy a used G35 or G37 with 30-40k miles without thinking twice about it??
I think I would because they're certified and all that jazz.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Last edited by kgh31386; 05-30-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:30 AM
oooh see i knew the S was the sports and stuff. but i didn't know if the sports package was just a package you could add to say a journey without having an S on it
You either:
1. Buy the 6MT, which automatically gets you the sports package.
2. Buy the Journey or an X, and add the sports package as an option.

Those are the only two ways. You can't add the sport package to the base model.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:48 AM
Because I've seen some G35's around with the base 17's on them I guess they are. Then some have the 18's I believe with an S on the back, but then some have the rims and no S on the back. I didn't know if the wheels made a difference or not as far as what package is on it

Old 05-30-2009, 03:52 AM
I doubt any cars with 17's on them have the sport package, but they may be "winter wheels" so you have to double check.

Sorry, the sport package does add the 18" wheels too. But, they are an easy "add-on" to a base model too, so you have to check for the other clues to be sure.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:58 AM
I found a couple of the G35s here in town actually at Infiniti. They're both 2008 and have the "s" on them. So that gives it away haha, plus I saw the pedals in the pictures. Ones Silver and $28,900 with 22k miles. And the other is White and $31,000 with 12k miles. The white one has Navigation and all that fun stuff too. Where would you begin an offer on it? I was thinking $28,000 OTD. Those are the two colors I'd want too . What's the handling like compared to the base? I haven't searched yet, but just curious in this thread.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Much better, but easily improved upon also. Trust me, get the sport package. You can easily sell the 18" rims to recoup some of the cost.

The 08 sport package retails for 1500. I sold my rims/tires with no tpms for 550. That being said, I paid 950 for my sport package. Paying 950 for the features I got was a steal in my book

Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 AM
Although these are 2008, if I found an 07 with 35k miles...you think I'd have anything to worry about? Does the S sound any different? I didn't think it did, but just wondering. I worked at Nissan for 4 years, for the most part those cars were fine. But from time to time I'd see a new Maxima roll in on a truck broken down.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:07 AM
This is the one I'm looking at..according to the carfax it shows me...it was bought from Infiniti at auction....

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...5&cardist=6209

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ATD_W

What's it mean it was listed as a manufacturer vehicle? And why would it be a fleet vehicle?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I have a couple of questions about the new G