V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

HID fog... anyone with expierence? Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to try and do it here in a short bit; after dinner. They were supposed to send me two harnesses, one with a relay setup and the other with a direct wire. They sent me only the relay setup, which I didn't really want, so I'm either going to try and work around the relay to eliminate having to wire to the battery or something, we'll see.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sredish

True, but the point I was making was it could be a possibility for a 'driving' light which wouldn't be used in traffic anyways, more on those dark back roads late at night. What I'm wondering is how high the beam would be with a 6000k in there, like if your brights were on, would it be visibly more in the distance or about the same?
Yes, there is still a more noticable difference with the highbeams on with the 6000k fogs... I have 6000k headlights, and imagine your cut off, when the fogs turn on, your really don't "see" MUCH more, but def. signs on the road light up more, and when you turn on your high beams it shines even higher.

For an example, i like on the 3rd corner in my neighborhood, with the head lights on, i can see about 5 houses up the street, with the HID fogs on, i can see my stop sign a block in advance (but really doesn't light up my house), and if i turn on my high beams, i can see the woods past my house...

Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 PM
yea, understood there. The stock HIDs or stock location with 6000k work pretty damned good. I like having the amber fog but HATE not being able to turn them on w/o the full on headlamps on.

Anyways, got the 3000k bulbs in. The intakes are absolute cake to yank out in a matter of a few seconds. The install was very straightforward, biggest PITA is deciding what to do with the ballasts. Other than that, it's pretty plug in and go. I was sent the relay harness and not the simple direct harness, so I just used the relay, went off the battery and hooked it all up accordingly; still no splicing and it has one plug to pull off the stock headlamp plug to switch the relay.

So, here's some pics. For the record, it's hard taking pics at night directly at bright headlights.... did the best I could. Also, it was bright out when I started so I don't have any before shots. They are pretty damned bright and there's a definite increase in amber tint on the ground. Before, there was pretty much zero noticeable amount of light when on, the stock xenons would completely wash them out, but now, there's a definite presence of amber light. Haven't driven yet with them but we'll see; I'll give a report after a road test.

Attached Thumbnails HID fog... anyone with expierence? Help-foghid3.jpg   HID fog... anyone with expierence? Help-foghid9.jpg   HID fog... anyone with expierence? Help-foghid8.jpg  
Old 08-28-2008, 01:01 AM
^^^ Looks good. Im sure the pictures dont do them justice though.
My Mccullough 3000k should be here on friday.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Just wanted to add, driving around today, I turned them on some. It was clear and super sunny all day. I noticed on several occasions, when I'd get within 2 or 3 car lengths from the car in front of me, I could see the license plate shining amber and reflecting the amber back at me. I know for a fact this was not the case beforehand. So, if it's hitting the plate that bright from 40 to 60 feet back in pure bright daylight, that's some pretty hefty lighting.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 AM
Is there anything like this
oem or aftermarket available for the non sport bumper?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Any foreground shots sredish?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 AM
not at the moment, but I ca sure take some. you mean of the pattern on the ground?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by sredish
not at the moment, but I ca sure take some. you mean of the pattern on the ground?
Yes the light spread against the ground and maybe a wall shot from 20 or 30 feet away. Fogs on and fogs off.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Word. I'll do it but probably not very quickly. I'm leaving in about 30 min. to go to Austin for a business meeting. The meeting is at 6pm then I'm going to a hotel for the night. If I just happen to pull in front of a wall at some point, I'll be sure to snap a pic, otherwise, it'll be tomorrow night. I can maybe pop a light spread pic tonight tho and post it up while I have nothing else to do later tho.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sredish - See KP Technologies http://www.kptechnologies.com for a module to have ON/OFF fog control independent of the headlights or see my post on DRL set up for the fogs using a relay (Also from KP Tech)...https://g35driver.com/forums/tech-07...us-models.html

P.S. I see after I added this that you checked with Kevin at KP on the fog module for Gen II Gs...forgot that he hadn't tested the module for the 07-08 models (mine is a 2008 G35xS)...that is why he advised me on the set up I did (I wanted full time DRLs)...Per my post and setup - the fogs as DRLs are on when the car is running EXCEPT when you switch to parking or headlights - then the fogs as DRLs drop out AND the fog light switch re-assumes control...really, the exact operation of a DRL-required Canadian G35...

Last edited by klossfam; 09-05-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
okay so i didn't read every single post on this thread however I can give my personal opinion on the McCullough hid retrofit kit. When i had my prelude I bought a set of 5000's and let me tell you something, that was the best $300 I ever spent. The McCullough's were awesome. Quality was GREAT, fitment was nearly perfect. The bulbs were bright and clean, and installation was a breeze, 100% plug-in-play. For those of you debating which brand to get, I can assure you the McCullough is worth the extra $50. Remember that you get what you pay for.... so spend the extra cash because the McCoullghs will give u a great experience.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 PM
^^^^ +1
Im Running Those.
Perfect!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the leg work, Sredish, and a few others, on this matter, So Sredish, did you ever get to hook up your fogs, SEPERATE, from your headlights?? I think its ridiculous also, that we can't turn our fogs on seperatley... Also after reading this Whole thread no one ever mentioned that the fogs ARE adustable, somewhat for aim, its behind the houseing.... the heads are also btw,, but are harder to get to. anyway, since i aimed my fogs lower,, they are only slightly less pathetic.... regards...

Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Do we get a bulb out indicator when installing HID fog's? The place I am about to purchase from has a module that will trick the cars computer into not having the bulb out warning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID fog... anyone with expierence? Help