Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

how come TPMS light not coming on with no TPMS winter wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how come TPMS light not coming on with no TPMS winter wheel

I put on winter set last week (No TPMS.) Now I was expecting the (!) symbol to light up from what everyone was saying on the forum, but surprisingly after whole week of driving, it still has not come on.

Am I the only one with this prob? Should I consider myself lucky?

Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 PM
I asked the same thing when I put on my 20's
I was told, if the car doesn't pick up the signal when turned on the alarm will remain off

Old 11-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
it took almost a 50+ mile strait drive with my winters on before the system alerted me that I dont have tire pressure, and then the light stayed on for the remainder of the trip. each time I started the car, it wouldn't come on until I pass 40-50 miles without shutting the car off. It seems that it resets itself each time I shut the car off and then and only then would it pick it up after a good drive. Just my imput. anyone else?

Old 11-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah this is talked about a fair amount in other threads and my dealership confirmed it last winter when I changed to a winter wheel/tire package. W/O sensors in the wheels, the warning light is tripped. W/O the radio signal from the sensor the warning system thinks there is an issue and trips the warning. The system will reset itself after you restart the car but will trip anytime you drive more than 35-50 miles. There is no way to turn off the warning light either. You either have to get additional sensors and install them or live with the light.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about putting the TPS on the spare tire in the trunk? Will that fool the system into thinking there is a TPS?

Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 PM
I have an 06 and my warning light comes on right away.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by nm3th
I have an 06 and my warning light comes on right away.
Please go check your pressure ASAP

Old 11-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by g-adabout
it took almost a 50+ mile strait drive with my winters on before the system alerted me that I dont have tire pressure, and then the light stayed on for the remainder of the trip. each time I started the car, it wouldn't come on until I pass 40-50 miles without shutting the car off. It seems that it resets itself each time I shut the car off and then and only then would it pick it up after a good drive. Just my imput. anyone else?
yup... that's working as designed.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by CardsDG6MT
You either have to get additional sensors and install them or live with the light.
That also means that you have to get them reporgrammed everytime you switch wheels. If I am correct, the car can only learn from 1 set of sensors at a time.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Last year I had one tire dip below the minimum and set off the TPMS chime and light the day before I put on my winter setup (no sensors).
The light stayed on steady for the entire winter (when the car was running, of course) and went out immediately when I put my summer setup back on.

This year I put my snows on about a week ago while all pressures were normal, and the system hasn't even blinked since the sensors came off.

I have a sensor on my full size spare, but I don't think it monitors the spare - I believe you can only initialize 4 sensors to the car at a time.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by SilverII
Please go check your pressure ASAP
Sorry about that, I should've been more clear. I have sf-challenges with no tpms.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by SilverII
That also means that you have to get them reporgrammed everytime you switch wheels. If I am correct, the car can only learn from 1 set of sensors at a time.
True, diff sensors have to programmed just as do key blanks/keyless remotes/homelinks etc etc. The car would need to be made to recognize the new wheel sensors.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Brian
So right now, I'm running winter rims/tires. But does the car need to be programmed to recognize the same set of 4 sensors when I put my summer tires/rims back on in the Spring? It's the same set I had on this past Summer. What'll the dealer charge me for reprogramming them?

Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AthensBlueG
So right now, I'm running winter rims/tires. But does the car need to be programmed to recognize the same set of 4 sensors when I put my summer tires/rims back on in the Spring? It's the same set I had on this past Summer. What'll the dealer charge me for reprogramming them?
If you put the same sensors back on, it should recognize them right away. You won't need to do anything.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
If you put the same sensors back on, it should recognize them right away. You won't need to do anything.
Are you sure? The service manual doesnt say that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how come TPMS light not coming on with no TPMS winter wheel