Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tire Question

Can you put a 275 tire on an 8.5" wheel? I know technically you are not supposed to, but I was wondering if anyone has done it/if there are negative effects. 275's are supposed to go on 9" or wider. Is it a big deal?

'03.5 Brilliant Silver AT Sedan
Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter
Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals
Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5 two-way alarm

Old 01-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tire Question

I think you know the answer. The tire manufacturers recommend against it. They recommend 9" through 11", with the proper width being 9.5". I know some have done it, and I got an argument from a guy when I advised him not to put a 275 on an 8" rim. 8.5" is so close to 9", but it's not 9". It probably will work, but I believe you might have a liability issue. If, god forbid, something does happen (the bead popping off the rim) you're on your own. If it were me, I wouldn't do it. Why not put on a 255/45? That would fit fine.

Lou

Old 01-16-2004, 07:09 PM

That's what I figured. I just really wanted the 275. But thanks. I wasn't positive if those were strict guidlines or not.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:07 PM

See above where I mentioned I got into an argument with a guy about a 275 on an 8" rim. Can you guess who it was? Don't for a second believe what he says. Remember it's a liability issue. A tire company executive would never say such a thing. I called a Dunlop Tire execuative and got no such answer. I also spoke to my Local Discount Tire Outlet. The manager of that store said he would refuse to install such a combo.

But, you tell me, if you could go ***** nilly and install any tire on any wheel, why print specificattion charts that are very specific on rim recommendations. Wouldn't make much sense would it?

Lou

Old 01-17-2004, 09:29 AM

Well, as you suggested, I went to freshalloy, tire section. I checked all the posts and found two on this subject, one went back to 9/22/03. The links appear below:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Remember, I did this at your suggestion. So, Mr. Blug35c, why don't you just you just end this foolishness? You're not an SEA engineer, as you previously stated, and I don't know your agenda, but bad advice is so much worse than no advice at all. Luke at Tire Rack does not recommend the 275 tire on either an 8" or 8.5" rim.

Lou

Old 01-17-2004, 08:35 PM

Whatever my credentials are, there certainly better than yours. I have never made a statement that wasn't true. You talked about Tire Rack saying it was OK, when in fact they advise against what you are advocating. All I have ever done, and all I wanted to do was to share the knowledge I have gained over 50 years of driving, and watching the tire industry grow. I am just interested in preventing someone from making a mistake that could prove fatal. Nothing more, nothing less. All my advice was based on tire industry recommendations. I have done much reading an the subject. All your "evidence' was based on two, that's 2, people who have done something that is not recommended by anyone. You have fought me on my350z, and got blown away by other forum members, and now here you site faulty evidence. And it is A SAFETY ISSUE. If it wasn't, it would be recommended. Severe tire bludge means that the tire is trying to push itself off the rim it's mounted on. Chances are it wont happen, but it could. Do you want to Take that chance?

Lou

Old 01-17-2004, 08:45 PM

I'm sure there is no major difference here when comparing performance radials to larger tires used on a 4x4 (As far as mounting guidlines go).

A tire with a tread width of 275 is approximately 10.8" wide.

I had the following combinations of tires and wheels on various 4x4's (all with 12" wide wheels) and never had a problem with tires "popping off".

38x15x15
40x17x15
44x19.5x15

Basically I had a 19.5" wide tire mounted to a 12" wide wheel. They did suck in quite far, but I have never heard such jibberish about tires popping off of the rim. Maybe if you have your tires set to a very low pressure while you are offroading your G, there is a SLIGHT chance this might happen.

On a side note, it may look a little strange on a low profile application.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:18 PM

I'm really not going on helping you explain your ignorance any longer. There is so much difference between the side wall height on a 4X4 or any truck than a low profile, high performance stiff walled tire. On my truck, for example, I have 225s on a 7" rim. No problem. The side wall height is 6.35". Lots of room for Side wall flex here. On my 275/40s, the side wall height is 4.35", and on a 19" wheel it would be 3.85". Notice something here. The lower the side wall height, in my case 2", the less tolerance for mis matched rim widths. We've had this discussion before, and I'd rather not do it again. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just giving them the facts. Facts, that you ignore, or perhaps just don't understand.

To address your statements:

Tire Rack certainly does advise against what you propose. "It doesn't fit" certainly is a strong statement.

You have heard the term Severe Tire Buldge from others, and that's what the case would be.

The rim widths specified in a tire manufacturers specifications, are not optimal, but a safe range. Specifications do list one optimal size in addition to the range.

I told you what my experiance is, read my post. What's yours?

Yes you did get blown away from other forums by people without the patience I have.

Pratical experience is not gained through the practice of unsafe acts.

Lou

Old 01-18-2004, 12:27 PM

Jeez. Talk about hijacking a thread. Chill out guys. I am going to call Goodyear and ask them. I am sure they will say not to do it, but I thought I'd give it a shot.