Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Winter tires and dry traction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter tires and dry traction?

[Dumb] question for you guys who have experience with winter tires on the G - how would you rate the dry traction? There's a lot of vague information, obviously winter tires are better for snow, summer tires are bad in cold temperatures regardless of snow or rain, but I haven't been able to find much on dry traction performance (used to be an all-season tire guy before the G).

I'm really wondering if winter tires are worth it though, when I can use the beater (aka the woman's car, hahaha) during snow storms. Here's a perfect example, in sub-50 degree temperatures, say I turn right (from a stop) onto a major road and give it 40% throttle, with the stock summer tires on, my a$$ will slide out. Will winter tires do anything to resolve this?

Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience has been that winter tires give you worse dry traction in winter than summer tires in summer. I think the trade-off is worth it though....I don't drive aggressively in the winter anyway....

Last edited by kvangil; 11-13-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by kvangil
My experience has been that winter tires give you worse dry traction in winter than summer tires in summer. I think the trade-off is worth it though....I don't drive aggressively in the winter anyway....
I guess my million dollar question is, are they better than summer tires in winter? In terms of dry traction and lateral stability at least (aka a$$ sliding out). I just don't know if I can justify spending $900 for tires that only work the 3, maybe 4 times I'll see snow this year. Although maybe they would be worth it for cold rain. I just a have feeling that there's really nothing we can do about the sideways instability of this car - it drives me crazy.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aero
I guess my million dollar question is, are they better than summer tires in winter? In terms of dry traction and lateral stability at least (aka a$$ sliding out). I just don't know if I can justify spending $900 for tires that only work the 3, maybe 4 times I'll see snow this year. Although maybe they would be worth it for cold rain. I just a have feeling that there's really nothing we can do about the sideways instability of this car - it drives me crazy.
If the temps are below 40, winter tires give better traction than summer tires in dry weather. Summer tires turn into bricks when the temperature gets too low, and its very easy to spin them or slide laterally. The narrower widths also help out in the rain significantly.

You have to think about it this way too, they may cost $900, but if you use them for ~3 months or 3-4000 miles every year, and they last 3 years or 10-12000 miles, that is around how long a set of summer tires last already, so the added price is a wash. It just costs more initial investment, but in the end the cost is nearly the same as running summer tires all year round. It also saves significant wear and tear on your summer wheels and gives you a better ride in the winter if you are using 17's.

Also, if the winter tires save you from 1 potential accident in the snow in the 3 years of use, they have more than paid for themselves, just search the forums for how many people crash their cars in the snow with summer tires on. I'm sure they wish they could look back and and do things correctly to start with

Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Summer tires + SC + winter = deathwish.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
If the temps are below 40, winter tires give better traction than summer tires in dry weather.
Thanks! I was just afraid that they're useless in dry weather, all of the advertisements mention great wet performance, but they mysteriously leave out anything about dry performance.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Summer tires + SC + winter = deathwish.
Hahaha. I know, I learned my lesson there before I even had the SC! I curbed it last year in the rain, going a whopping 35 mph.

EDIT: If I don't get winter tires, the beast is staying parked during questionable weather.

Last edited by aero; 11-13-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
[Dumb] question for you guys who have experience with winter tires on the G - how would you rate the dry traction? There's a lot of vague information, obviously winter tires are better for snow, summer tires are bad in cold temperatures regardless of snow or rain, but I haven't been able to find much on dry traction performance (used to be an all-season tire guy before the G).
The dry-pavement performance of your chosen winter rubber depends a lot on the tire compound used.

I had a set of "ice" tires (I forget the brand/model) that were great in the white but really squirmy on the black. I switched to "sport" winters and lost a fair bit of snow traction (still much better than all-seasons though) and gained back a lot of the dry-pavement performance.

Your driving style should dictate your needs, in addition to the climate contitions you intend to endure. Talk to different tire vendors, and buy from the one that gives you a good deal but who also takes the time to match your needs to their product.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't want to go with dedicated snow rims/tires, you could simply replace your summer tires with all-seasons and drive the "beater" when there's really any snow.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by 350Zed
Talk to different tire vendors, and buy from the one that gives you a good deal but who also takes the time to match your needs to their product.
Originally Posted by kvangil
If you don't want to go with dedicated snow rims/tires, you could simply replace your summer tires with all-seasons and drive the "beater" when there's really any snow.
I've got the sport-tuned suspension package (OEM 19's), so I don't have much wiggle room, excluding jury-rigging tires that don't technically fit or buying a rim/tire package (which I really don't want to do). Looks like the only option I'm left with is a set of Blizzak LM-25s. Talked to a rep at tire rack, he and my buddy at Infiniti both said they're great tires. I'm just skeptical though, maybe I have to try them out and then I'll put my foot in my mouth.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

I've got the sport-tuned suspension package (OEM 19's)
Tell me you're not trying to find 19" winter tires to fit on your 19" OEM rims.

It will be much better (not to mention cheaper) to get a second set of wheels dedicated for winter use. I recommend no larger than 17". I had winter 17's on my 350Z (with Brembos). I use 17" winters on my G35 6MT Sport now.

Going any bigger than 17" for your winter tires is pointless. If you're still in doubt, spend the time to search this forum and you'll find many supporting threads.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by 350Zed
Tell me you're not trying to find 19" winter tires to fit on your 19" OEM rims.

It will be much better (not to mention cheaper) to get a second set of wheels dedicated for winter use. I recommend no larger than 17". I had winter 17's on my 350Z (with Brembos). I use 17" winters on my G35 6MT Sport now.

Going any bigger than 17" for your winter tires is pointless. If you're still in doubt, spend the time to search this forum and you'll find many supporting threads.
Yep, that's the only option I'm considering. That's why I was curious about the dry traction. I have searched a dozen times, the typical description is something like "they're good" or "they're buttery". I'm sitting here thinking, okayyyyyy.

Seriously though, my situation doesn't need a special set of winter rims and tires - my winters aren't that bad and my FI setup is enough to keep me busy. I just want something that will make the car work in the rain and keep my butt from sliding out every time I make a right turn (even when dry).

P.S. Come to think of it, summer tires in winter = deathtrap, not deathwish. Deathwish implies no skill. 4-dimensional motion is a cake walk, I'm up to 7 dimensions

Last edited by aero; 11-13-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
you know, i have been reading winter tire questions for about two years...and having gotten through two winters with my G with OEm 17s and All seasons in Ohio, I am still considering getting 19 snow tires, but weighing the decision...

BUT, all that changed while being on active duty here in germany. All the cars are required to change to snow tires in the winter...and my Mercedes C220 I have has handled amazingly well with the contiental contact sport tires...all the way up to 210kph, or 130mph,in the rain, in snow, or even on dry pavement. The temperatures range from 45degrees down to 15degrees so far. I am now a firm believer in snow tires (better described as winter tires!)

Hope this helps anyone...

Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM
^I'm impress you're still alive driving that fast in those conditions. I hope I'm reading your statement wrong.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
what do you mean? they are meant to be driven like any tires..and no i didnt create any typos...This is normal here, people drive like this all the time. The tires are meant to preform "like" summer tires, but in the winter. They have gained my confidence. I also have driven with other snow tires (brand slipped my mind, but not continental) on a bmw 325 in simular conditions. Those tires preformed as functioned.

Dont be impress that i am alive, be impressed that the tires do what they say they do, and we who never used winter tires before, can be assured in their abilities...

I am going to get snow tires for my oem wheels (extra set i dont use) and rock them out when i get home...which is in 5 days! yeah!!!!

enjoy!