Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Best all-season/winter tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best all-season/winter tires

Hey guys,

I just picked up my OEM Ray's 19s with a fresh set of the OEM Bridgestones. So now I've got my OEM 18's and want to get a nice set of all-season/winter slicks for those few months when driving around here can be pretty dangerous (I know from experience!)...

Anyway, just wanted to solicit some feedback from you guys on which all-season/winter tires you like the most so I can get a set for my 18s in their new role as my "winter" set.

Thanks!
B

Old 03-17-2008, 02:02 AM
There really is no "Best Set" as it all depends on your location and also what's important to you.

Since you just got a set of 19" Summer tires, your best bet is going to be getting a dedicated set of Snow Tires, that way you don't sacrifice anything.

You get the best of both worlds and of course no All-Season tire will be even close to a dedicated snow tire.

I'm sure 90+% will agree with me.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
describe your typical winter conditions you drive in and we can give you a better idea of what type of winter tire to purchase

Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 AM
I can make a recommendation........Dunlop Winter Sport M3s winter tires. We had a very snowy winter in Toronto this year and these tires performed very nicely. My friend who drives an M5 told me about these tires as they're the ones recommended by his BMW dealership. They're designed to provide winter grip without compromising handling like some winter tires.

I bought mine from Tire Rack.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Don't want to hijack the thread at all but I'm looking for a similar set up for my G. Typical winter driving here:

Snowy: They are pretty good about clearing but there can be a thick layer on the ground, probably up to about 1-3", obviously that is slightly packed down.

Most of the time: it is just slush laying on the road, somewhere between the liquid and solid stage depending on temp.

Normal Temp: at its coldest 0-20, warmest 20-35.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always had great luck with Bridgestone Blizzaks, both WS50 and LM22's.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I live near Washington, D.C...so it snows maybe three or four times each winter. Sometimes the roads get pretty bad - at times driving through an 1-3" or so of snow when the plows don't make it far int my neighborhood. Occasionally we get some ice storms too. Neither of these situations has worked very well for me with my current setup (high performance summer tires).

Just looking to be able to get to/from work safe and sound when these conditions hit those few times each year.

-B

Old 03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I'll second the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. Just completing my fourth season on them and they are great in light snow, ice, and slush, and sacrifice very little handling in the dry.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Kind of leaning toward the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS50's...anyone use Continentals?

-B

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I use michelin arctic alpine PA2's and I love them. Probably comparable to the M3's according to tirerack

Old 03-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey guy, I looked into the m3's myself and heard great things...I have a question, Has anyone heard of the Assurance TripleTred, these are all-seasons but apparently great in the winter aswell. Any comment?? Rear wheel drive is horrible in the winter and Im jus looking for the most cost-efficient way.

Another question - The infiniti dealership told me that with the VDC off, I can save some gas. If this true, and is there a way to keep it off without it reseting back to on after turning off the car.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by mkbanker
Hey guy, I looked into the m3's myself and heard great things...I have a question, Has anyone heard of the Assurance TripleTred, these are all-seasons but apparently great in the winter aswell. Any comment?? Rear wheel drive is horrible in the winter and Im jus looking for the most cost-efficient way.

Another question - The infiniti dealership told me that with the VDC off, I can save some gas. If this true, and is there a way to keep it off without it reseting back to on after turning off the car.

Thanks
No all season will be great in the winter despite what you've heard. Also, the VDC has no effect on gas mileage

Old 03-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
No all season will be great in the winter despite what you've heard. Also, the VDC has no effect on gas mileage
So avoid the all seasons, huh? Are there any pure winter tires that perform well in dry conditions as well? We don't get tons of snow or freezing conditions here in the D.C. area, so I'd like a set that still performs pretty well when it's relatively cold (20-45 degrees) but still dry outside.

Thanks,
B

Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by shdowflare
So avoid the all seasons, huh? Are there any pure winter tires that perform well in dry conditions as well? We don't get tons of snow or freezing conditions here in the D.C. area, so I'd like a set that still performs pretty well when it's relatively cold (20-45 degrees) but still dry outside.

Thanks,
B
the M3's, PA2's, and WS-50's all fit this bill.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Cool, this is just what I needed.

Thanks Redlude...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best all-season/winter tires