Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires: Dragon tested, helldorado approved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires: Dragon tested, helldorado approved

Since getting these mounted last Monday, I've put 1800 miles on the tires including several trips along the dragon so I think I have a feel for the tires now. Comparing to the Michelin Pilot PS2 and Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 I have previously driven on (matching sizes too), I would say they fall right between the two in overall performance but with a far greater value

Noise, dry grip, wet traction, sidewall stiffness are all excellent. All that's really left to figure out is how long they're going to last. I haven't had these tires break free on me yet, the threshold of where they start to talk or get squirrelly is past where I wanted to push it on the dragon and the VDC was stepping in first. I did have the car up to 90 mph in the rain on 129 between the dragon and Fontana Village and there was no twitchiness to the car at all. Cruising up and down the highway, these tires have remained very quiet so far and are far quieter than tires like the KDW2 or my winter ContiExtremeContacts.

I would say these tires offer at least 9/10 the performance of the PS2's, and are on par with the GS-D3's for grip but with a stiffer sidewall so turn in is more responsive. So far, I'm quite happy with the tires and because of their excellent price, would purchase them again over the PS2's without hesitation. The only thing I will do next time is probably move to the 295/30/19 rear, and possibly consider the 275/30/19 front. I'm currently running the 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 combo.

I purchased the tires from AFS wheels who were very helpful and drop shipped the rears from Vredestein as soon as they got off the container ship. All dealers I called were out of stock of the 275/35/19 size.

Shots of the stretch of the 255/25/19 and 275/35/19 on a 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 rim respectively.

Left is the PS2, right is the GS-D3, both in 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 on a 9.5/10.5 combo.

And a couple other misc images for reference.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i also have these tires and would recommend them...

Old 05-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have read quite a bit about the ultrac sessantas. The company has done extensive R&D on these. i'm seriously considering these as my next set to replace my KDW2s. I still have plenty of thread left on my KDWs, but tempted to replace them early to get a quieter set of tires. How much did you pay if you don't mind sharing?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
my brother got a set of these on his cobra and i fell in love, i got my new volks about 3 weeks ago and i HAD to get some of these tires to put on.

These tires are some of the best performing tires out at the absolute best price!

i highly highly recommend these tires!

great write up.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by G35sedan03
i have read quite a bit about the ultrac sessantas. The company has done extensive R&D on these. i'm seriously considering these as my next set to replace my KDW2s. I still have plenty of thread left on my KDWs, but tempted to replace them early to get a quieter set of tires. How much did you pay if you don't mind sharing?
I got them through AFS Wheels in CA, had great prices, just need to call them. I don't have their info right in front of me. Check eBay too. You can get deals there too, AFS does sell on eBay for solid prices. They have very good customer service whether you buy direct or from their eBay sales.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got these about 2 weeks ago
245/35/20 & 275/30/20

since its been raining almost every day I havent had much time to really put em to the test on dry pavement but....
in rain they are phenominal!!!!
feels like ur driving on dry surface even doin 80 in heavy rain

so far Ive had Falken 452 which i liked a lot but later opted to try the Toyo T1-R's becuase of all the talk around them,
....T1-R's where ok but I like the Falkens better they stick better
this time around i was gonna go falken 452 again but i figured i give these a try

so far i purposely broke the rear end loose twice with VDC off & grip was pretty dam good, not much sliding like the T1-R's
sunny days are ahead & I will really put these tires to the test to see if the stick better than the 452's

CONS.... I realized after getting them with the bad camber wear our cars have these tires will not last as long as others because u cannot rotate them because they are asymmetrical so wen the inside starts to wear u cant put them on the other wheel (u can but the inside will still be on the inside)

Old 05-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, you CAN rotate these tires. They sure don't look symmetrical, but they are designed to be used (rotated) in either direction.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jjellyneck
Actually, you CAN rotate these tires. They sure don't look symmetrical, but they are designed to be used (rotated) in either direction.
you're right, if you look at the picture on the first post of the pattern and the forward direction, you can flip them from left to right and vice versa. if you get the same size all the way around, can also rotate them forwards and backwards.