Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Hello all from Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Neal,

I have a 09 G37 6MT S 18"

Fr: 225/50R18
Rr: 245/45R18

Hotchkis sway bars
Fr Setting: Only one hole
Rr Setting: Middle hole (3 holes)

I replaced the rear stock RE050 tires with BS RE960s from tirerack. I know that it is bad to mix tires but i'm waiting for the fronts to wear out. The car seems overly sensitive when cornering or swerving side to side. Is that b/c the tread patterns are different? Will the car stabilize if I also get RE960s in the front?

I was told that I could get 235/50R18 and 255/45R18s instead of the stock tires. I don't see any tire out there that has a stiffer sidewall than the RE050 in stock sizes. If I go outside of the stock sizes, I can get the Michelin pilot sport A/S, which I know has a stiffer sidewall. I'm going to increase the psi on the rear tires and stiffen up the rear sway bar to see if that helps. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:11 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I had my Eibach sways in the same position as yours and had no issues. I'm quite certain the mixed summer/all season combo on the car is what's causing the issue. Differ designs, compounds, tread depths, etc making the car work against itself from front to back. Like walking around with a dress shoe on one foot and a work boot on the other. Can get around.... just not that efficiently.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
neal hey bro i need some help on tires for my truck

its a 1990 chevy 6cyl 1500. Its the limited edition SPORT with the 5 speed. Its in storage right now so i cant look at the tire wall to get the tire size but alot of the forums say it uses the same tires as the 454SS. I googled pics of the 454SS and the wheels look the same but i dont want to make a mistake and buy the wrong tires. Also looking for a drop so if you can help me on the suspension parts needed id apreciate it. Looking to buy atleast two tires next thursday and the other two and my drop parts the following pay period.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by neal@tirerack
“In service” is from the date the tires are put into service, such as mounted and balanced on the vehicle and not the date of manufacture.
Thank you!

Old 04-21-2010, 05:16 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by eljoker
neal hey bro i need some help on tires for my truck

its a 1990 chevy 6cyl 1500. Its the limited edition SPORT with the 5 speed. Its in storage right now so i cant look at the tire wall to get the tire size but alot of the forums say it uses the same tires as the 454SS. I googled pics of the 454SS and the wheels look the same but i dont want to make a mistake and buy the wrong tires. Also looking for a drop so if you can help me on the suspension parts needed id apreciate it. Looking to buy atleast two tires next thursday and the other two and my drop parts the following pay period.
I show that there were two size options for the base truck, 225/75-15 or 235/75-15. The SS takes a 275/60-15 which is quite a difference in size. I'd hate to send the larger only to find they won't fit your wheels. Might have to take a look at the existing tires before the purchase.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Ill see if i can make it to storage tonight and ill get back to you also i am try and get a pic to see if you guys can recommend a drop or if you guys even sell springs id scoop them up.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neal the best Tires for Winter & Winter/Snow/All Season Peformance for an 05 Coupe Stock 17's?

Thank you for any assist!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Site says the Conti DWS but I don't think they will live up to the hype... and they wont be in stock in less than 6-8 weeks.

I'd also look at the Michelin A/S+ and new Yoko Envigor. Both are great performers for year round driving. Michelin a bit more sport based, Yoko a little more mileage.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Site says the Conti DWS but I don't think they will live up to the hype... and they wont be in stock in less than 6-8 weeks.

I'd also look at the Michelin A/S+ and new Yoko Envigor. Both are great performers for year round driving. Michelin a bit more sport based, Yoko a little more mileage.
I'm currently looking for a new set of All Season for my 05 Sedan 6MT. I have the Michelin Pilot As Plus and they were good but did not get the tread wear I was hoping for. After reviewing the surveys on tire rack, was going with the Conti DWS but when I went to check out I realized they didn't mach the load rating of the OE (Bridgestone Turanza). I'm going with the Yoko Envigors because they do match the load rating and from the reviews I've been reading people love em. Getting them tomorrow, will post back in a bit to give my thoughts.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Sounds good! Give me a call

Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Neal,

I have some g37s wheels with the following specs:

f 19x8.5 +43mm r 19x9 +45mm

I'm looking to run the following tire setup on my 05 sedan (stock height) but I havent seen hardly anybody who is running this on this site or any of the other related sites (idk if my searching ability is terrible or what):

f 245/40/19 r 265/35/19

is this setup known to cause problems or is there a reason 265/35/19 arent very popular for the back? thanks, appreciate your input.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Combo looks ok with the exception of the rears. Our most common combination 245/40-19 front and 275/35-19 rear. If you use a 265 rear it will make the front tires taller and give an odd stance.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey neal I'm driving an 05 coupe with 19 inch tires, Needing to buy something new. Looking at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS but there seems to be alot of mixed reviews on them. Also alot of the reviews most of the tires say "for the price the range".

Whats your opionin on those tires and what would recomend?

Look foward to hearing back from ya.

Josh.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:35 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Sort of mixed myself on those. In a nutshell.... great tire for the $. Above average across the board, better than Kumho's/Sumitomo's, maybe better than the Pirelli's. Do I think it will stay #1 on the list....no.

I predict it will stay #1 in its class until they come into stock and more people have them on the car to review. Original Extreme Contact did the same when it launched. Handful of people got them, loved it for the first few thousand miles, then went on horrible b/o for 3-4 months, then fell in the ratings. Initial buzz wore off after about a year.

Not a bad tire at all, but not a tire worthy of a #1 ranking. It is better than the original, however. If you don't drive super aggressive and want a tire that does a little of everything then it will work out great.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Sort of mixed myself on those. In a nutshell.... great tire for the $. Above average across the board, better than Kumho's/Sumitomo's, maybe better than the Pirelli's. Do I think it will stay #1 on the list....no.

I predict it will stay #1 in its class until they come into stock and more people have them on the car to review. Original Extreme Contact did the same when it launched. Handful of people got them, loved it for the first few thousand miles, then went on horrible b/o for 3-4 months, then fell in the ratings. Initial buzz wore off after about a year.

Not a bad tire at all, but not a tire worthy of a #1 ranking. It is better than the original, however. If you don't drive super aggressive and want a tire that does a little of everything then it will work out great.

Thanks, right now I'm trying to decided between Nitto NTO5's or Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110. However atm I got slammed with a bunch of bills so new tires may have to wait until the end of the month.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hello all from Tire Rack