Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Wheel Spacer is it SAFE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wheel Spacer is it SAFE?

Alright so I have some rims that are pretty tucked in and I wanted to run spacers for now until I get better rim offsets.

The huge question I have is are they safe to run? I know a lot of guys are running them.

Also do you increase the risk of danger by running bigger spacers?

BTW I tried searching online and also on driver but didn't come up with anything and rather get unbias answers.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:29 AM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
There have been a few posts about this, but for my money: I ran 20mm/25mm spacers on my G for about a year (On the OEM Rays 19's) I loved em, definately made the car feel far more stable, while truth be told, I don't really drive her trackishly, yea it's a word, I just made it up

If you get a reputable brand (mine were ichiba V2's) and make sure they have built in studs (or are small enough to not need em) I'd say you would be fine. The general consensus I have read in my research to buying em shows that they have about the same "stress" effect as nice low offset wheels.

Also they made the wheels look MUCH better, so I say try em out...in fact I may be selling mine soon as I just got my new wheels in and they won't need em.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spacers add stress to the wheel bearing...some say they're bad, and others say they don't make a difference...It could also depend on how you drive the car, whether you drift or what not.. They do make some wheels look much better... A lot of people claim that they have no issues with spacers... I wouldn't go too large though because that added stress builds up.. make sure you have good lugs and you will be fine..

Old 03-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by DG_coupe
Alright so I have some rims that are pretty tucked in and I wanted to run spacers for now until I get better rim offsets.

The huge question I have is are they safe to run? I know a lot of guys are running them.

Also do you increase the risk of danger by running bigger spacers?

BTW I tried searching online and also on driver but didn't come up with anything and rather get unbias answers.

If your gonna purchase new rims and worry, its better to get ones with the correct offsets that you like.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll run spacers for now until I get my new rims.

Originally Posted by HenryLee
If your gonna purchase new rims and worry, its better to get ones with the correct offsets that you like.
Def gonna get the right offsets this time around. The rims I got were just to cheap to pass up at the time.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:50 PM
you lose like 5-6 threads on your wheel stud, making them not as strong, wheel sits different causing wear on your wheel bearings. Our shop will sell them, but wont install them.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jookyshank
There have been a few posts about this, but for my money: I ran 20mm/25mm spacers on my G for about a year (On the OEM Rays 19's) I loved em, definately made the car feel far more stable, while truth be told, I don't really drive her trackishly, yea it's a word, I just made it up

If you get a reputable brand (mine were ichiba V2's) and make sure they have built in studs (or are small enough to not need em) I'd say you would be fine. The general consensus I have read in my research to buying em shows that they have about the same "stress" effect as nice low offset wheels.

Also they made the wheels look MUCH better, so I say try em out...in fact I may be selling mine soon as I just got my new wheels in and they won't need em.
yea i would say go with the spacers that have built in studs... if not then you need to install the extended studs so that you don't lose the thread that g2env was talking about

Old 03-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd go with Project Kics with built-in studs. The stress you introduce using spacers is comparable to having a low offset wheel to begin with, so as long as you use a spacer from a reputable company it should (theoretically) be the same.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Any one drifted with spacers on?

Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 AM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by mvp2765
spacers add stress to the wheel bearing
wrong wrong wrong

aggresive wheels would do the same thing if you're assuming that...spacers are safe if they are installed correctly and are of good quality.

I tracked my car with 30mm in the rear and 25mm in the front and have had no issues whatsoever.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by FinallyGotaG
wrong wrong wrong

aggresive wheels would do the same thing if you're assuming that...spacers are safe if they are installed correctly and are of good quality.

I tracked my car with 30mm in the rear and 25mm in the front and have had no issues whatsoever.
o wow that's good to know I heard if you track your car is when spacers become dangerous.

What spacers are you runinng v2 ichibas?

Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 PM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by dg_coupe
o wow that's good to know i heard if you track your car is when spacers become dangerous.

What spacers are you runinng v2 ichibas?
h&r

Old 03-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you run 30mm spacers is it a must to roll the fenders even on stock wheels?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm still kind of new to all of this but I was wondering if I will rub at all with this new setup on a Coupe? And if I would add spacers what size would help me run flush or just beyond flush?

1. Not lowered
2. Wheels 19x9.5 (+20 offset) and 19x8.5 (+15 offset)
3. Tires are 245/35/19 fronts and 275/35/19 rears

Thanks in advanced guys...

Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 AM
i have stock 19's on stock rubber and i plan on lowering with the 350z h-tech's and getting 25mm all around or 25/30....i know im going to have to get my fenders rolled.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer is it SAFE?