Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Official Winter Tire Setup - Submit Yours

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XCELR8
Yes, remove the front locating pins. They should only be on the two front wheels. They are there so the guy at the factory didnt put the rear wheels on the front by accident. It should be a 12mm bolt and sleeve. I took mine off last year and have never put them back. Common part with a real easy fix. See the pic below. I'm working with my fitment team here at Tire Rack to get that warning printed on the invoice so people wont forget
Thanks a lot!! Did you just use plyers or something to pull it off?

thanks again!

Old 12-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
No problem Just use a socket wrench and socket. Its threaded into rotor.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Car: 2003 Coupe 6MT
Tire Make: Dunlop Graspic DS-2
Tire type: Studless Ice & Snow
Tire Size: 225/50/17 Front, 225/55/17 Rear
Rim Size: ASA JH3 17x7.5 +32
Price Paid: $960 total from TireRack.com
Snow Handling: excellent
Ice Traction: moderate
Dry Handling: poor to moderate
Comments/Recommendations:

I live in Chicagoland, so I considered performance winter tires no better than all seasons, and so a waste of my money. This year I chose the Dunlops over the Blizzak WS-50s that I had on my WRX wagon last year. They are quieter and I think have better snow traction, but their dry performance leaves something to be desired. Of course, they *are* dedicated studless winters and so I didn't expect much. I tend to take it easy when its dry and I am pretty happy with them (I like them better then the Blizzaks and they were much cheaper). I decided to retain the default staggered setup to avoid any VDC or speedo offsets, and since they are non-directional I can always rotate left to right if necessary.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by sm16
Thanks a lot!! Did you just use plyers or something to pull it off?

thanks again!

It's a 10mm bolt threaded into the rotor through a collar. You can use a ratchet and socket, or use the 10mm mini-wrench in the trunk (which they supplied in case you have to put the spare on the front)

Old 12-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by mrmcderm
It's a 10mm bolt threaded into the rotor through a collar. You can use a ratchet and socket, or use the 10mm mini-wrench in the trunk (which they supplied in case you have to put the spare on the front)
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll have to do this all over again.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM
It works on my machine
Well it's getting to be that time of the year again and I just wanted to resurrect this thread. Today I just purchased a set of wheels and tires from tirerack, I got the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. I wanted to hear from those of you who drove on these last year as to how they performed in the 3"-6" of snow like we get here in the Chicago area. GR8TG35, if your still around please input, because your setup sounds like what I just purchased.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBig
Well it's getting to be that time of the year again and I just wanted to resurrect this thread. Today I just purchased a set of wheels and tires from tirerack, I got the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. I wanted to hear from those of you who drove on these last year as to how they performed in the 3"-6" of snow like we get here in the Chicago area. GR8TG35, if your still around please input, because your setup sounds like what I just purchased.
Thanks for the call up, Yes, i'm still around

I can honestly say, that the set up I went with worked very well last winter. We had several mild (1-4")storms, and a real time blizzard (20-25"). I actually braved out in the blizzard to drive my wife to work in the early morning. I was surprised how well mannered the car was.

The road noise was in my opinion, less than the Pilot Sports, and the ride improved because of the sidewall height. The handling did suffer slightly, but it was a fair trade off for the inclement weather safety.

I would recommend the Dunlop M3's to anyone looking for a good quality tire for winter/snow driving conditions.

I put approx. 7,500 miles on them last year, and since I went with the same tire size, I can now rotate them front to back this season for some extra mileage/wear.

Hope this helps you out.
Remember, This car is no way a HUMMER. If you drive conservatively and use common sense driving habits, I think you will find the G will get you around with the best of them in the winter months of snow/ice....

Old 09-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '03 6MT Coupe
Tire: Blizzak LM22
Sizes: 225/45/18 and 245/45/18
Rims: OEM 18's
Price paid: ? when I bought the car
Ice handling: Moderate-poor
Snow handling: Moderate
Dry handling: Moderate+
Comments:
I see several folks have this setup. There are several really good posts on the subject, enough to allow folks to choose. Absolutely - if you want the best winter traction, go for skinny 17's and the 'studless ice' tires, they will definitely work better than these. However, in 'lake effect' Michigan I have to put these on in late November and can't take them off again until at least March (just one late snow storm on those Pilots), and most of the time I'm driving on cold, dry roads. The LM22's are reasonably quiet, and the fact that they don't stick like the Pilot's can be...fun? (Have to be careful...) If there is snow, then I'm very careful, and I've never been stuck with them. I enjoy the car year-round. Just my compromise....

Old 09-07-2005, 10:17 AM
has anyone used their stock 17 tires (goodyear rs-a) on snow? how are they? i'm from CT and we get fairly good amount of snow of about 30" a year.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:45 AM
It works on my machine
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
Thanks for the call up, Yes, i'm still around

I can honestly say, that the set up I went with worked very well last winter. We had several mild (1-4")storms, and a real time blizzard (20-25"). I actually braved out in the blizzard to drive my wife to work in the early morning. I was surprised how well mannered the car was.

The road noise was in my opinion, less than the Pilot Sports, and the ride improved because of the sidewall height. The handling did suffer slightly, but it was a fair trade off for the inclement weather safety.

I would recommend the Dunlop M3's to anyone looking for a good quality tire for winter/snow driving conditions.

I put approx. 7,500 miles on them last year, and since I went with the same tire size, I can now rotate them front to back this season for some extra mileage/wear.

Hope this helps you out.
Remember, This car is no way a HUMMER. If you drive conservatively and use common sense driving habits, I think you will find the G will get you around with the best of them in the winter months of snow/ice....
Thanks, you put my mind at ease. I have driven many RWD cars in the snow, and while I do like to have a little fun in a parking lot , (IMHO this is really the only way to safley know the limits of a car) I really need this thing to get me to work in the winter months.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Tire Make: Bridgestone Blizzak LM22
Tire type: Winter Performance
Tire Size: 225/25/18 FR and 225/45/18 RR (I think - same as the stock summers)
Rim Size: 18
Price Paid:
Snow Handling: moderate
Ice Traction: poor
Dry Handling: excellent
Comments/Recommendations: Love them expcept when it snows more than 2 inches...

Old 09-07-2005, 08:11 PM
What is this "snow" you speak of?

*sips his pineapple juice*

Old 09-08-2005, 09:13 AM
It works on my machine
Originally Posted by boro240
What is this "snow" you speak of?

*sips his pineapple juice*
It's a white fluffy powder, much like cotton, that falls from the sky when mother nature get really pissed at the upper part of the U.S. The so called *** kicking can be anywhere from 1/4" to 20" at any given time that leaves most motorists scratching their head in amazement the first time it happens for the given season. The white fluffy powder can really put a damper in your driving abilities, fun, and generally really makes you feel crappy. Unfortunately most people that live in the upper U.S. feel compelled to deal with *** kicking year after year, by saying "I like the way the seasons change" I say BS, if I could, I would live in AZ or NV, but at this time it's not in the cards. So I will just say this as someone is twisting my arm behind my back "I really, really like the change in seasons "

Old 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I thought I was the only one worrying about winter this early. Actually when I called discounttiredirect about dunlop M3 2 weeks ago, they said they are not gettting new shipments of winter tires until late september. all they are selling now under winter tire catagory are leftovers from last winter.

Anyway, my question is where can I get the best deal on dunlop M3? I'm going w/ GR8TG35's setup too -- 225/55R17 all around. from last year's posts, I know someone got these tires for $85 each (except it's for 18" rims). https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...485#post368377

That's an amazing deal comparing to what I've found so far. The best deal I found was $144 + shipping/each from tirerack for the dunlop M3. Anyone know of a better deal than this? Please share w/ us and maybe we can even consider a group buy it that'll work. I've already got myself a set of 17" OEM rims from Ebay so I only need tires. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:13 AM
moe
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: G35 Coupe 5AT
Tire Make: Blizzak LM22
Tire type: Winter Performance
Tire Size: 225/50/17 Front and 235/50/17 Rear
Rim Size: 17X7.5 Front and 17x8 Rear OEM
Price Paid: $200 for four (one season on a Z roadster-4k miles)
Snow Handling: hope for excellent
Ice Traction: hope for moderate
Dry Handling: hope for very good
Comments/Recommendations:
I picked these up for a sweet price, and I will mount em on my ugly OEM 17s since the RSAs sucked since new.

Then I will find OEM 18s by spring

I have used on the following;
Audi AWD sedan- Dunlop M3 Wintersport 18" EXCELLENT AT EVERYTHING
maybe Dunlop M2 this year on 225/55/17s

Mitsu VR4 3000GT- 225/55/16 Blizzak WS15 (2001) Good in deep snow, lame in dry

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Official Winter Tire Setup - Submit Yours