Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

What tire best fits my driving/budget?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What tire best fits my driving/budget?

Hey guys, I live in CA currently (and will be for at least another 15 months), so generally speaking it's not too wet, and I never drive in snow. Most of my driving is commuting to and from work, and to and from school. I do occasionally enjoy going too fast on a winding road, but I'm not a confident enough driver to go WAY over the limit. When my front tires went, I replaced them with bridgestone potenzas, which set me back about 540 for the pair. However I noticed that particularly when driving aggressively, these things seem kind-of loud.
So anyways, now I need to get rears for my g35 2005 6mt. What are you recommendations? I don't mind spending a bit for good tires, but I'd like to not spend more than I spent on the front tires ($540ish). Considering it's mostly commuting, I would probably prefer slightly quieter/longer lasting tires, but I'd still like them to be decent if I go for a drive on a nice road. Also if it matters: I don't care at all if they're on the harder side, I don't mind feeling the road more especially since I'm on stock suspension anyways.
Thanks in advance
-Phil

Last edited by philbegas; 07-08-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:57 AM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by philbegas
Hey guys, I live in CA currently (and will be for at least another 15 months), so generally speaking it's not too wet, and I never drive in snow. Most of my driving is commuting to and from work, and to and from school. I do occasionally enjoy going too fast on a winding road, but I'm not a confident enough driver to go WAY over the limit. When my front tires went, I replaced them with bridgestone potenzas, which set me back about 540 for the pair. However I noticed that particularly when driving aggressively, these things seem kind-of loud.
So anyways, now I need to get rears for my g35 2005 6mt. What are you recommendations? I don't mind spending a bit for good tires, but I'd like to not spend more than I spent on the front tires ($540ish). Considering it's mostly commuting, I would probably prefer slightly quieter/longer lasting tires, but I'd still like them to be decent if I go for a drive on a nice road. Also if it matters: I don't care at all if they're on the harder side, I don't mind feeling the road more especially since I'm on stock suspension anyways.
Thanks in advance
-Phil
Most people will tell you not to mix tire types due to differences in tread and/or differing ratings. But personally I had pirelli P-Zero on all four corners of my G and I loved it, I recommend those or Michelin PSS. Good luck with your decision

Old 07-12-2016, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently have the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions. They are good tires that handle very well and won't break the bank. The continental extreme contact DW are also very good, they're cheaper, and will last a bit longer then the Potenzas but are a little less grippy.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
Achilles ATR sport for the guy who just commutes - $80-100 a tire.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Wessanata
I currently have the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions. They are good tires that handle very well and won't break the bank....
+1. Same here.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Achilles ATR sport for the guy who just commutes - $80-100 a tire.
+1 here. Achilles ATR Sport are absolutely the best tires for the money. They aren't gonna compete with PSS on the track or anything, but they are a good tire. Only problem I ever had was wet traction (with the old version), but they're now sold as the updated ATR Sport 2 and wet traction is greatly improved. Really not sure how they sell them for ~$400 for all 4.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Yea those are the wrong tires for my car why are you trying to advertise them to me? lol

The tires I got for the front are actually the Potenza RE 970AS Pole Position which is a different version right? What's the difference between my Potenzas and yours?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Supposedly the RE970 will be better for all weather?

And while I'm asking, what about the RE 760?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The S-04 Pole Positions are max performance summer tires which are competitors to the michelin pilot super sports, so they are more performance oriented. The RE970as are high performance all-season tires which means they are street tires that are a little grippy. The Potenza Re760s are great tires and have great handling but are not as good as the S-04s due to the S-04s firmer sidewall. Also the Re760's have been discontinued by the manufactuer. You should probably just get the RE970as due to the fact that they will last you much longer and have a tread wear warranty.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Hmm well at my current rate I put on about 10-12k miles a year and then next fall I'll be starting school either on the north-east coast or in seattle so maybe the all weather is better so I don't have to switch tires when I move.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM
In that case what about the RE970AS vs the Pirelli P-zero, the ATR Sport 2 or the Michelin PSS when it comes to all weather capability?

Are those all summer tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

Old 07-14-2016, 02:57 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I find this website to be one of the best for tire reviews. Lot's of data from actual users

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Old 07-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by philbegas
In that case what about the RE970AS vs the Pirelli P-zero, the ATR Sport 2 or the Michelin PSS when it comes to all weather capability?

Are those all summer tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148
I drove the Pirellis year round last year and they handled very well during the rain, and it rained good n hard this last winter, least in the eyes of this Californian. In regards to the other tires you have listed I know the P-zero comes in both A/S and summer only tire, not sure about the others. Even though the A/S don't handle as well as the summer compound, I push my car hard and they have never felt squirrely at all

Old 07-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Right, my girlfriend and I live in the East bay across from San Francisco, but she's from Philly and she said the rain is moderate compared to how it would be if we move to Seattle or Philly or NYC or something lol.

Just to clarify, you're saying you drove the Pirelli P-zero AS through the rainy season? or the summer only?

Old 07-14-2016, 04:39 PM
I drove it through the rainy season AND summer. Make sure to get the P-zero All Seasons, not the Nero, they don't perform nearly as well as the others

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What tire best fits my driving/budget?