Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Help with rear tires wearing quickly - 10K miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with rear tires wearing quickly - 10K miles

First of all, this isn't an issue of me being new to the car and shocked at how quickly you blow through max performance tires on a staggered car doing burnouts. I have had this car for 9 years, 110K miles, and 5 sets of the same tires.

This is a 2005 6MT coupe. I use Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 tires and on past sets have gotten 27-30K and about 25K on the EVOs before the EVO2 came out. This set of rear tires was far past burned out at only 10,100 miles. The right was worn smooth, the left was slightly past the wear bars. It caught me off guard because I shouldn't have even needed to think about tires for another year or more.

Some facts:
  • Rear tires wore out in less than 10K miles and were bare on the right and almost bare on the left by 10,100, front are fine at about 6/32
  • Based on extensive past experience, I expect 25-30K out of these tires
  • Alignment was performed upon install of the set that wore out and was in spec
  • Alignment upon installation of new tires today was within spec and was not changed: rear camber L/R: -1.8/-1.6; rear toe L/R/Total: 0.05/0.05/0.10; thrust angle: 0.0
  • Shop checked for any issues with rear suspension. They are quick to point things out and give me quotes to fix them, which I laugh at and then fix myself.
  • If anything my driving was more conservative than usual
  • I did not lend my car out to anyone
  • No accidents / incidents during the short life of the set of tires
  • I just changed the diff fluid and it look clean, was about the right amount that came out, and didn't have excessive metal on the magnetic plug
  • I changed both rear wheel bearings about 4K into this past set of tires
  • The right wheel bearing was bad and I changed it again very recently
  • I did not notice excessive wear while doing the bearings at 4K, but I wasn't really looking for it either.
  • Rear suspension is stock. Ride height is stock
  • I have 25mm spacers on the rear, but have had those for 8 of the 9 years and about 100K miles.
  • No issues with tire pressure, has been kept correct

I'm looking for help figuring out what might be going on so I don't blow through another $500 pair of tires.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:14 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
some tires just wear out quicker than others. You just have to find a set that works.
I experienced same thing with Pilot Super sport.

Here is my experience with tires

https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...-michelin.html

Old 03-03-2018, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
PSS wears out like a department store condom.

That hankook should last much longer. Personally I think you should get rear camber arms and install toe bolts.

I wear out tires typically 2/3rds their advertised amount. Now that I'm camber kitted up I should get the full amount.

YMMV but it could've also just been a bad set of tires.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:22 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I've ran both the PSS's and the V12's. You can't compare them because they're not even in the same class of tires. The PSS's are a soft tire designed for great traction, the V12's are a hard tire that have less traction but will obviously last a lot longer.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:36 AM
I have gone through 2 sets of the V12 EVO2s and 2 sets of the V12 EVOs, so I know what to expect for wear - 25-30K. It's possible this was a bad set, but they wore 3x too fast and the fronts are wearing normally.

I'm thinking it's an issue with my car and not the tires. I already got 2 new V12 EVO2's and want to make sure I'm not going to blow through them in less than 10K again. Any suggestions on what could be going on with my car based on all the facts I stated?

Old 03-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Also, as far as camber arms and toe bolts, I'm running stock height and my alignment is in spec. I haven't changed the rear suspension since previous sets of tires and saw this set wear out 3x too fast.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:44 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Just because the rear suspension is holding alignment on a rack doesn't mean it's still holding it while under actual driving conditions. This is fairly common and I recommend just replacing all the bushings on the rear, upgrade to urethane for for even better control without hardly any sacrifice in ride quality.

Old rubber bushing do allow for quite a bit of play but can definitely return to their neutral position when you are slowly driving in a straight line up onto the alignment rack.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (03-04-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Just because the rear suspension is holding alignment on a rack doesn't mean it's still holding it while under actual driving conditions. This is fairly common and I recommend just replacing all the bushings on the rear, upgrade to urethane for for even better control without hardly any sacrifice in ride quality.

Old rubber bushing do allow for quite a bit of play but can definitely return to their neutral position when you are slowly driving in a straight line up onto the alignment rack.
Thanks, this seems like the most likely answer. I'll look into replacing the bushings in the rear. I have a shop press, so I should be able to do that myself.