Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Curing nasty understeer........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curing nasty understeer........

OK, so I've embarked on the first performance mod on my 1-month old '05 Sedan (Sport Suspension). The OEM sport suspension has been dissapointing with large amounts of push/understeer. Even on "soft" cornering I can feel the car's weight bump seriously across and away from the turn. Hard turns are scary and almost always require me to back off. I haven't heard these same reports from other '05 Sport owners, but nevertheless, I've got suspension issues.

So for step one, I've ordered Stillen Sways (and Prothane Bushings) and will try a soft-front/medium-rear setup. My understanding is that tightening up the rear should provide some relief from my understeer issues.

Should I also consider stiffer shocks/springs in the back? I've thought about the '05 350Z rear setup on my Sedan, but they're SO much stiffer than my current setup. Any thoughts?

-T

Old 09-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
I have the stilllen sways on my Coupe and have it set medium on both front n rear and its like night and day.
very neutral handling if you want your back to kick out more i would try med-hard on the rear

Old 09-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by Glex25
I have the stilllen sways on my Coupe and have it set medium on both front n rear and its like night and day.
very neutral handling if you want your back to kick out more i would try med-hard on the rear
Yeah, I just want it to handle like a real "sport sedan". It's very frustrating to have to ease off on even gentle corners and on/off ramps. (The car just wants to go straight! ) Ultimately, I'd much rather fight a little oversteer, than understeer any day. -T

Old 09-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try the stillen, it should be a dramatic improvement. next try different tire pressures... then stickier tires. then springs/shocks.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Teeter, do you have a 6MT or a 5AT?

I have a 5AT and I noticed the OE sport really isn't sporty. It still has body roll and understeer just as you mention so I decided to get 05 Z susp. Not too stiff for me and it does rebound better driving around the city than OE sport. This Z susp. really shines when you push it or go highway speeds. Make sure you get nice tires to match though.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by jakeup93
Teeter, do you have a 6MT or a 5AT?

I have a 5AT and I noticed the OE sport really isn't sporty. It still has body roll and understeer just as you mention so I decided to get 05 Z susp. Not too stiff for me and it does rebound better driving around the city than OE sport. This Z susp. really shines when you push it or go highway speeds. Make sure you get nice tires to match though.
Thank you , thank you, thank you! I thought I was the only one who found the Sedan (5AT) Sport Suspension to be fairly lame. I've been thinking about going with the 05 Z suspension, since the rears are so stiff in that setup (427, I think....yikes!). My understanding is that stiffer rears should help my understeer issues. (Right?) But I'll try the Stillen Sways first and see where I land.

My other minor gripe is that the 18" "sport" wheels are only 7.5" wide. This greatly limits max/ultra-high performance tire choices. So I'm thinking about going a bit wider. (Just wish I had more cashishe! ) -T

Old 09-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
After you get your sway bars installed, you could play with different tire pressures. Slightly higher in the front and lower in the back should help reduce understeer.

One wheel that is fairly cheap and looks good (IMO) is the MB Motorsports Weapon . They come in as wide as 17x9 or 18x9, with some offsets that should fit the sedan and give a wide, aggressive stance. I have the Competition, which looks good too but there is no centercap.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just dropping my car helped a lot with the handling...look into some nice springs...