Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tokico D-Specs and springs vs tein basics???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tokico D-Specs and springs vs tein basics???

Why would someone get the shocks and springs over the tein basics? (this isnt a criticism only a question). The cost seems like its about the same, and with the basics you get adjustable ride heights... does it have to do wtih ride quality? Ive been planning on going the tein basic route so that i can return my car to stock when i sell and the stock suspension wont be all torn up from lowering with springs. what am i missing here? the only thing i can think of is the basics would be too harsh for some people whereas the shock/spring combo would lower without increasing spring rates too much

Old 10-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Rollin On Dubz
I've never driven in a G35 with either set up, so i can't comment too much on ride quality. But from what I gather of MOD reviews, the Coilovers are a MUCH MUCH harsher ride. The Spring/Tokico shock route has been compared to a 330 in terms of handling, but maintained ride quality. While I've heard of coilovers to be nasty bumpy. But coilovers will give you better handling, from what I understand.

I could be wrong, maybe some owners of these modded suspensions will chime in....

Old 10-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im stuck in the same situation! Dont know if to go springs/shocks or the tein basics!?? It is roughly the same price. From what I understand, in addition to MIKEYMIKE, is with the spring/shocks you get...(1) better ride (2) lower spring rate numbers (3) adjustability of shocks (not on Basics) (4) if not too low (About 1" drop)...you may not need front camber kits and you wouldn't get bumpsteer. ...which with coilovers you dont have to spin them all the way down, but you'll probably want too!

If you choose springs, you then have to go through the headache of drop amounts, spring rates, and progressive vs. linear springs!

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Raznips
Why would someone get the shocks and springs over the tein basics? (this isnt a criticism only a question). The cost seems like its about the same, and with the basics you get adjustable ride heights... does it have to do wtih ride quality? Ive been planning on going the tein basic route so that i can return my car to stock when i sell and the stock suspension wont be all torn up from lowering with springs. what am i missing here? the only thing i can think of is the basics would be too harsh for some people whereas the shock/spring combo would lower without increasing spring rates too much
Ride quality of the Basics will be effected by where you set the ride height. You'd kinda think that the lower you go the worse they'd ride. That is not the case, it's the opposite. Unlike the Flex coilovers, to change the ride height on the Basics, you must raise the spring perch's up in order to raise the car up. In the front, this mean's your upping spring preload. Let me try and explain what that means, sorry if it's TMI for some.

I'll guesstimate that at a max drop of 2.6" in the front that the minumum amount of spring preload is about 1/3" And I'll guess that the suspension moves upwards 1.5" when you put the car on the ground.

At a 2.6" drop on your coupe, the amount of force needed to compress the front suspension 1" upwards because you just encountered a bump in the road (motion rates factored in, so the numbers are the actual amount of force required at the tires). We are dealing with the front only, since the rear suspension is not effected by spring preload in relation to ride height because the rear springs are NOT on the rear dampners.
482lbs

Same thing as above, but you've reset the ride height higher to have a 1" drop on your coupe.
892lbs

Remember, the Basic is a non adjustable dampner, you cannot adjust the dampning.

Their is extra pent up force with higher spring preloads, in order for the suspension to move upwards, it has to get past these greater pent up forces in order to move and offer compliance because of the bump encountered.

And their is another side to this, changes in ride height change your avaliable amount of suspension travel. Coilovers that adjust height by changing the height of the dampners, do not suffer from changes in suspension travel nor do they suffer from changes in ride quality directly linked to high preload level's.

Remember, a coupe dropped 1" will need front and rear aftermarket camber correction to the tune of $618 minimum. Basic's can be set to give a coupe a .7" drop in the front and avoid this, but it mean's dialing in even more spring preload.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:10 PM
We do have a alternative to the Basics for not that much more.

Tein Basic
504/504 spring rates
Twin tube design
Non adjustable for dampning
height adjustment via spring perch and raising preload level's
Reuses oem front and rear upper shock mounts

Megan Racing $899 shipped
560/448
Mono tube design
Adjustable dampners (32 levels)
Full length adjustment, adjust ride height without effecting spring preload or total suspension travel
Comes with own upper mounts front and rear

I have been offered a set of Megan Racing coilovers to review for a set period, we will have to wait and see if things work out.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure why everyone thinks that coilovers have a bad ride. I had a set of D2 Racing Coilovers on my IS300 and it had a 2.5"+ drop all the way around. I actually got complements on how well it rode. I dunno, maybe it depends on different manufacturers but I actually think you can get a really good ride with coilovers.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Oh, and I'm riding with s-techs on my G35, and I'd have to say, coilovers all the way. I can't wait to upgrade to flex.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Hey RAZNIPS...its was pretty quick but I just bought Tokico D specs and looking for a good price on the springs I want.
I was going crazy just thinking about coilovers and springs I just decided to do it w/d-specs!

Old 10-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Modded Member
Gsedan35-

Any idea of the minimum drop with the Megan Coilovers? I tried emailing them about model # MR-CDK-N3Z, and have yet to receive a response.

I understand that putting these on a sedan would equate to an extra 1" added to the minimum drop.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Gsedan35-

Any idea of the minimum drop with the Megan Coilovers? I tried emailing them about model # MR-CDK-N3Z, and have yet to receive a response.

I understand that putting these on a sedan would equate to an extra 1" added to the minimum drop.
They do not know the min and max drop amount on the Z, that's why they did not reply to you. I am working with their resident tech, Steve to get a answer to that. However, he did warn me that he has a lot of project's going on and would not be able to get me the info quickly. Yes, whatever drop amount he comes up with from measureing on the Z will equal a 1" greater amount compaired to a G sedan. I hope the setup can do a 1" sedan drop or oem Z height.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Adding just springs to oem shocks is TOTALLY different then adding Tokico D-spec shocks and then lowering springs. D-specs are vastly superior to oem shocks and can also be adjusted stiffer or softer.

The following users liked this post:
bloodycape (07-06-2012)
Old 10-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Adding just springs to oem shocks is TOTALLY different then adding Tokico D-spec shocks and then lowering springs. D-specs are vastly superior to oem shocks and can also be adjusted stiffer or softer.
Gsedan35 -
So, you would highly recommend the Tokico D-Specs with Tein 350Z H-Techs for the G35C. I have the Teins, but the ride seems to be getting a little harsher.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:33 PM
I highly recommend the D-specs for anyone willing to spend the $ to improve their "G" experience. But, certainly more so for those on lowering springs that offer higher spring rates then oem. My own experience with Z H-tech's was that the rear oem shocks did not have enough rebound control to offer proper control, though harshness was never ever a issue for the few thousand miles I tested the springs for. In any event, once installed you will quickly understand why your money was well spent.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:14 PM
so with tokico shocks there is a greater chance of getting my camber back in spec with the same drop as basics that will be out of spec? i just dont get this at all

Old 10-03-2005, 05:39 PM
im going for looks over function, but i wouldnt mind having better performance for the same price.... and im still a kid.... so im not worried about how harsh the ride is... i wanna slam my car though and i was planning on getting at LEAST rear camber correction and then dealing with my front tires wearing out a little earlier. If the fronts wear out in 1/2 the time they would normall with negative camber.... i just think that buying a couple more sets of front tires over the course of a few years... the cost will be a lot easier to deal with than front camber adjustment all at once.. i havent gotten a definative answer though on how much more wear will be put on front tires with a big drop... im really more lost the more i learn about all this. i figure that if the tires wear out in half the time... i just really dont know what i should do... maybe i should leave my car alone and just stop looking at these boards cause they give me all these evil ideas for mods

The following users liked this post:
bloodycape (07-06-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tokico D-Specs and springs vs tein basics???