Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tokico D-Specs and springs vs tein basics???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your looking to slam your car...go for the coilovers period. You will need to do something about both front & rear camber though. (at least rear)

I always said if I'm droppin' a car, then it has to be slammed...but I guess I grew up a little (since my honda days w/coilovers on lowest) and things changed...I rather less drop for better performance.

But to each its own.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Raznips
so with tokico shocks there is a greater chance of getting my camber back in spec with the same drop as basics that will be out of spec? i just dont get this at all
At almost their highest setting, the Basics will drop your coupe .7" in the front, which is a ride height that should allow you to avoid buying whole car camber correction. The catch is that your having to dial in a awfull lot of spring preload to get that height and it will effect ride quality.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Ride quality of the Basics will be effected by where you set the ride height. You'd kinda think that the lower you go the worse they'd ride. That is not the case, it's the opposite. Unlike the Flex coilovers, to change the ride height on the Basics, you must raise the spring perch's up in order to raise the car up. In the front, this mean's your upping spring preload. Let me try and explain what that means, sorry if it's TMI for some.

I'll guesstimate that at a max drop of 2.6" in the front that the minumum amount of spring preload is about 1/3" And I'll guess that the suspension moves upwards 1.5" when you put the car on the ground.

At a 2.6" drop on your coupe, the amount of force needed to compress the front suspension 1" upwards because you just encountered a bump in the road (motion rates factored in, so the numbers are the actual amount of force required at the tires). We are dealing with the front only, since the rear suspension is not effected by spring preload in relation to ride height because the rear springs are NOT on the rear dampners.
482lbs

Same thing as above, but you've reset the ride height higher to have a 1" drop on your coupe.
892lbs

Remember, the Basic is a non adjustable dampner, you cannot adjust the dampning.

Their is extra pent up force with higher spring preloads, in order for the suspension to move upwards, it has to get past these greater pent up forces in order to move and offer compliance because of the bump encountered.

And their is another side to this, changes in ride height change your avaliable amount of suspension travel. Coilovers that adjust height by changing the height of the dampners, do not suffer from changes in suspension travel nor do they suffer from changes in ride quality directly linked to high preload level's.

Remember, a coupe dropped 1" will need front and rear aftermarket camber correction to the tune of $618 minimum. Basic's can be set to give a coupe a .7" drop in the front and avoid this, but it mean's dialing in even more spring preload.
I don't completely follow your reasoning, but your original theory is backwards. The ONLY way to change the pre-load on a given spring is to change the amount of static compression. Raising the spring perch does NOT do this, since you are raising the car right along with it. IN FACT, if anything, the preload on the spring is REDUCED slightly because when you raise a corner, it transfers load OFF that corner to the opposite corner.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jahan
I don't completely follow your reasoning, but your original theory is backwards. The ONLY way to change the pre-load on a given spring is to change the amount of static compression. Raising the spring perch does NOT do this, since you are raising the car right along with it. IN FACT, if anything, the preload on the spring is REDUCED slightly because when you raise a corner, it transfers load OFF that corner to the opposite corner.

Your thinking about the rear springs and your correct. But in the front, no. Here's why. In the rear, the springs are not mounted on the rear dampners and theirfore do not have a upper mount bolted to the piston shaft. The upper mount holds back the front springs and limit's their upward travel. Since the upper mount stops the spring from going upwards, raise the lower spring perch up and your increasing preload since the upper mount will not move upwards. Vehicle height is only gained as a result of increasing spring preload.

Also, ask yourself this. What is the purpose of coilover's like the Tein Flex and Jic Flt-a2 that have dampner bodies that can adjust length? Why would someone want them vs a coilover that does not have that ability?

Old 10-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Your thinking about the rear springs and your correct. But in the front, no. Here's why. In the rear, the springs are not mounted on the rear dampners and theirfore do not have a upper mount bolted to the piston shaft. The upper mount holds back the front springs and limit's their upward travel. Since the upper mount stops the spring from going upwards, raise the lower spring perch up and your increasing preload since the upper mount will not move upwards. Vehicle height is only gained as a result of increasing spring preload.

Also, ask yourself this. What is the purpose of coilover's like the Tein Flex and Jic Flt-a2 that have dampner bodies that can adjust length? Why would someone want them vs a coilover that does not have that ability?
This is true for a coil-over module by itself, where the static state IS full rebound. BUT, installed on a vehilce, the static condition of the damper is such that the upper spring perch CAN move relative to the lower spring perch. Therefore, the check load on the spring will be the same regardless of ride height, UNTILL you get to full rebound on the vehicle.

I'm not that familiar with the specific C/O you referenced, but the main purpose behind adjustable height coil-overs is to set ride heights and balance cross weights. Adjustable pre-load is useful because for some combinations of damper, spring, and ride height, there may be a condition where there is NO preload on the spring at full rebound and it becomes unseated from it's perches. The other option is helper springs, which are very low rate coil springs in series with the main suspension coil. Under most conditions, they are at full compression, but when the vehicle's suspension goes into full rebound, the helper springs extend to maintain some amount of preload on the springs to keep them seated.

Edit . . . another benefit is to allow stock levels of suspension travel on a lowered car.