Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Avon Tech M550 A/S or Continental ContiExtremeContact

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
Mikeee2,

The wrench you bought looks fine for the purpose. I think your confusion comes from treating it like a ratchet handle. If you need to take a second turn on the wrench, you have to take the socket off the lug and reposition like a regular swing handle. The wrench is designed to measure torque both ways so that it an be used for left hand threads (rare). My wrench is always set for clockwise since I never use it to take the lugs off (use a cross wrench).

If you are a mechanic working on motors, suspension, etc. you need to calibrate your wrench, but for wheel lugs it's not really necessary. The critical issue with wheel lugs is that the wheel is centered, and that the lugs are evenly tightened in a star pattern. If you do this and they are all 1 or 2 ft/lb over or under you're still good. You get possible warping of wheels and rotors when people drive them up to 100+ ft/lb with an impact driver or tighen by hand and get some at 90 ft/lb and others at 70.

My routine for tightening (for what it's worth) is like this:

Start each lug by hand for at least 6 turns (take the socket and extension off the wrench and use it like a screwdriver if the lug hole is too deep to get your fingers in).

While pressing the wheel to the hub with one hand, spin the lugs on (always star pattern, I won't keep repeating) with a cross wrench just until they're snug. This lets the wheel center itself on the hub before you tighten anything.

Set the torque wrench for 40 ft/lb and tighten all lugs just until it clicks. Set the wrench again for 80 ft/lb and repeat. Test drive the car to make sure you have no vibrations or other issues.

Go once around the lugs with the torque wrench after about 50 miles till you get an 80 ft/lb click. Do it again after the first 500 miles. You can lose a little torque on the lugs as the wheel settles in with use.

I probably sound a little ****, it really isn't difficult. Good luck.

Craig
Thanks for all your info Craig. I gotta try it myself to hear the "clicking sound". I am just afraid if I miss the clicking sound that I'll over tighten it. I've known for breaking the "stud bolts" on my Honda valve covers. I didn't know torque wrench are so compilcated. There's this thing on the bottom of the handle that you have to loose or lock the torque setting too, etc.

Yeah, I thought it was like a ratchet handle in the beginning.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I"ve received my Avon 550 A/S in 245/45/18. I know it's heavier but I like the side wall of this tire better and the review on tirerack is better than Conti's.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Usual_Suspect,

I went out to garage and tried the torque wrench before. Tried it like what you suggested. 40 torque and then 80 torque. The click was quite noticeable and you can hear it. As soon as it hit 80 torque, I stopped it.

Debating whether or not I should bring tires/rims to installer tommorrow since there's a snow storm tommorrow. Hey, question...

The installers uses impact wrench. Does that mean when I come home I should loosen all the nuts and re-torque it myself?

Thanks...