03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)

I tried to find an 03/04 Radio Removal DIY on g35driver but could only find one for the 05+ which is slight different. I finally found this one and thought i should share. Someone please sticky this or move to DIY section for future reference!!

Check here for the full install link w/ pics: http://g35ipod.com/installHW.php

Text Description:

1. Lower Car Windows (Coupe only). Remember the windows will raise and lower slightly upon opening/closing the door. You don’t want to risk clipping the top of your windows when rolled up while opening and closing your doors during this project.
2. Move Seats all the way back. This will allow you more room to move around during the install.
3. Disconnect the ground terminal of your battery. You don’t want any electrical surprises during your install. You will need to reconnect it later during the installation, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

4. Raise you steering wheel as high as it will go. This will make it easier for you to get at some screws and panels.
5. Remove the screw located below the hood release.

6. Pull down driver panel using notch located under steering column. You don’t have to disconnect any wiring, just let it hang gently.
7. Remove indicated screw of driver side panel. Removal of this screw will make it easier to disengage side panel as well as removal of driver side middle AC vent when you remove the HVAC unit.

8. Remove the indicated screw towards the back of the driver side panel. You may not need to do this, but I found it was easier to move the panels around without this screw in place.

9. Start disengaging driver side panel by pulling the bottom of panel toward the left of vehicle. There are 2 clips that hold the side panel. You don’t have to disconnect the 12V power plug, just let it gently hang. The reason for this removal is to allow enough clearance to remove the left AC vent when removing the HVAC unit.
10. Disengage and lower the passenger side kick plastic plate located under the lower glove box.

11. Loosen the passenger side door trim. This is done to allow the disengagement and removal of the passenger side kick panel.

12. Loosen passenger side kick panel and remove indicated screw. Pull at the bottom of the kick panel toward the left of the vehicle. There is only 1 or 2 clips that need to be disengaged. You don’t have to completely remove this panel. This panel needs to pulled out enough to expose the lower glove box bottom right screw.

13. Remove the lower glove box bottom left screw.

14. Open glove box and remove the 4 screws that hold the top of the glove box.

15. Loosen Glove Box. Gently pull directly down on the glove box and let gently hang. There is no need to disconnect any wires. The tightest wire will be the trunk release cancel switch. The glove box need to hang down in order to remove the passenger side panel.

16. Disengage the passenger side panel by again initially pulling at the bottom of the side panel towards the right of the vehicle. There is no need to disconnect the 12V power plug. This is removed to again allow clearance for the removal of the HVAC unit and clearance of the right AC vent.

17. Taking apart the Center Console: You will need to re-attach the ground terminal on your battery in order to complete the following steps.
18. Put the shifter to 'N'.
19. Remove Shift ***. Pull the lower ring down, then remove the c-clip. The *** pulls right off after that.

20. Remove Center Panel. Lift the console up in the back, directly behind the cup holder. There are no screws, just clips. Then slide the front off by pulling it towards the back gently. There will be a few electrical harnesses you will need to disconnect so you can take the entire center panel out to cut holes and mount your dock. NOTE: Do not attempt to pull off the circular panel underneath the shifter. It does not come off from the top!

21. Remove Infiniti clock trim piece. This is by far, the hardest part of the install. You probably have read others having trouble with it as well, and I can assure you, it’s no picnic. I almost gave up, but thanks to a tip from JT of JT Audio & Accessories in Anaheim I finally got it off. He suggested sliding in some cardboard between the pieces to protect the material, then use a piece of plastic to pry the piece off. I didn’t have much success with any cardboard, but found a ruler that had a rounded beveled edge that worked perfectly. The rounded edges allowed me to do it with no damage to the dash parts. I started from the top left corner, and got enough of an edge so I could stick my fingers underneath the trim, then wiggled and pulled towards the back of the car to get it off. First, take the top two corners off, then the bottom.

22. Disconnect the plug of the LED security light. Place the clock trim piece in a safe place (i.e. the back seat). You truly don’t have to disconnect the power wires and remove the clock or the clock trim piece. You can just lay them up there on the top of the dash. You have to remove these pieces in order to get the aluminum bracket anchor screw in the next few steps.
23. Remove the 2 screws that hold the Infiniti clock. Disconnect the clock plug.

24. Remove the screw that anchors the aluminum bracket.

25. Locate and remove the 2 bottom screws that anchor the HVAC unit and aluminum brackets. These screws are located above the location of the now-removed center console/ashtray/hazard light switch. In this photo, the screws are already removed.

26. Remove the trim plastic piece located above the navi cubby and AC vents. Carefully insert a precision flathead screwdriver and wedge it out. Be careful not to scratch the piece and not to snap it in two by pulling too aggressively. It is a very soft piece of plastic. This trim piece, once initially detached, can be removed easily.

Attached Thumbnails 03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)-20.jpg   03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)-25.jpg   03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)-29.jpg   03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)-30.jpg   03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)-finished.jpg  

Last edited by fl0wmastr; 07-31-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
27. Remove the Radio. Again, put the gear shifter in neutral as the HVAC unit will not clear the shifter if it is left in PARK. Put a towel (or something soft) between the shifter and the bottom of the HVAC unit to prevent any scratches to your nice plastic “titanium” interior. Grab the HVAC unit at the bottom and gently and gradually pull deck down and out. The hardest removal locations are the AC vents and the top aluminum bracket (where you removed the screw). The entire HVAC unit is pretty heavy so again be careful not to scratch any titanium paint. You’ll have to place the removed HVAC unit over the gear shifter and resting it on the black bottom part of the center console (NOT the removed aluminum center console that now is resting on your passenger seat).

28. Disconnect the two indicated plugs on the back of the HVAC unit. Get any screwdriver and push in retaining clip on the bottom of each plug to remove the plug from the HVAC unit. The small plug on the top of this photo is the 12-pin SAT plug, and the larger one on the bottom is the main power plug. Keep in mind, this photo is taken from the top of the dash while the HVAC unit is leaning forward. Technically, if the unit were upright, the SAT plug would be on the bottom and the power plug would be on top.

29. Install the AAI-NIS. There is very little room behind the head unit, so you will need to place the AAI-NIS under the center console and run the wires up behind the HVAC unit. Start by putting the AAI-NIS near the shifter and pull all the cables up from the back.

30. Connect the harnesses. The smaller harness (12-pin) is for the SAT input, and the larger, double-sided harness (10-pin) is for power. Plug the 12-pin harness into the smaller receptacle in the back of the radio. The old 12-pin plug will no longer be used. Insert the 10-pin plug into the larger receptacle in the back of the radio, then connect the old plug to the open harness on the AAI-NIS.

31. Test to make sure it works. Now would be a good time to test to make sure everything works properly. In my case, the AUX1 and AUX2 ports were labeled incorrectly on the AAI-NIS, so I ended up plugging my iPod into what was labeled AUX2, so it would read “SR1” (Satellite Radio 1) on the dash display when it is powered up. Once you confirm everything is working, you will need to unplug all the RCA’s so you can position the AAI-NIS in it’s final resting place.

32. Replace HVAC Unit. If everything works, trace your steps and replace the HVAC unit in the dash. Make sure you take up the slack in the AAI-NIS wires so the wires are long enough for you to position the AAI-NIS in the center console.
33. Remove Arm Rest. Open the arm rest and remove the panel directly underneath the hinge with a flathead screwdriver. Remove the 4 screws holding the arm rest in place.

34. Remove Back Panel. Gently pull the back panel off and disengage any electrical harnesses.
35. Cut holes in the two panels where you want to run your wires. I put mine along the right hand side since the wire on the dock connector of the Belkin Auto Charger goes to the right and that’s also the shortest distance to the power outlet.
36. Position the AAI-NIS underneath the center console. Place the AAI-NIS under the center console. It’s a good idea to keep as many of the wires underneath the horizontal plates as possible. This way, they don’t get in the way when you replace the console pieces. You may have to experiment with plugging and unplugging the RCA cables until you get everything in the right position. Use twist-ties to take-up whatever slack there is in the wires.

37. Connect the AAI-NIS. Run the Radio Shack Specialty Y-Adapter cable from the appropriate side of the AAI-NIS through the hole in the cup holder and plug it into the dock.
38. Connect the Belkin Adapter. Take the cable from the Belkin Power Adapter and run the dock connector from the hole in the storage bin through the hole in the cup holder and connect it to the dock on the other side. I also ran an extra RCA cable from my storage bin to AUX1 (which will read as “SR2” on the dash because of the product mistake mentioned earlier). This allows me to add something later without taking everything apart again. Once the cables are run, you can plug the adapter in for power.

39. Position and bolt the bracketed dock (with cables plugged in) in the cupholder. Remove the interior cupholder and store it for safe-keeping. You won’t be needing it anymore. Make sure you mount the dock in the right position, relative to the hole that you cut in the face plate. It’s important to have everything plugged in now since it’s going to be nearly impossible to connect the plugs once you bolt it down. Depending on your positioning though, you might be able to do it, but I had to un-bolt and re-bolt the dock in order to do it on mine.

40. Snap the center console pieces back onto the car — don’t forget to connect all the electrical harnesses and make sure the new wire you ran is tucked neatly away underneath. The Belkin Auto Charger has a nice velcro strap to take up excess cable.
41. Put the plate on. Here are some shots of the new plate that my friend, Hideki Okuda laser-cut out of ABS plastic for me.

42. The finished product. Note that the dash displays “SR1” for “Satellite Radio 1”

43. The last step. Throw away that stupid FM Transmitter!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Cool

XM + Ipod Install for 03-07 G35's

source: http://integrationsolutions.net/XIA-I01/XIAH-NS1/I-NS1XM/I-NS1XM-6550-GOPERATION.HTML

IPOD/XM INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS DIRECTIONS

Installation Instructions:

Step 1: It is highly recommended that you disconnect the negative battery cable prior to installing this. Do not turn on the vehicle while the SRS wire harness plug is removed from the dash bezel. Doing so may cause the SRS air bag light to turn on and may need to be reset by the dealer. Remove the radio from the dash, if you need instruction on how to do this let us know we will send them to you.

Step 2: After you have removed your factory radio you will need to identify the approprite 12-pin/10-pin connectors on the back of your radio.

The 10-pin plug is your factory radio power harness. This plug is always present on the back of your stereo. You will need to unplug your factory 10-pin power harness and set it aside
The 12-pin is your factory satellite radio input. There may or may not be something plugged in this input already. If you do have something plugged in this, and do not have factory satellite radio then it is your pre-wired sat cable, and you will simply unplug it. Just push it back behind your stereo. The reason this 12-pin plug is here is to allow the dealership to easily install factory satellite radio at a different part of your car. They pre-wire the car at the factory for a easy install of factory equipment. We put a diagram of the factory 12-pin plug below.

Step 3: After you have removed the factory 10/12-pin plugs from the back of your radio you will need to connect the mating plugs from the included harness (included, pictured below). This harness has a male 10/12-pin end and a female 10-pin end as well. First connect the 12-pin plug then once you connect this harness to the back of your factory radio, the connect the 10-pin plug to your factory radio. After those two plugs are connected reconnect the 10-pin power harness you removed from step 2 to the mating female connector on the interface harness. This is a plug-n-play installation.

Step 4: Connet the 20-pin connector of the XIAH-NS1 harness (Pictured above, included) to the mating 20-pin connector on the white Axxess interface, as shown below.

Step 5: Plug the round 8-pin connector (There is 2 of them, the one you will plug in is on a side all by itself) coming off of the XIAH-XMC cable (included, pictured below) into the empty 8-pin connector on the center connector on the Axxess XM interface. Do not force it, it should slide right into place, as shown below.

Step 6: Now it is time to plug in your XM reciever. Take the XMD1000 (included, pictured below) out of its package and plug the XIAH-XMC in (Pictured above, included). This cable (XIAH-XMC) has two 8-pin DIN connectors (you connected one of them to the Axxess XM interface in step 5) and one set of RCA's (attached to same cable, XIAH-XMC). You will need to plug the remaining 8-pin DIN part into the XMD1000 (shown below). Also Plug the left and right (Red & White) RCA's into the XMD1000 as pictured below.

Step 7: Plug the XM antenna (included, pictured below) connector into the pink antenna input of the XMD1000 (included, pictured below). The antenna is super small (2.25" x 1.5" x .5") and has 20 feet of wire to run it to the spot you want.

Step 8: Next it is time to connect the iPOD cable. Plug the white round 10-pin connector coming off of the XIAH-IPC cable (included, pictured below) into the empty 10-pin connector on the right side of the Axxess interface. Do not force it, it should slide right into place, as shown below.

Step 9: Reconnect your negative battery terminal and test the interface before re-installing the dash. You will need to have your car in a place where it can see the sun. See the instructions below for info on accessing the XM or iPOD input from your radio buttons.

Step 10: Hide the XMD1000, and Axxess XM interface somewhere back behind your car that they wont get in anyones way, we recommend behind the glove box just like the factory XM tuner. The XMD1000 is only (3.75" x 4.25" x 1.25") and the Axxess interface is only (3.5" x 2.25" x 1") and should be easy to fit right behind the glove box or back behind your radio. You can mount the XMD1000 with 4 screws or velcro, the Axxess interface should be very slose to it and also use velcro to mount.

Step 11: Route the iPOD cable to a place where you can easily access it to connect your iPOD. While your iPOD is connected you will not be able to use it, your screen will be locked out and it will say "AXXESS" on it. It will be much like connecting it to your computer. Once you disconnect your iPOD you can use the buttons on it. Because of this your glove compartment might be the best spot for your iPOD. Your iPOD cable is 6.5 feet long.

Step 12: Run your XM antenna (to the outside or dash of your vehicle, you have 20 feet of cable to work with). We recommend somewhere in your vehicle where it is not really to noticible. The antenna included in this package is really small (2.25" x 1.5" x .5"). It is recommended that you place the antenna on the outside of your car. However, you can also fit it on the corner of your dash (w/ adhesive tape) or anywhere with a flat magnetic surface. The antenna is magnetic and works really well. It is the best selling/smallest antenna we have ever seen. It is super thin and requires absolutly no-drilling to mount.

Step 13: Once you have the XM Preview Channel up and running, you will need to setup your subscription. You can do so at by clicking HERE. They have a few different packages available for you to choose from, you can check out these different packages by clicking HERE. Once you have your subscription setup you are ready to enjoy XM and over 170 channels of music and programming. Click HERE for a XM channel guide.

IF THESE DO NOT WORK FOR YOU, OR YOU NEED MORE INFO, PLEASE E-MAIL US AT SALES@INTEGRATIONSOLUTIOSN.NET OR CALL US AT 214-306-8031

Attached Thumbnails 03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)-8aad_3.jpg   03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)-8aad_4.jpg   03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)-8aad_5.jpg   03-04 G35 Radio Removal + Ipod Install ! :)-8aad_6.jpg  
Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 PM
XM/IPOD INTERFACE OPERATION DIRECTIONS

How do I switch to XM or iPOD from my factory radio?

Remember You must have a button labeled "RADIO" or "SAT" button for this interface to work

Radios with a PRESET ABC button: Press the PRESET ABC button until "B" is displayed, then press the SAT or RADIO button until XM comes up. This is your iPOD/XM mode. You can toggle between the two (XM & iPOD) by turning on/off your stereo. Leave it off for about a second or two then turn it back on and you will be able to switch from XM to iPOD and vise versa.

Radios without a PRESET ABC button: Press the RADIO or SAT button until XM comes up. This is your XM & iPOD mode. You can toggle between the two (XM & iPOD) by turning on/off your stereo. Leave it off for about a second or two then turn it back on and you will be able to switch from XM to iPOD and vise versa.

What will it say on my Factory Radio while its Playing?

This interface will allow your radio to display Song Title & Artist information from your iPOD & XM (Current song playing) on your factory radio. The information will be showed on your NAV screen (if equipped) if it is integrated into your factory radio system. Some radios require you to press and hold down the DISP button to see artist and song info

Here are the operating instuctions for the XM Radio:

1) Select XM by pressing the “SAT” or "RADIO" button until the SR1/SR2/SR3 comes up on your radio display. If you have a Preset ABC button you will need to select bank 'B', then select the XM by pressing the RADIO or SAT button. If you are already in iPOD mode, then simply turn off your radio and then back on again to go to XM mode.

2) Previous track goes to the next available station down

3) Next track goes to the next available station forward

4) To advance to the next/previous genre of channels press the tune up/down button or CAT FOLDER Right/Left button. The radio will display, for example, “Country,” “Christian” or “Rock” as the music genre.

5) "Scan" will go to the next station every 10 seconds until the button is pressed again.

6) The method of setting presets and selecting presets is the same procedure specified in the radio instructions---to set a preset, hold the button down until you here a beep; to select a preset, just press the desired button.

7) If you have a "RADIO" button instead of a "SAT" button "PTY/DISPLAY" Displays the title and artist of the current song. On radios without the Preset ABC button you will need to press and hold down the DISPLAY or PTY button to activate the text feature.

Here are the operating instuctions for your iPOD from the factory radio:

1) Select the iPod by pressing the “RADIO” or "SAT" button until "iPod in" comes up on the radio display. If you have a Preset ABC button you will need to select bank 'B', then select the iPOD by pressing the RADIO or SAT button until your radio displays iPOD (some radios display XM instead of iPOD, but you will hear your iPOD instead of XM). If you are already in XM mode, then simply turn off your radio and then back on again to go to iPOD mode.

2) Seek Up and Seek Down will go to the next/previous playlist on your iPOD.

3) Tune Up and Tune Down will track up or down from the directory of your iPOD you are in.

4) The "Rewind" and "Fast forward" buttons will allow you to fast forward and rewind the song playing on your iPOD.

5) Preset Recall 1-4; these keys will allow you to browse through your iPod through a variety of browse options. You will need to program these keys first. To program them, simply go to iPOD mode, and then tune up to track 4, radio will say XM4. Then store that as preset #1, the tune up to the next track XM5, and store that as preset #2. Then tune up to the next track, XM6, and store that as preset #3. Then track up to the next track, XM7, and store that as preset #4. The disconnect your iPOD and turn ff your car, then back on again and re-connect your iPOD. Then select your iPOD, now the Browse mode functions should work perfect.

A) Preset Recall 1 is the Browse Up key.

B) Preset Recall 2 is the start and cancel browsing key

C) Preset Recall 3 is the Browse Enter key.

D) Preset Recall 4 is the Browse Down key is the Browse Escape key

To start the Browse feature press the Preset Recall 2 button. At this point press Preset Recall 1 or 4 to display browse options, (for example Playlists, Artists, Songs, Genres, ect…) one at a time. Each time the Preset Recall 1 or 4 is pressed a different browse option is displayed. Once a browse option is desired press the Preset Recall 3 button to lock that option in. This will allow you to browse thru your iPOD in a variety of ways from your factory radio buttons.

When you first enter the iPod mode, buttons 1 to 4 can be used to browse the iPod categories. Press buttons 1 through 4 until you hear a beep when pressing each one. Once that is done, you can browse the iPod. Press 2 to enter browse mode. Then you can press either 1 or 4 to go up or down the selection of categories that can be browsed. When you find the category you would like to browse, press 3. Browse though the selections using the same buttons (1 or 4) until you find your choice and then press 3. Button 3 enters the choice that you have picked. At any time you can end the browsing of the category or browsing mode completely by pressing 2.

6) Scan will play 10 seconds of each track on your iPOD until the button is pressed again.

7) "PTY/DISPLAY" Displays the title and artist of the current song. On raido without the Preset ABC button you must press and hold down the DISP button to turn on the text feature.

8) RPT button repeats the song or the album. When the button is pressed once, the song is repeated. When pressed a second time, the album is repeated. When pressed a third time the repeat function is turned off and normal play is resumed.

What playback funtion controls will I be able to control from my factory radio?

You will be able to control your iPOD the following ways from your factory radio.

Scan (plays each track for few (10) seconds)
Browse (Playlist, Genre, Album & Artist) thru radio buttons
Repeat
Track Up/Down
Fast Track Search (x10)
Fast Forward/Fast Reverse Play

If you would like to know anything else about this interface, E-mail us @ sales@integrationsolutions.net or contact us we will answer any questions you might have.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
I just thought I'd bump this. Just got my PAC NIS2 installed with it and got my touch pro 2 wired into it and now about to wire in my bro's electric guitar.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by pythonjosh
I just thought I'd bump this. Just got my PAC NIS2 installed with it and got my touch pro 2 wired into it and now about to wire in my bro's electric guitar.
Hey are u using usb? or headphone jack?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
headphone jack. With the 2 inputs of the PAC NIS2, I have one for 1/8" and the other for the 1/4"

Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
subscribed.
thanks

Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Bump!

Old 11-23-2014, 12:59 PM
When I press my SAT button the radio says "NO SAT" is that the reason my GROM audio doesnt work?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:09 AM
Great write up. Thanks for sharing !

Old 03-18-2021, 09:07 PM
great write up indeed. Ive been looking for this for an android with good quality.