Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning issue after Double Din Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Conditioning Issues: In-cabin Sensor Fix

i had a kenwood ddx6019 w/ a metra dash kit, swi-jack module & the ipod connection installed, in my 2003 g sedan, over the weekend by "professionals".

today, i turned on my a/c and only hot air comes out. the ONLY time i get any cool air is when i turn the temp down to 60. if i turn it up to 61, it gets hot again.

i read a thread that says it might have something to do w/ a sensor under the steering wheel panel?

please help, thanks.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That thread about the sensor attached to the panel under the steering wheel is correct. It's the cabin air temp sensor. Either the hose or plug are unclipped, or both.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
That thread about the sensor attached to the panel under the steering wheel is correct. It's the cabin air temp sensor. Either the hose or plug are unclipped, or both.
thanks Gilley, you've come through yet again! i'll probably bring it back to the installer unless someone has a photo or quick tutorial of how i can fix myself.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
ok....this also needs to be a sticky....

I think I remember posting pictures on this topic sometime ago.....

malfunctioning AC after a DD install can be 2 problems.....

Here are the 2 usual suspects:

1. The In-cabin sensor - this is the little vent that is about 3"x2" that is located near the driver's right knee while seated. The wire harness sometimes gets accidently disconnected or jarred loose when you drop the panel under the steering wheel.

To fix this, simply raise the steering wheel as high as it goes. Stick your finger in that rectangualr slot below the steering wheel and gently pull downwards to disconnect the retaining clips. You don't need to actually unscrew that screw located under the VDC/trunk release buttons. Look for that in-cabin sensor harness and plug it in more firmly.

2. The AC controller harness - this tends to be the problem more of the time IMO. When you are doing your dash disassembly, when you pull out your HEAVY HVAC unit, you have to disconnect the power, CD changer, speaker, AC controller harness.

The AC controller harness is pretty tricky. There are 2 tiny retaining clips that hold that main AC controller harness to the stock harness. Be very careful with these!!! When reconnecting the AC controller harness, if it is not inserted and reconnected with those 2 tiny retaining clips, the AC will also malfunction.

You want to test your AC after reconnecting the AC controller harness and *BEFORE* you reinsert your HVAC unit and definitely before you reassemble your dash!!!!! Otherwise, if you reassemble everything and you turn your AC on and say "hey, why is my AC only blowing 80 degree air...WTF?!?!?!?" Then, you have diassemble your dash again, remove your HEAVY HVAC unit again and check that AC controller harness and stuff all those wires back in that tiny space behind the dash and reassemble your dash again!

let me find some pics....

hope this helps...
doc

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 03-17-2013 at 11:53 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by docron1:
Divindclown (08-13-2012), EndurAl (10-11-2013), Wrathernaut (06-06-2011), zlikovski (02-19-2013)
Old 06-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilley
+1..
Happened to me a couple of times.
It's very easy to overlook when reassembling the panels.

It could be the board connector, but not likely if you have the controls functioning & readout/indication.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 AM
ok...here are pictures that I just took!

this is the in-cabin sensor:

hope this helps!
doc

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 03-17-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: fix images
The following users liked this post:
EndurAl (10-11-2013)
Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 AM
sticky this baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

doc

Old 06-17-2008, 11:29 AM
suweeeet! im going to give it a shot, see if its really that harness that is loose.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 AM
DONE! it WAS the in-cabin sensor harness. the installer didn't even snap it back in, it was dangling towards the back. everything's as good as new now.

thanks docron1 for taking those photos & info. Easy fix that could've cost me if i hypothetically took it to the stealership. gatta love the forum.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by nismo714
DONE! it WAS the in-cabin sensor harness. the installer didn't even snap it back in, it was dangling towards the back. everything's as good as new now.

thanks docron1 for taking those photos & info. Easy fix that could've cost me if i hypothetically took it to the stealership. gatta love the forum.
no prob....glad it was just that and not the AC harness...

admins....Gord, Russ, can we sticky this too?!?!?

doc

Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nismo714

Crap, for a year now, I have been contemplating on getting my A/C Recharged due to the not ice cold air coming out of the vents. The air is set to 60 on both sides, it blows cold but not ice cold. I opened up underneath the steering wheel, and low and behold, frickin, the in cabin sensor was not plugged in but that didn't solve my issue, still blowing the same cold but not ice cold air, I know it has more potential than that. Any other ideas???

Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by docron1
no prob....glad it was just that and not the AC harness...

admins....Gord, Russ, can we sticky this too?!?!?

doc

Old 06-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Do you have any pics of your install? I just bought a ddx-6019 off ebay yesterday....

Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Russellclaude
Do you have any pics of your install? I just bought a ddx-6019 off ebay yesterday....
-1st photo is the tuner

-2nd photo / playing jpgs not a wallpaper. the lame thing about this unit is they have 6 really cheesy, i mean cheesy, wallpapers (pokadots etc...). but the cool thing is, you can have your jpg photos loop while listening to the tuner/ipod etc.

i just have the ipod hookup, next thing i'll get is the navi (need to save some cash up)

Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioning issue after Double Din Install-1.jpg   Air Conditioning issue after Double Din Install-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Divindclown (08-13-2012)
Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks! I am excited about getting gmy HU in!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning issue after Double Din Install