Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming/noise from speakers with new amp install.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humming/noise from speakers with new amp install.

Hey guys. I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. I tried searching but i couldn't find anything that fit my exact description. So i just recently had Best Buy swap out my front component speakers with Apline type R component speakers and also had them install a new 5 channel amp from precision power. Now, there appears to be "noise" coming from the speakers regardless if the radio is on or off. Even if I turn it on and have the volume low, it does not affect the sound at all. It remains the same. I called best buy and spoke with the person who did the work, and he said that it was due to the stock head unit not being able to turn off of the amp once i turn off the radio. I'm not sure if this is the true reason or he is just trying to get away with doing poor quality work. None the less, i was hoping you guys can chime in. Thanks all!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
He isn't wrong that the radio is truly never "off" but that noise is a result of a bad ground. They should be responsible for this work if they put in the speakers... Because they didt not ground to an appropriate spot. Ask them reground to another location and FIX THE ISSUE. That is their job after all .

Why do I hear of so many best buy installs that go this way? They seem to have good staff.

The following users liked this post:
mphuynh (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by mphuynh
Hey guys. I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. I tried searching but i couldn't find anything that fit my exact description. So i just recently had Best Buy swap out my front component speakers with Apline type R component speakers and also had them install a new 5 channel amp from precision power. Now, there appears to be "noise" coming from the speakers regardless if the radio is on or off. Even if I turn it on and have the volume low, it does not affect the sound at all. It remains the same. I called best buy and spoke with the person who did the work, and he said that it was due to the stock head unit not being able to turn off of the amp once i turn off the radio. I'm not sure if this is the true reason or he is just trying to get away with doing poor quality work. None the less, i was hoping you guys can chime in. Thanks all!
First thing, the amp turns off when the car does, right? If not, they wired it horribly wrong.

Second, they're right that the non Bose unit doesn't have an amp power signal.

However, the humming sound should be barely audible if at all, so I would still blame it on a bad ground.

With how few complaints we see here about best buy, and how many I assume are done, the install guides they use are excellent. My guess is that this one didn't follow them correctly.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, the amp does power off when the car is off, fortunately.

So I just returned from best buy and told them the symptoms. Including the new one I just noticed today where the signal (left/right turn signal) sound is amplified through the speakers as well. He then told me that it's due to the way bose is set up. Blaming it on the fact that they do not have RCA wires and that somehow affected the install. He originally recommended me to get another bose amp instead of going aftermarket but after reading about how horrible the bose amp was, I refused. I then asked him if it could be a bad ground to which he confidently said no. It won't be because of a bad ground. Fortunately, I was persistent and he agreed that he will "diagnose" it for me next Tuesday. Hopefully he isn't some ego maniac that refuses to fix the ground if that was the issue.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yes, the amp does power off when the car is off, fortunately.

So I just returned from best buy and told them the symptoms. Including the new one I just noticed today where the signal (left/right turn signal) sound is amplified through the speakers as well. He then told me that it's due to the way bose is set up. Blaming it on the fact that they do not have RCA wires and that somehow affected the install. He originally recommended me to get another bose amp instead of going aftermarket but after reading about how horrible the bose amp was, I refused. I then asked him if it could be a bad ground to which he confidently said no. It won't be because of a bad ground. Fortunately, I was persistent and he agreed that he will "diagnose" it for me next Tuesday. Hopefully he isn't some ego maniac that refuses to fix the ground if that was the issue.
I was under the impression you didn't have the bose system.

The bose does have an amp on/off signal wire, if the best buy guy didn't know of and use it, he's an idiot. I don't recommend having idiots work on your car.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I was under the impression you didn't have the bose system.

The bose does have an amp on/off signal wire, if the best buy guy didn't know of and use it, he's an idiot. I don't recommend having idiots work on your car.
I apologize for any confusion and excuse my ignorance for I am not sure what you mean by "Bose system". I still have the stock Head unit and all the speakers aside from the front components are still stock. The amp on the other hand is not the stock bose amp, it is an after market 5 channel amp from precision power.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I apologize for any confusion and excuse my ignorance for I am not sure what you mean by "Bose system". I still have the stock Head unit and all the speakers aside from the front components are still stock. The amp on the other hand is not the stock bose amp, it is an after market 5 channel amp from precision power.
The "premium" audio system in these cars was sorta done by bose. If you had it, it's got the bose logo on the factory headunit trim. If you had it at all, there's an amp power signal wire. Since your installer said it didn't have that signal wire, I assumed you didn't have it. Since you said you did have it, it's more idiot points lumped onto your installer.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:24 AM
If that was the case, then yes, I do have the bose system. Now, this wire that you mentioned. Does that turn off the amp when I turn off the radio?

Old 11-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

If that was the case, then yes, I do have the bose system. Now, this wire that you mentioned. Does that turn off the amp when I turn off the radio?
Yep.