Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any way to access iPOD/AUX box without removing AC/Radio on a 05 AT G35x?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Is there any way to access iPOD/AUX box without removing AC/Radio on a 05 AT G35x?

Hi All,

I just bought my first G (a 2005 G35x). I've been reading through the forums for a few weeks now, and I wanted first to say thanks! There's a ton of great information and I appreciate the effort that the members have put into long tutorial write-ups.

Currently, I would like to install bluetooth call handling and music streaming into this car. In my old car, I had an aftermarket HU and it was easy to install but I've learned over the last few weeks that it's not so simple with a G35x: to install a HU you have to buy the JDM/Metra kit. Besides having to pay 300+/150+ respectively for the double din AC kits, I'd also have to cut into the wood trim, which I believe a member has done (but I'm not a pro like him/her!)

Thus, I've arrived at the conclusion that I need to install a GROM bluetooth kit. It sounds like USA-SPEC doesn't have a compatible Bluetooth kit for the 05 G35x.

The car has an AUX cable and iPod cable located beneath the 12V socket below the center armrest (next to the coin tray, not the ashtray). I watched Wrathernaut's YouTube video re: removing the center console, removed the entire assembly piece for the armrest + cupholders, and removed the plate underneath the shift ****. I noticed that the 2 cords (AUX/iPOD) ran into the center console behind the AC/Radio. I am able to access the AUX input via the radio button on my stereo.

I found, in another thread, that the 06 G35 SAT radio harness is "located under the rear package tray on the passenger side" (credit: Mustang 5L5). Is it possible that, on the 05 G35x, the SAT radio harness is also located under the rear package tray, and if so, can I access it without removing the AC/radio? Ultimately, I'd like to take a look at it to determine whether I need to buy a new box entirely or whether I can just add a bluetooth microphone/dongle to it.

Anyway, thanks so much for reading! Sorry if I missed a thread dedicated to this problem - I tried to read as much as I could!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
In a 2005 G35, the SAT cable is behind the rear seat on the passenger side. If you remove the trim from the trunk up against the seats, you will find it there.

However, it's a factory-specific connector, and AFAIK, only the OEM at radio or OEM nissan Ipod kit will connect to it.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
In a 2005 G35, the SAT cable is behind the rear seat on the passenger side. If you remove the trim from the trunk up against the seats, you will find it there.

However, it's a factory-specific connector, and AFAIK, only the OEM at radio or OEM nissan Ipod kit will connect to it.
I presume it's the USA SPEC PA15-INFI box that I currently have? I just read in another thread that Wrathernaut commented that the G35's with wood trim are USA SPEC...

Does this mean I'd be unable to take that out and swap in a GROM Audio box such as the following? http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by djtalon
I presume it's the USA SPEC PA15-INFI box that I currently have? I just read in another thread that Wrathernaut commented that the G35's with wood trim are USA SPEC...

Does this mean I'd be unable to take that out and swap in a GROM Audio box such as the following? http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
Nevermind! I think I know enough to properly understand this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ory-radio.html

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to do the same thing to my 05 sedan...keep me updated on your experience with the install and quality of the Grom adapter/bluetooth quality.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts

Just for clarification (for others who may be checking this thread).

If it's plugged into the back of the radio, and has an iPod connection, it's most likely the USASPEC PA15-NIS, or PAC ISNI571, they're functionally the same, and both connect to the back of the radio. The PA15-INFI connects to the satellite harness at the trunk.

The GROM connects to the back of the radio, so you'd have to remove the radio and remove the old adapter to put in the GROM.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut

If it's plugged into the back of the radio, and has an iPod connection, it's most likely the USASPEC PA15-NIS, or PAC ISNI571, they're functionally the same, and both connect to the back of the radio. The PA15-INFI connects to the satellite harness at the trunk.

The GROM connects to the back of the radio, so you'd have to remove the radio and remove the old adapter to put in the GROM.
Is there a preference or consensus as to which of the two is better for our cars?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
Is there a preference or consensus as to which of the two is better for our cars?
From what I gathered, USA Spec does not make a Bluetooth kit for the 05 sedan. Mods, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I ordered the GROM audio BT3 for about $140 on Newegg. I decided against the GROM USB3 bc it would have been $150 plus a $50 Bluetooth dongle. The BT3 I ordered comes with the dongle and has the ports for aux and iPod but does not come with those cords. It doesn't matter to me though - I just want the Bluetooth calls and streaming. I'm happy to document the install in this thread.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut

Thanks Wrathernaut. I'll follow your instructions in the YouTube video. I checked the trunk today. There's a wire running down the driver side behind the rear seats and it runs through a hole on the bottom of the trunk. From my preliminary dismantling of the center console, I can see the wires going behind the stereo, so I deduced that the USA Spec box is connected to the stereo. I'm certain that the Grom box comes with an adapter harness which plugs into the radio.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 AM
djtalon,

I will be following in your foot steps in the next few weeks so any documentation on your experience would greatly be appreciated! Any particular reason you chose the Grom over the Audiovox(Dice) option? Both offer Bluetooth and similar capabilities from what I can see.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
djtalon,

I will be following in your foot steps in the next few weeks so any documentation on your experience would greatly be appreciated! Any particular reason you chose the Grom over the Audiovox(Dice) option? Both offer Bluetooth and similar capabilities from what I can see.
Frankly, RedBeauty84ZX, I didn't really consider the Audiovox. First, from all of the forum threads I read on this site, it seemed like most people have either USA SPEC or GROM boxes. I figure I'd prefer to own a solution that is widely owned so that, if I run into issues, others have as well. So TBH I don't know anything about Audiovox except that it seems like fewer people own it.

This is the Wrathernaut center console removal video to which I was referring earlier. It's terrific:

And these are probably the most useful threads I've found:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...x-install.html

This is the device I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0092-_-Product

I anticipate it will be here in about a week or so. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Frankly, RedBeauty84ZX, I didn't really consider the Audiovox. First, from all of the forum threads I read on this site, it seemed like most people have either USA SPEC or GROM boxes. I figure I'd prefer to own a solution that is widely owned so that, if I run into issues, others have as well. So TBH I don't know anything about Audiovox except that it seems like fewer people own it.

This is the Wrathernaut center console removal video to which I was referring earlier. It's terrific:
2005 - 2007 G35 Radio Removal - YouTube

And these are probably the most useful threads I've found:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...x-install.html

This is the device I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0092-_-Product

I anticipate it will be here in about a week or so. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks djtalon. I also found this video which does a good job highlighting the installation process for the GROM unit:

Trying to decide where the best play to install the Bluetooth Mic will be. Also wondering if you can use a different mic than the one supplied from Grom as their mic isn't the prettiest.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The video is ok, and I may be biased, but I'd follow my guide for removing the radio, the way he removes the upper clock trim has potential to break the little plastic tabs and permanently make the top piece wobbly.

The GROM bluetooth microphone is a standard mono channel mic with a 3.5mm plug, so you've got any number of microphones to choose from. I used a garmin external microphone for my install over the factory Pioneer microhpones, but they use a 2.5mm plug.

As for bluetooth mic placement, I've been wanting to hook up a microphone to a decibel meter and test multiple locations for the absolute least wind/road noise location, but I'm pretty sure (near) the factory bluetooth mic location is best. I tried in the cash cluster, but anytime you make a turn and your hands or the steering wheel go in front of it, it goes super quiet on the other end. I also tried the upper corner by the sun visor, but there's more wind noise there than the center mount I ended with:

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 01-16-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Wrathernaut, is that where your microphone is currently? Next to the drop down sunglasses holder?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yep.

I do calls on the freeway @ 75mph frequently, no complaints.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there any way to access iPOD/AUX box without removing AC/Radio on a 05 AT G35x?